BBotD Thurs 13/01/11

Southwell 3.00 - The Lock Master - win at 7/1 BOG with Bet365 This horse has chased home the highly impressive Dubai Hills on his last 2 outings at respectful distances of 13 lengths and 8 lengths - but he's getting closer ! Take that hotpot out and he could be coming here looking for a hat trick He clearly acts on the track and should be suited by stepping back to 8 furlongs today. In both those races against Dubai, over 7F, he ran on to take second place late in the race Now it could be that the other horses had burned themselves out trying to keep up with Dubai - the Nacarat Syndrome ? - but my impression from watching those races was that the pace was normal until Dubai whooshed away in the straight and the others just ran their normal race and didn't chase after him The lock master's only win came at 8 furlongs on the AW at dundalk and he's now on a 4 lb lower mark. His 2 speed figs behind Dubai are both better than any of the last 2 figs of any of the other horses. Basically he's been running faster than them even tho' he's been thrashed by many lengths. Quick round up of the others......... Ace of spies - a mile will test his stamina, prob won't stay Bentley - career best needed after 87 career runs, unlikely Exopuntia - looks held now after wins in lower grade French Art - not sure to act track, wins on poly and g/f turf Ubenkor - looks held, keeps going up for placed runs Lakeman - the danger ! In good nick, acts on the track

Re: BBotD Thurs 13/01/11 2.20 Catterick Newman des Plages 14/1 e/w bet365 This one returned this season from a break and won really well where he seemed to be outpaced before staying on strongly past a horse who re-opposes today in Overquest. Overquest stepped up in trip next time out won well over 3m3f which gives the win over the horse a nice look to it. The selection was then thought good enough to run a listed race at Aintree where he fell. The step up in trip is a bit of an unknown with the horse but well worth a try. Think the 12lb rise for the favourite might just find him out and there are enough doubts amongst the other runners to give my selection a chance. They make Overquest almost joint fav in the race who my selection beat quite comfortably this season first time out. So I think at double the odds of that one, newman des plages is well worth an investment.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.