Somersby

Has anyone heard anything from Hen Knight about the plans for this horse this season? There was talk of a long term plan for the 2011 Gold Cup and he certainly looks like a greater stamina test will continue his improvement. Is he still targeting the GC and building his season around that? With Kauto and Denman another year older and Imperial Commander perhaps flattered by his win this year it could be a wide open race? Will be interested to know what the plans with Cooldine and What A Friend are as well but Somersby backable at 40/1 on Betfair.......

Re: Somersby Half the price for the Ryanair, mate. Money traded at single figures as well. Small money, but still.. Market usually guides in such situations. They may decide to give the old brigade one more year and go for it next season. I like the horse a lot, but as things stand, I'd wait for Hen to commit. She favors the GC over any race, but market is showing otherwise.

Re: Somersby

The Gold Cup looks wide open this year :clap
Here Here!!! I am getting sick to my gills hearing about which Paul Nicholls horse is going to win the Gold Cup and haveing odds-on shots in it every year!! Lets hope for a highly competitive Gold Cup but im nearly certain something will be highly imrpessive and we might get another even money shot this year.. :(

Re: Somersby Nicholls said on saturday his plans are as follows: Denman will most probably go for his 3rd Hennessy depsite being 8lb higher than last year Kauto star will go for the Down Royal race in a few weeks time followed by yest another King George on boxing day I think WAF will go for the Betfair chase at Haydock Somersby will be aimed at Cheltenham i feel, so look out for it in one of the decent chases, perhaps PP Gold cup at the open meeting? IMperial Commander loves Cheltenham and it is hard to see where they will run it apart from the Betfair chase. I dont see the point of him running at the KIng George to be honest

Re: Somersby Think I read or heard somewhere, Hen Knight was hoping to aim Somersby at the Gold Cup. However, if the way he runs this season suggests the Ryanair would be a better target; things may change. Something which may well happen. It's fairly obvious Somersby would have a far better chance of winning the Ryanair than Gold Cup; with brilliant hhorses such as Imperial Commander, Kauto Star and Denman around for the latter. So I don't see the prices as a guide to where he'll run. I don't see the Gold Cup as being particularly open. Kauto and Denman will both be eleven year olds. Most of that age are on the downgrade. Imperial Commander will be ten. Most of that age maintain their form, particularly if they've shown improved form at nine. 11/2 currently available looks outstanding value. Must surely have a better than 15% chance? Just hope Twister does not over-race or places him too aggressively.

Re: Somersby

Has anyone heard anything from Hen Knight about the plans for this horse this season? There was talk of a long term plan for the 2011 Gold Cup and he certainly looks like a greater stamina test will continue his improvement. Is he still targeting the GC and building his season around that? With Kauto and Denman another year older and Imperial Commander perhaps flattered by his win this year it could be a wide open race? Will be interested to know what the plans with Cooldine and What A Friend are as well but Somersby backable at 40/1 on Betfair.......
Imperial commander -Flattered ! Fin he's unbeaten over the cheltenham course, he also won the Ryanair in 2009, hes a class act over the course, and the N-T-D stable are the yard to follow this season.

Re: Somersby I think Fin meant Imperial Commander was flattered, because Kauto had an off day. Sweating beforehand and all. Not sure about Somersby in a GC, but I am definitelly interested in him for the Paddy Power off 156 if horses like Poquelin and Tranquil Sea are top weight off 164. I'd be all over the 14/1 if we were able to know what PN and Hen plans are :)