2011 Boxing Thread

DafsT

I'm not sure if its my place to start this years boxing thread, but I'm going to do it regardless because there's a decent schedule coming up next week with two alphabet title fights, two European title fights and a nice domestic dust-up. Last year there were a few people active in the boxing thread, so I hope that there'll be a similar interest this time round. I'm not a moderator or anything, but I guess you have to state the odds and your bookmaker choice with every selection, along with a few lines of reasoning behind your bet. Keep track of your own record unless someone volunteers to. Good luck everyone! :hope

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Stephane Jamoye @ 4/1 SportingBet 5 points Stephane Jamoye by decision @ 15/2 SportingBet 2 points Stephane Jamoye UD @ 16/1 SkyBet 1 point Over 8.5 Total Rounds @ 1/2 StanJames 10 points Jamie McDonnell has done much better than I expected him to in his last three fights, winning his last two by stoppage. The win over Ian Napa was very controversial, and I thought that Napa deserved the nod in that fight. Napa is the best name on McDonnell's resume as regards to world rankings, but its hard to really gauge how good Jerome Arnould was. He had lost to Wladimir Sidorenko by seventh round stoppage, so he was no higher than fringe contender. Stephane Jamoye poses a different challenge. Coming off a close split decision loss to Tomoki Kameda (arguably the most naturally gifted Kameda brother but still slightly raw), proves that Jamoye is not an easy fight like Bracco. He's a lot shorter than McDonnell and not as slippery as Napa, but he's a very effective fighter once he gets to work with his combinations. I don't think Jamoye is much better than McDonnell, but he should no way be priced @ 4s. I can't see McDonnell having the power to stop Jamoye, who is a tough character. Jamoye's style of grinding his opponents down could force a late stoppage, but neither guy carries the kind of one-punch power to end this early on. I think @ 1.5 that Over 8.5 Total Rounds is a gift of a bet from StanJames. Steve Cunningham by decision @ 8/11 SportingBet (8 points) I think Steve Cunningham is the best cruiserweight in the world at the moment, and with his move to Sauerland Promotions, should secure a lot of quality fights over the next year. His first step in 2011 comes against Enad Licina, a fighter with two losses to recognizable names to the hardcore fan. One of those losses came in his fourth professional contest to Aleksey Kuziemski, with the other more recent against Yoan Pablo Hernandez, who's turning out to be one of the better fighters at 200 pounds. Licina is no pushover and should offer some resistance for Cunningham, but I see U.S.S. utilizing his jab and using his superior boxing skills to win a comprehensive decision.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.