Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions!

morlspin

Re: Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions! first one. We're all at 5k chips, blinds 10/20. I've been dealt QQ.

ANTES/BLINDS rooney1986jc posts small blind (10), damienrice4_ posts big blind (20), PRE-FLOP c0n3mkd folds, x_GoldenDoc folds, Jens2211 raises to 60, carlos_zet88 folds, Vasill777 calls 60, Plastico. folds, sanitarac folds, coquine39 raises to 100, rooney1986jc folds, damienrice4_ folds, Jens2211 calls 100, Vasill777 calls 100. FLOP [board cards: 4S,JH,7D ] Jens2211 checks, Vasill777 bets 330, coquine39 calls 330, Jens2211 folds. TURN [board cards: 4S,JH,7D,6D ] Vasill777 bets 990, coquine39 folds. SHOWDOWN Vasill777 wins 990.
How I thought: QQ is a good hand, but I was one of the first to have to bet and stuck with 3BB (too low?). I was then re-raised so I called and let be. The flop was boring, I checked and got heavily raised, so I decided to fold, though the only hands he probably had that would've had an advantage to me are KK and AA, where he probably would've raised more. Could well have hit the jack maybe. But seeing as someone else called his large bet, I decided not to risk it. so how did I do? :unsure

Re: Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions! Hmmm... I am pretty aggressive with QQ. I wouldn't want to let the others see a cheap flop because a K or A on the flop would make it a tricky situation. Try and avoid tricky situation and keep things simple when you can. Preflop raise to 60 is cloaking the strength of your hand by doing a standard raise. Just calling a min raise with 2 other players in it... I'd like to isolate it by re-reraising preflop to something like 300 so you have a better feel for what the others have. Post flop you folded an overpair. It's still very early but I thinks that's to passive. There is a threat of AA, KK or a set, but wouldn't they do that move to with top pair? My impression is that you are playing things to save.

Re: Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions! Tried to be more aggressive now, and it payed off :) I was pretty happy with the way I handled this one if I'm honest.. Any comments? Dangerous or routine move? Did it work out this well due to the low skill-level on the table? $1 buy-in after all. I was dealt AQo

Seat 1: Alzar_x (1,585 in chips) Seat 2: pAAul1982 (2,500 in chips) Seat 3: Denyy1 (3,860 in chips) Seat 5: Jens2211 (2,425 in chips) Seat 6: KKV99 (2,595 in chips) Seat 7: Kovinis (9,010 in chips) Seat 8: emilmistr (2,100 in chips) Seat 9: charlieB_y (1,810 in chips) Seat 10: yoyo don (2,380 in chips) ANTES/BLINDS Denyy1 posts small blind (25), Jens2211 posts big blind (50), PRE-FLOP KKV99 calls 50, Kovinis calls 50, emilmistr folds, charlieB_y folds, yoyo don folds, Alzar_x folds, pAAul1982 folds, Denyy1 calls 50, Jens2211 raises to 250, KKV99 calls 250, Kovinis calls 250, Denyy1 folds. FLOP [board cards: 3C,5D,4H ] Jens2211 checks, KKV99 checks, Kovinis checks. TURN [board cards: 3C,5D,4H,7D ] Jens2211 checks, KKV99 checks, Kovinis bets 175, Jens2211 raises to 350, KKV99 folds, Kovinis folds. SHOWDOWN Jens2211 wins 1,150.

Re: Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions! Good move :ok No mater what the level, you can not be aggressive in every hand, just as you shouldn't be 100% save. Having a good read on the other players, putting them on the right range of hands and daring to be aggressive at the right moment can be the difference of being a bigstack or being a lowstack later in the MTT.

• 1 month later...

Re: Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions! Ooo, forgot about this thread! Hadn't played in a while as I haven't had a working PC (got it today though!), but joined the university's poker club's opening event. Was only a £1 buy-in (so as to not scare off newcomers), but I finished 7th of 72 nonetheless (winning £7), so I was pretty happy with that :) Anyways The out-hand was like this: We are (obviously) seven at the final table. I'm small blind with a little under 10BB's (25k, BB @ 3k), and am dealt K6s. Everyone folded all the way around to the dealer (who limps in on almost everything..) who called. BB was short-stacked. I went all in, BB folded but dealer called with an 88 - the rest is history. I was pretty confident in the all-in, and didn't have any regrets afterwords. ..but I thought I'd ask anyway - was it the right call? :)

Re: Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions! Hmmm. You've just paid the BB, and in this hand you're in the SB. The way I look at this situation.

• You have 6 'free' hands before another BB (I think).
  • The next hand you will be on the button.

By this reasoning, I'd suggest that it was probably a hasty push. When I'm making my last stand in a tournament I start to play 'blackjack' and look for the hole cards to get as close to 21 as possible (AK to A10 as well as any connectors 89 and higher). I was playing in the last 4 of the 1st PLWSOP at Dusk Til Dawn and had K4 os on the button or even the SB. No one acted before me (I think) and I pushed to steal, got called and walked into a better hand so there you go. I just feel that you paid the BB and SB so you may as well have one more 'free' circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Jenspm's Guide to Poker - See if we can win him millions! I had a strange beat at a live tournament today, I'll walk you through how I thought from card to card. I'm 5th of 20 remaining btw, playing against the guy in fourth position. I get dealt KAo, he calls BB, I raise to 3BB, everyone folds he calls. Here I think he has something worth betting, but nothing spectacular given his previous call. Flop is 2 2 4. He checks, I bet 2BB, he quickly calls. I now assume he has two cards above these, probably an ace, and is hunting a top pair/high card. A-2 came to mind, but I thought the chances were slim - would he have called my raise with that? next card on the table is an Ace. He bets 5BB. I'm now pretty sure he has an ace, probably with a decent kicker, and he knows I have neither a 2 or a 4 given my raise. I call. next is a 3. He goes all in. At this point I think he thinks he's got me. Seeing as I raised he could've assumed I didn't have a 2, 3 or 4, the chances of me having AA are very slim (and my raise is too low for that). I didn't know what to expect of him, and actually placed him on an A with a J or higher. That or nothing and an attempt to steal. I decide to call and go all in, and what does he show? 72o for trips. What the hell? Anything I should've done differently? I was stunned that he had called my raise with those cards. In hindsight I probably should've raised more pre-flop, but I wanted to get something out of these cards.. Thoughts, please? :cheers