Why do trainers campaign horses over the wrong distance?

bowles10

Re: Why do trainers campaign horses over the wrong distance? Hen and Terry are old school, they probably don't recognise the "new" Ryanair as a top race. They might prefer to have a 7/1 chance of winning the Champion Chase than 7/2 for the Ryanair. In contrast to some here, I do not believe the going at Ascot was as soft / testing as the official ground. Time almost beat the standard. Fact they were finishing tired more to do with the fast pace rather than state of the turf. In an already fast run race, (as he himself said afterwards) AP quickened it still further. Being a genuine 2 miler, he was capable doing so, having a lot of the others pushing along at that point. Going well around the turn until his excertions told. Is better than the distances suggest. The two things different with Somersby's performance yesterday than previously, was pace and the way he was ridden. Given a prominent position and a fast pace, Somersby IS capable of top class form at 2 miles. With a bit of give in the ground and more importantly a strongly run race, he would have the pace to be competitive in the Champion. Somersby was rated with a "p" (for improvement likely) in Timeform beforehand and might improve a bit further. Though possibly more so given 2m5f. Too far out to say what Petit Robin would have done. Kalahari King was held up, although it was more encouraging, and in one way being hampered hindered him. However, in another way, being held up in a strongly run race helped him (flattered by it).

Re: Why do trainers campaign horses over the wrong distance?

would disagree with some of this post , when does the owner enter the horse? its the trainer that picks the entry and does all the work, been there i am afraid. Yes the trainer may listen to the owners as they pay the wages, but the trainer has so much sway in where the horse goes. If somersby is good enough to win the Ryanair, run it, if they want 3rd place prize money in the QM, then i question their judgement
I recall her once saying she doesn't know where Somersby(i think) was going because the owners were on holiday, and that she would phone them when they get back. Hen was also quouted as saying in 2009, "The owners also have Calgary Bay running at Ascot. They'd like to see them, so they are both in the same place" She don't seem as forceful as some others might be.