Weight and OR

Tull

Hi quick question for all the knowledgable people. When considering a horse for selection do you consider one or both of the above? Or is it simple as saying they are one and the same? I've always thought that being up more lbs is more important than the actual weight being carried but I'm not sure As example would be James De Vasey tomorrow. He is up 20lbs from his highest winning mark yet he is only carrying 11-2 in a class 2. He has been second in a C2 on hvy carrying 11-9 and 3rd in a G3 carry 11-4 so despite being up 20lbs it would appear that he has a decent racing weight. Initially I'd say he is too high to win but on reflection it might not be an issue. Sorry if this does not make sense but thought I'd ask

Re: Weight and OR Definitely OR for me:ok There are some horses that appreciate a light weight but, in the main, it's whether or not the horse is handicapped out of it or not. Generally, I actually back horses at the top of the weights because it's fact that, in handicaps, a greater percentage of horses win coming down in the class (which normally means OR too) than when going up in the class. Going up in OR and in class often leads to false favourites. Look at Ajara today. I think I said in a recent post on here that I sometime adopt the 7lb rule when moving up or down in class. For example: Horse A loses in a Class 3, finishing midfield, and is dropped 2lb in the weights. Horse B wins in a Class 5, by half a length, and is raised 5lb in the weights. They next race in a Class 4 handicap. You'd often find Horse B going off fav, with Horse A an EW price. I'd actually flip the odds because I'd have Horse A 9lb better off than its last run and Horse B 12lb worse off than its last run. Admittedly, the latter has a '1' next to its name but, provided the former has shown some promise, it's definitely the one to be on, in my opinion:ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.