Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase

However if Time for Rupert had won the Argento, by all accounts connections would have been tempted to go for the Gold Cup, which would have been a mistake IMO. I think he could be a serious Gold Cup contender in years to come - but not this year.
Why do Gold Cup winners need to go RSA route? If I had a horse like TFR I would have gone Gold Cup straight away. In fact I would have gone novice chasing last year. Why waste time in World Hurdle against Big Bucks? Horses peak for couple of years and then they lose form. Only freaks like Kauto and Denman come back and win big races. If you have a Gold Cup horse and you can identify it early, run him as a novice hurdler over shorter and go straight to chasing the next year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like 1833' date=' but Ruby has chosen Mikael D'Haguenet and after such a disappointing novice campaign I thought he'd be on 1833. It shows which one of the two he rates. I thought he'd ignore Mikael after all this year's disappointments. Ruby usually knows what to choose and is a major worry he's not on 1833 imo.[/quote'] Interesting. Makes me more confident if I'm honest. Was more concerned about 1833. Mikael is rated 10lbs inferior to TFR over hurdles and Rupert has had a much better chase campaign imo.

I like 1833' date=' but Ruby has chosen Mikael D'Haguenet and after such a disappointing novice campaign I thought he'd be on 1833. It shows which one of the two he rates. I thought he'd ignore Mikael after all this year's disappointments. Ruby usually knows what to choose and is a major worry he's not on 1833 imo.[/quote'] very suprised by Rubys decision and 1833 is a cracking price. Ruby has obviously schooled the irish horse and maybe committed to riding it for the owners, who knows. Who will be on 1833 then? JAcob seems to be picking up a few for Nicholls and is possibly next best i suppose.

Interesting. Makes me more confident if I'm honest. Was more concerned about 1833. Mikael is rated 10lbs inferior to TFR over hurdles and Rupert has had a much better chase campaign imo.
Mikael would have trashed Jessy's Dream first time out this season, but fell at the last. Then it took him a bit of time to get over the fall. Trainer said he's never fallen in his career. Last time he was hampered when still going well. Ruby said after the Ballymore he is a Gold Cup horse, so maybe he knows a bit more about him :eyes Hurdles rating doesn't say anything. If you got antepost price on Ruppert, then it's a great bet (what was he, 8/1?), but at 9/4 I think he's pretty much opposable. He beat absolutely nothing in the WH. Karabak, Powerstation, Ebadiyan :unsure Big Bucks can beat a 90 rated hurdler by 2L and always does just enough. Good luck to everyone on him, but I've said from day one that he'd always be underpriced due to the World Hurdle 3L defeat to Biug Bucks, which for me is nothing inspiring. Plus I always like novice chasers, who have bypassed championship races and have only had one year hurdling.

very suprised by Rubys decision and 1833 is a cracking price. Ruby has obviously schooled the irish horse and maybe committed to riding it for the owners' date=' who knows. Who will be on 1833 then? JAcob seems to be picking up a few for Nicholls and is possibly next best i suppose.[/quote'] Ye, it's Daryl. Great booking, but I think Ruby is on Mikael for a reason. No commitment for owners. He just thinks Mikael is a Gold Cup horse. He said it numerous times after the Ballymore. The only doubt is if he's over that fall. He has looked a bit deliberate so far and his season's been disappointing, but Ruby on is a big boost.

Mikael would have trashed Jessy's Dream first time out this season, but fell at the last. Then it took him a bit of time to get over the fall. Trainer said he's never fallen in his career. Last time he was hampered when still going well. Ruby said after the Ballymore he is a Gold Cup horse, so maybe he knows a bit more about him :eyes Hurdles rating doesn't say anything. If you got antepost price on Ruppert, then it's a great bet (what was he, 8/1?), but at 9/4 I think he's pretty much opposable. He beat absolutely nothing in the WH. Karabak, Powerstation, Ebadiyan :unsure Big Bucks can beat a 90 rated hurdler by 2L and always does just enough. Good luck to everyone on him, but I've said from day one that he'd always be underpriced due to the World Hurdle 3L defeat to Biug Bucks, which for me is nothing inspiring. Plus I always like novice chasers, who have bypassed championship races and have only had one year hurdling.
Ifs and buts though isn't it? The stats, for whatever reason, shows 0-4 in chases (including 1 in France). Was hampered last time but I'd still have liked to see it rally a little. Never run over 3 miles too. Far too many question marks for me. Hurdles form may not be hugely important, but when you consider TFR is primed to make a far superior chaser than hurdler, it's going to be a seriously highly rated chaser. Even if the form of the World Hurdle wasn't fantastic - its attidude was excellent - and in comparison to its rivals here, it is very decent hurdle form. You can't fault its chasing form either. Look at the horses it's beaten - Hells Bay over an insufficient trip, Quinz 17l, and useful yardstick in Chicago Grey. Short price or not, I don't see a better horse in the race. The only thing that will beat it imo is its wellbeing, and even if it doesn't win on Wednesday, it will go on to be the best chaser in the field. To achieve what it did as a hurdler was pretty impressive considering it's always been a chaser in the making, however irrelevant you think it may be.

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase I'm not saying Mikael will beat him, my thoughts were that the boat has sailed with 1833. He was 16/1 after his last win and now 8/1 with Ruby not on him. Looks a slowboat the way he runs. A 4 miler the way I see it. My biggest fancy for the race is Wymott. I think there's a serious engine in that horse and is often ignored, because of his unusual headcarriage. Not such a strong form, but I liked the way he has been responding over shorter than ideal trips. Quickens every time Jason asks him to. For me finishing 2nd in such a weak World Hurdle is worse form than winning a Ballymore :D As for chasing form this year. Chicago Grey is a plodder. Even 4 milers will be short for him and Gordon Elliot thinks he is stone weaker than Jessy's Dream. Quinz likes flatter tracks and getting beat by Chicago Grey proves it. Hell's Bay is temperamental, he can finish 2nd to anything.

I'm not saying Mikael will beat him, my thoughts were that the boat has sailed with 1833. He was 16/1 after his last win and now 8/1 with Ruby not on him. Looks a slowboat the way he runs. A 4 miler the way I see it. My biggest fancy for the race is Wymott. I think there's a serious engine in that horse and is often ignored, because of his unusual headcarriage. Not such a strong form, but I liked the way he has been responding over shorter than ideal trips. Quickens every time Jason asks him to. For me finishing 2nd in such a weak World Hurdle is worse form than winning a Ballymore :D As for chasing form this year. Chicago Grey is a plodder. Even 4 milers will be short for him and Gordon Elliot thinks he is stone weaker than Jessy's Dream. Quinz likes flatter tracks and getting beat by Chicago Grey proves it. Hell's Bay is temperamental, he can finish 2nd to anything.
You can pick holes in anyone's form though! You can say TFR hasn't beaten much over fences but is there anything good to beat?! I'd say regardless of their flaws in certain circumstances, Quinz (I'm no expert but won at Exeter pretty well - that isn't flat is it?) and Hells Bay is still solid form. Especially considering some of the main challengers are coming across from Ireland and tend to all race each other - so hard to gauge! And what you say about Big Bucks can be said for TFR imo. Well they're completely different horses obviously, but Rupert isn't going to beat horses on the bridle by 30 lengths. I simply can't see it getting beat as long as he turns up 100%. That concerns me enough not to lump on at 9/4, but not the opposition. All opinion though, which is great. I'm not gonna come on here and expect to be right, or agreed with, I will be vastly more inexperienced than most on here, so it's all a learning curve too. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up! Just say it how I see it :ok

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase Of course mate, just a banter really. This is my opinion on the race and why I don't make him a bet at 9/4. I'm on Wymott and Mikael at 16/1 so well happy with those two. If I had to play now, I'd be mainly Wymott EW at 10/1 with a saver on Mikael.

Of course mate' date=' just a banter really. This is my opinion on the race and why I don't make him a bet at 9/4. I'm on Wymott and Mikael at 16/1 so well happy with those two. If I had to play now, I'd be mainly Wymott EW at 10/1 with a saver on Mikael.[/quote'] No I don't see him as a bet at 9/4 either - nor anything really in competitive novice races, which is why I've only played smallish stakes in doubles and trebles. No real concern if they don't come off. I did tell Monterosso from here last summer that this was the one horse to watch this year. Was 12/1 for the RSA then, but I either wasn't betting then, or didn't see it worthwhile as anything can happen between now and then - and even 12/1 isn't exactly snap their hands off material. Looks good now, though.

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase 2.40 Cheltenham - 5pts win Time For Rupert @ 11/4 (Paddy Power) If this horse had run this calendar year it would be a 10pt bet, but I still think he'll take some beating. Doesn't appear to have any chinks in his armour. Excellent over hurdles for a horse always going to be a staying chaser. By Flemensfirth who has great success with its stayers, and especially at Cheltenham. He has a likable attitude who will battle with all his heart, jumps excellently, stays very strongly, and loves it around Cheltenham (never out of top 2). Its form in two novice chasers looks the best on offer with horses well beaten behind Time For Rupert running very well since. Hell's Bay was a narrow second to Medermit, Quinz won the Racing Post Chase, and 4 horses behind TFR on his chasing debut ran excellently yesterday... Reve De Sivola ran 3rd in the Arkle whilst Divers, Quantitativeeasing and Vino Griego filled 3 of the first 4 places in the last race of the day. If he's all ready to go (Kennedy reportedly very happy) then he will take some stopping up the hill. Stats go against him but looks to be the ultimate package, and has everything you want in an RSA hopeful (apart from a recent run!).

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase RSA Chase Wymott 1pt win - 16/1 (antepost) Mikael D'haguenet 1pt win - 14/1 (antepost) Mikael D'Haguenet 0.75pt win - 11/1 Time For Ruppert 1pt win - 11/4 Quel Esprit 0.25pt win - 20/1 2 additional pts for me. Making Mikael my main bet. Return to faster pace and quicker ground will suit. Ruby riding as well is a key. Think he will run a big race tomorrow. Have to save stake on Rupert, who got another form boost today and at 11/4 is actually a good price. And a tiny saver on Quel Esprit, who I've always rated and could outrun his price. Wymott I still haven't given up on, but cheekpieces in a Grade 1 race is a worry and he might need softer surface. 4pts overall.

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase It's becoming harder to ignore Nicholls comments and confidence in aiteen thirtythree. Then again Nicholls is a walking contradiction at times. I'm expecting excuses about him being a big horse who needs softer ground. This horse does look to have some serious potential. I know it's a cliche, however the evidence is there and i'd hope he runs a big race.

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase Wayward Prince won the staying novices hurdle at Aintree last April and is also unbeaten (in three starts) over fences. He was particularly impressive last time in the Towton at Wetherby, where the small field, slow pace and softish ground were all against him. However, he really showed his tenacity and stamina that day and the further they went the better he travelled. I am going to put my neck out and say that Time for Rupert could be beaten today in the RSA Wayward prince goes on good ground so I will have an E/W on him at 9/1 Time for Rupert is the class act and I love him - I do not like the fact that he has not had a run for 95 days and as yesterday showed a few fancies with out a run over 90 days got beaten well and truly. The other one I like is Boston's Angel 16/1 he stays and gallops. :hope Bostons Angel Wayward Prince E/W

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase 2.40 Extremeley competitive with a handful in with a chance, Master Of The Hall could get Nicky Hendersons campaign off after all those places yesterday, Weighted to go well again beat to useful sorts in Billie Magern & The Minack, This will be a lot tougher but i can see him making the frame, Time For Rupert is the one everyone is talking about and i will not be leaving him out, beat Chicago Grey LTO and that form looks strong as Chicago has just franked that form by winning here earlier, Wayward Prince is another not to be ignored, McCoy takes the mount from the injured Dougie Costello, Won his last 4 races by 15 lengths and could record yet another win if taking to the big stage. Advice back Time For Rupert 12 Point Win @ 2/1 (VCBet) Wayward Prince 7 Point E/W @ 8/1 (Stanjames) Master Of The Hall 3 Point E/W @ 20/1 (Paddypower)

Re: Wed 2.40 : RSA Steeple Chase Wayward Prince won the staying novices hurdle at Aintree last April and is also unbeaten (in three starts) over fences. He was particularly impressive last time in the Towton at Wetherby, where the small field, slow pace and softish ground were all against him. However, he really showed his tenacity and stamina that day and the further they went the better he travelled. I am going to put my neck out and say that Time for Rupert could be beaten today in the RSA Wayward prince goes on good ground so I will have an E/W on him at 9/1 Time for Rupert is the class act and I love him - I do not like the fact that he has not had a run for 95 days and as yesterday showed a few fancies with out a run over 90 days got beaten well and truly. The other one I like is Boston's Angel 16/1 he stays and gallops. :hope Bostons Angel WON 16/1 :clap Wayward Prince 3RD E/W WELL whatabout that - hope you guys had an E/W

Sorry for making this one my 1st Post' date=' but what were the results for the 2.40 RSA Steeple Chase?[/quote'] RESULT - RSA Chase 3m ½f (1440) 1. Bostons Angel (Robbie Power) 16-1 2. Jessies Dream (Timmy Murphy) 10-1 3. Wayward Prince (Tony McCoy) 15-2