Fishy Questions

Fat Andy

Hi, I've a few questions and would appreciate some advice. At the moment I'm probably every poker sites ideal player, a recreational fish who deposits and then donks it off on micro cash or small stakes mtt's, sometimes quicker than others. I don't tilt much but one of my faults is patience or just boredom, esp the larger tourneys with all the sit outs etc. I've run deep a few times then when min cashed had enough and blown it off. I'm giving up the micro stakes cash, the gamblers/bingo players who play any two every hand and chase all the way for a one outer have bust me too many times now. I know I need to improve my patience, but if I want to start taking poker more seriously, Should I invest in software? What books should I be looking to read? Should I start with a bigger bankroll if I intended to play some cash and play a bit higher stakes such as 5c/10c and take it from there Are the large field freerolls a good way of learning? Are training sites worth a go? Thanks in advance

Re: Fishy Questions

i I'm giving up the micro stakes cash, the gamblers/bingo players who play any two every hand and chase all the way for a one outer have bust me too many times now.
Annoying as it is those are actually the most profitable players on the net to play against. They are calling with bad odds so you will win in the long run. And they also pay you off.

Re: Fishy Questions I'd argue that it's never too early for software. If the very least it does for you is track your results and profit and loss. Knowing exactly what you are winning and losing can go a long way in focusing your mind for improvement. I would also suggest picking a game and sticking to it, cash or tournies. If you choose tournies it may be worth starting with STT's and hitting them hard to get experience of a range of different situations. Most of all enjoy your poker. If you want to just deposit, play and lose I see no problem as long as you can afford it and enjoy it. (Just let me know where you play! ;-P) Personally I think it's harder to become a good cash player and it takes a bit longer to become profitable and have more winning sessions than losing ones. You will also find bingo players at all levels, I've played up to $1/$2 and dabbled as a shortie on $2/$4 and there were still plenty there, if they are hurthing you then you are probably playing outside your comfort zone. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Re: Fishy Questions Yes try not to listen to bad advice as well. As spanner as said invest in software (HEM is the best one out there) and yes use training sites, coaches or anything else you want to invest your money in as the alternative is what you are doing now and investing money through painful experience, there is a shorter and probably more cost effective route.

Re: Fishy Questions if boredoms a problem fire up a couple of low buy in stt's while your playing cash or mtts - if there all on such sites as Pokerstars or Full Tilt then I find if I stack them over each other (layout option) that you can keep them popping up to relieve the boredom, plus your mind is more concentrated than it is if you start sufing the net due to boredom