BBOTD - 21st November

1:10 Aintree - Ramsden Boy - 1pt @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes - BOG) This looks an absolute mammoth price for a horse who was so progressive over hurdles last term. He won his only 2 runs over hurdles, in April and May of this year, the latter of which came off a 7lb lower mark when winning by an easy 8 lengths despite a couple of jumping mistakes. He spent the majority of the 09/10 NH season over fences, in which he made little impact having been let down by his jumping on numerous occasions but he's highly progressive over hurdles and should prove much happier now back in this code. He handles all ground and the only worry is how he'll be first time out after a 7 month break but I don't think it should be a problem as he has run decently after a break before. He has a wonderful engine and finishes out his races very well, with a likely decent gallop I think he should be staying on as well as anything and the testing ground could well be ideal for him, he won his maiden hurdle race by 18l on similar ground when beating Frankie Figg without breaking sweat, that horse is running in the race before this one. Ramsden Boy fell at the first when last seen over fences, he just never clicked over them and I think that has been factored into his price, wrongly, in my opinion. He's so much better over the smaller jumps and this 2m 4f trip is his optimum trip. He also has the benefit of Sam Twiston-Davies taking the ride and he's a wonderful man to have on board, he also takes off a valuable 3lb from his claim which leaves a riding weight of only 10st, that'll increase his chances very much so. He was fitted with a tongue tie for the first time when completing the first of his 2 wins over hurdles this year, that brought even more out of this well bred 9 year old and I still believe there could be even more to come from him if feeling no ill-effects from his fall when last out. The trainer has a good strike rate when bringing his horses to the UK from Ireland and the booking of young Twiston-Davies is very interesting to say the least, although he rides both of Wilson's horses at Aintree. The track should be perfect for Ramsden Boy and with ground causing no concern I'm expecting a big run from this fellow now that he's stepped up in grade. 10/1 looks an absolute gift and I'm playing small/medium win stakes as it's only 1/5 the odds for a place and I couldn't be bothered risking more money for little return. He has a good chance here and I think he'll run really well if coping with the lay off.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.