Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August Capercaillie 5.05 Ascot 25-1 Stan James (BOG) Each Way Started its career with 2 wins from 2 races and looked to be going places but flopped twice in Group 2 company, beaten by 7 lengths and 6 lengths ad then also flopped at listed level, beaten by 12 1/2 lengths. 2 wins were both over 5f and has plenty of speed. Had a break and then had one run this year at Doncaster when it still showed the ability to quicken from 2f out but faded to 4th of 5 when headed at the 1f pole. Johnstone was adamant that this was a group horse and it was clearly held in high regard to be thrown straight in at Group 2 level after its initial 2 wins. I still believe he will get it right with this horse, maybe a change of tactics and if he does the 25-1 will look massive. He is still in fair form with 16 winners in the last 14 days. If that last race was about needing the run for fitness then today could be the day it finally wins again and shows some of the class and promise the trainer believes the horse has. No ground concerns, won on good to firm 1st time out.

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August Christopher Wren 2.45 Ascot Steps up to class 3 level now but has shown it has ability with 2 wins from last 4 races, one of them a really smart ride from Kieren Fox. The horse likes to be held up and it has Richard Hughes on today so that has to be a big plus the way he has been riding recently. 6lb higher than last win but in that last race it somehow managed to win despite the bit completely slipping through its mouth, similar to Workforce in the Dante. Has won over 10f, won over 12f last time out and goes over 12f again today. Both recent wins were on good to firm, also won on good to soft before that. May still have a bit more improvement to come and likely 2nd or 3rd fav for this race. Currently around 11-2.

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August Winning Team - Rest Of World @ 9/2 Bet365 Outsiders of there four teams but think they have a decent chance this year, some of their horse I fancy I have tipped but hoping the other runners can score some points to. 14:10 - Judge N Jury @ 16/1 Bet365 I think Judge N Jury can get the ROW off to a good start, he has not been at his best for the last couple of races, I expect him to put in a better performence than lto, he has two big handicap wins here and having previously won off this mark he is entitled to go close at a big price. 14:45 - Life And Soul @ 9/2 Paddy Power Another one for the ROW here, Amanda Perrett's stable are in good nick over the last few days and they have just one runner at the meeting, the horse had a couple of decent efforts recently behind Verdan and Dandino and could get reward in a weaker race. 15:20 - Set The Trend @ 9/2 Bet365 Set The Trend sets the standard for me here and I think he'll go very close under a very capable Australian jockey, the horse has been unlucky not to win more races getting caught close home two runs ago, followed that up with a below par run lto but given another chance today. 15:55 - Heron Bay 20/1 Bet365 Another one of Luke Nolan's here, 20/1 looks massive to me. The horse went well here last year when finishing 3rd, has won over the trip over hurdles and don't think the mark is beyond him, will have conditions to suit to in an open looking race. Not playing in the last two but hopefully ROW are still in the mix!

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August I remember marking in my book last year to avoid this meeting, I've scratched "joke" across the page and "avoid" but I can't remember many specifics (the Dubai carnival gets the same treatment). I usually always state that the jockey is the least important factor when considering a horse's ability but this meeting has a habit of knocking that theory on the head.

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August 2:10 Ascot: Golden Destiny 1pt e/w 16/1 Bet365 & We Have A Dream 1pt e/w 25/1 Sportingbet Golden Destiny appears to have gone off the boil a little this season after a good run at Bath in a Listed race in April. However, she has been keeping good company, a Listed race at Nottingham and a Group 3 at York before being drawn in the middle of the track at Ascot last time out. Closer to the rail today with Richard Hughes aboard and first time blinkers may see her go close. We Have A Dream runs over five furlongs for the first time today. Perhaps a little odd for a five year old, but last time apart in the Stewards Cup he has been leading for a long way over six and this looks well worth a go. Although drawn widest of all, at the price he looks worth a shot.

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August 3:20 Ascot: Dubai Dynamo 1pt e/w 20/1 Stan James Dubai Dynamo has received a little help from the handicapper and is now a couple of pounds higher than his last winning mark when touching off St Moritz at Newmarket. May be a little better at 7F however, only just went down to Tiger Reigns at Ripon over a mile earlier this season. Both of those runs look pretty decent form.

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August 2.10 Ascot Captain Carey ran a disappointing effort at Southwell during the week, he didnt look to be travelling that well on a night when it was hard to make up ground more so than normal. He really caught the eye again at Curragh revious to that when badly hampered when running on and should find this return to turf much better and could still be capable of more! 0.5pt e/w captain carey 7/1 lads 3.55 Ascot I have said it time and time again Lady Eclair has shaped as if she is the sort who could pick up some black type before the season is out and it is interesting they still keep her in handicaps which suggest they still feel she is well handicapped. She stayed on really strongly when given a slightly more patient ride than normal at Goodwood in a much stronger race when 4th, actually dropped a 1lb for that effort and is clearly still handicapped to do some good and still progressing. 1.5pt win lady eclair 10/3 sj

Re: Ascot (Shergar Cup) - Saturday 7th August I seem to be picking a lot of the the same horses as others today:\ can't be helped. 3.55 Agree with Spooner HERON BAY 20 E/W SJ looks overpriced. Has won over 2 miles over hurdles and returns to the flat to have a try for the 1st time at it. Has the cheek pieces on and i can see it run a big race in this small field of ten.