Flat Racing 15th Feb

chris34

1.50 Southwell Not hard to cross several of these out as 'near' impossible to win in this big field handicap several running out of the handicap and several well out of form. Muqalad stayed on quite well at the finish over CD, that was first run on fibresand and yard does do well round here but looked as though would need extra furlong to be seen at best on that evidence. Another that caught my eye last time out was Convince who is a twice course winner from 6 starts round here and was staying on extremely well again at the finish after a tardy start and wide draw, draw hasnt been kind again this time round but can be expected to come on for the run and has to be of interest in such a weak race. The other that will carry a small amount for me is Figaro Flyer who is a reguarlar round here, 16 runs 3 wins and several placed efforts, won round here on penultimate start round here over CD up 3lb for that, didnt cut much mustard round kempton last time out under young apprentice, Stainton takes back the ride and well drawn back round here in stall 2 and has won off much higher marks before. 0.2pt win Figaro Flyer 0.1pt win Convince 3.20 Southwell Bawaardi looks worth opposing having run on the fibresand twice and on neither occasion really created the impression he handles it although a second last time behind Advertisement could read well in this race. Transonic didnt beat all that much in a course claimer last time out although that was over a lot further than he is used to, he is 3 from 9 over todays CD including winning this race last year. Still above last winning mark by 2lb but confidence should be boosted and if blinkers bring about a respark should be somewhere in the finish. The most interesting runner for me is Sweet Child O'mine for Guest whos horses have been running well recently. Has a very good record fresh and comes into this race fresh and is well suited to Southwell conditions having won twice round here and is 2 from 2 over CD, and won a heavy ground conditions event in autumn. 6lb above last winning handicap mark but could still have more to offer and very useful apprentice takes off a handy 3lb. 0.2pt win Transonic 3/1 vc 0.3pt win Sweet Child O'Mine 6/1 bet365

Re: Flat Racing 15th Feb 1:50 Southwell Wide open contest here over what should be a rapidly run 6 furlongs, with many potential pacesetters lining up in opposition. It ain't easy to make up ground here on a course that favours front runners, however, the two I'm going for here are tactically versatile and can drop in behind or follow up with the pace. The first of them is the Kevin Prendergast trained Convince, who at 10 year old, is certainly in his twilight years but shaped quite promisingly on his first start since rejoining this yard. He was slowly away last time out but ran on with real purpose, shaping as if needing the run on the back of a 4 month run. He's fully entitled to come on for that and now that he's off a mark of 55, against poorer animals and in a race likely to be run to suit, I think his 3rd course win beckons. The trainer does well at this course, Probert looks an interesting booking and at around the 6/1 mark, he's worth a small/medium sized stake. The next one that interested me was Andrew Reid's lightly raced Attrition, who has only seen a racecourse on 6 occasions. He traveled well on a couple of his runs over turf and is one I expect to have enough ability to land a contest like this off his lowly mark of 49. He's only a 4 year old and hasn't really shown too much yet but handled soft ground on the turf and seemed to be alright on this surface when making his fibresand debut a couple of weeks ago. He finished down the field but was slowly away in a race run at a frantic gallop, which put paid to any hopes he had. However, that was on the back of a 3 month break and he's bound to come on for that. If the step up in trip combined with improved fitness works in his favour then I think he'll prove to be overpriced at something hopefully around the 20/1 mark. James Doyle is taking over too which is a big positive in my book and he's a jockey I really rate. Assuming he can get this potential improver positioned well, then I think his threats to finish strongly could be increased over the extra distance. He's worth chancing with a small bet, assuming the price is reasonable. Currently trading around the 14/1 mark but I'm hoping that'll go out a bit come the morning time. Selections - Convince - 2pts @ 11/2 (Bet365) Attrition - 1pt @ 22/1 (VC)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.