BBOTD Saturday 6th Nov

Lars

16:10 Doncaster One Way Or Another ran better than the bare form suggested at Newmarket last week, and he can go well from a better draw today and a slightly reduced mark. Ex-Australian performer that has only won once, at Haydock over a mile, but has been campaigned at 6f/7f this year. Ran in the better handicap on this card last year, and that day it was perhaps too soft for him, besides, he was running off a whole 10lbs higher. Except for that run, he usually runs well at Doncaster, being unlucky on one occasion when a fast-finishing third (off 5lbs higher than he runs off today). Was hit in the head by another jockey’s whip, and might have won otherwise. Been on the decline a bit since then in terms of finishing places, but has usually been “there or thereabouts” at the finish. Has ran well on this sort of ground before which is another positive. Travelled beautifully last time at Newmarket, but perhaps was too far away from the pace early in the race. I’d suggest from that run he deserves another chance and at a likely double-figure price, he’s worth a small EW bet. Jeremy Gask on his blog has said he’s expecting a good run, which is another positive. Does have a big weight to carry, but this is the weakest event he’s run on turf in a fair while. One Way or Another; EW @ SP

Re: BBOTD Saturday 6th Nov 2:00 Doncaster - Eton Rifles - e/w @ 11/1 (VC - BOG) Relatively lightly raced for a 5 year old, he has only had 15 career runs and comes here in the form of his life. Although he's running off a joint career high mark he has very solid claims based on his last 3 runs, specifically his 2nd place in a Listed race when attempting to make all and just failing by a length behind Harrison George. They raced off level weights that day and my selection was rated 24lbs worse than the winner who is a 111 rated animal and very good on his day. A repeat of that performance would see him win this quite handsomely, although it's not as easy as that. He was sent off as a 5/1 favourite in a hot handicap last time out at York on similar ground to what he'll face here, he traveled like a dream and was the last one off the bridle but when Justonefortheroad loomed up alongside him he didn't want to know anymore and ended up going down by half a length. They re-oppose each other here once again with my selection 1lb better off but I believe Eton Rifles has the beating of him more often than not and he's a larger price too which is always good. The draw shouldn't have too much effect over this 7f trip but he is drawn in stall 21 (widest stall) which would typically be a good place to be positioned as the highest stall has a decent record at the Doncaster course, the likely pace is all over the place so I can't see where it's going to come from for sure but Welsh Emperor likes to take his fields along at a good gallop and he's drawn not too far away from my selection in stall 15 and this should suit with Eton Rifles likely to get a good position in behind, if all goes as predicted. Eton Rifles is trained by Howard Johnson, who has seen his yard in decent knick of late with a lot of his horses running well without getting the wins he has deserved, hopefully that'll change here. Johnson doesn't have many runners at Doncaster on the flat and he only sends this fellow out to this track, he has only had 1 runner at the track all year on the flat and that was a winner. Paul Mulrennan gets the leg up today and he has won 2 races on board Eton Rifles, with many more fine efforts, mainly in 2009 and also in that fine Listed run on his penultimate start. Mulrennan doesn't have impressive stats at Doncaster but he's a fine jockey on his day and usually quite good on a prominent racer, he also seems to get on quite well with this horse and the horse has the ability to run anything from 6-8lbs higher than his current mark, which should certainly put him bang in contention here. The more rain, the better. This 5 year old really enjoys cut in the ground and there could well be rain overnight, which gives him a much better chance than the 12/1 price suggests. This is the first time he comes to Doncaster, it's a flat galloping track which should suit him very well, it's a tough race but Eton Rifles has a hell of a lot going for him, he comes here in career best form and hasn't had a tough season by any means. I'm expecting a big run here and he's the 15/2 second favourite in my book and I don't think 12's will be around for long, there's 4 places paid also which is a massive plus and I'd be slightly surprised if he doesn't at least get into the top 4. His win claims are mighty solid and if he can turn around the form with Justonefortheroad then he should be winning this as that one is potentially the one to beat with Hanagan on board. Decent each way stakes at a price much too big.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.