Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 14:10 - Mission Control (EW) @ 25/1 Totesport A 20 runner handicap to get our teeth stuck into on the opening race on Day 2, run over two miles and five 5 furlongs. I respect David Pipe's Junior but I'm looking for one at a bigger price in such a wide open race which has led me to: Mission Control - I really like Tim Vaughan's horses and he has had a fantastic time of it of late, he has been sending out winner after winner over the jumps with a few flat winners sent in for good measure. Mission Control has never won over the distance or gone over such a distance on the flat but has shown useful form since switching to hurdles competing well in good races. He is back for a crack on the flat again and whilst this could well be asking to much for the horse he appears to be a lively outsider, he done alot of racing on the AW as a 2/3 year-old with a few good runs, nothing in this class. He has been showing useful form over hurdles though and it maybe that the horse is improving with age. If this wasn't from Vaughan's yard I probably wouldn't take the horse but I believe the yard to be quite a shrew one and they've been nibbling at this already.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 14:40 - Waltz Darling (EW) @ 11/1 Bet365 (bog) Mark Johnston has a good record in the race winning it three times and Stentorian went on my shortlist, King Tours & Crown Prosecutor will battle it for favourtism but I'll be siding with one of the double figure priced runners: Waltz Darling - Just two career runs to date and like Crown Prosecutor he has two wins, Crown Prosecutor has come up against better opposition but you can only beat what races you are put into and connections are confident enough to step him up into Group 2 class, whilst this maybe to big a jump he comes here as a bit of an unknown, we've seen what some of these can do at this level already. The step up in trip a furlong is likely to suite on breeding and I think he'll give the market leaders something to think about.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 15:25 - Rip Van Winkle @ 5/2 Bet365 The Sussex Stakes is the feature on Day 2 and it looks set to be a cracker, we have a short price favourite in Canford Cliffs who's put in some cracking performences and I think there is one horse to take him on with which is: Rip Van Winkle - Aidan O'Brien does not put in three runners in once race if he does not intend to take home the main prize, he has done just that in four of the last 10 runnings of the Sussex Stakes and I think Rip Van Winkle can repeat last year's performence and win this. He will need to come on for his first race this season which was a disappointing run behind Goldikova at Ascot, put that to side though and he chased home Sea The Stars a few times last season with credit, he won this race really nicely last season and I think it will take something special to beat him, especially with the O'Brien pacemaker in the race.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 2.10 Goodwood This will be Lady Eclairs first real test, she has made herself well known as a potentially useful sort that looks listed/group performer in the making, interesting that connections stick with her in handicaps she is up another 4lb for her latest win in her hatrick, the step up in trip is a slight concern as she is un tried but nonethless she looks an out and out stayer with real guts and could just be class above these even carrying topweight. Markington will be my other bet in the race for all he is a fairly tentative vote because his 1 run here last year was abmissmal when in good form which is a slight concern, but has gone from strenght to strength with age just recently and seeks the hatrick here after 2 fairly easy wins this year so far and 4lb rise looks fair enough, faster the ground the better really. 0.5pt e/w lady eclair 10/1 sj 0.25pt e/w markington 11/1 sj 3.25 Goodwood For all I would love to see Canford Cliffs trounce this field he takes on his elders for the first time today and this is no weak field. Rip Van Winkle should have come on for the run at Ascot and now O'briens horses are hitting form he can be trusted a bit more to produce what he is really capable of, the other interesting contender could be Premio Loco who has really improved this year and should the race fall apart a little bit it should be run at a strong pace with the pacemakers in the field for him to provide a smart finishing kick similar to Canford Cliffs who in my opinion is far too short at 4/6! 1pt win rip van winkle 5/2 vcbet 0.5pt win premio loco 8/1 lads 5.10 Goodwood Flapper is know no hoper, she gave a promising display on seasonal reappearance at kempton, failed to build on that next time out but if bouncing back this time she could get her own way upfront although Agony and Ecstasy does tend to make all but isnt out and out front runner like Flapper, also interesting Amy Scott takes the ride as she rode her to 2 victories last year and also takes off a useful 7lb! 0.5pt e/w flapper

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July Only one horse interests me here tomorrow and its in the first BADDAM and i think its a cracking e/w bet. Most of the 33's has gone already but Boyle sports still have it and what a price that is imo. Won this in 08 after previous run was beaten 31l in The Queen Alexandra stakes at Ascot. Its last run was again in that same race when stuffed again this time 25l that doesn't worry me gets in here off 9lb lower than 08 win. Was easy winner on chasing debut in may when an easy 23l winner and chasing may be the main in the future but i feel 33/1 is a insult to the horse and it is a smashing e/w bet today imho.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July With you Spooner in the first. Went through the card today but didn't have time to post anything, but do tonight and doing the same. 2.10 Mission Control EW 18/1 Various Good performer over hurdles and put in some decent efforts on the flat. Bound to stay here. On AW form looks to be on a competitive mark and although some of these arrive in better form some may be a bit more in the grip of the handicapper and could be caught out by a horse like Mission Control. Ground should be spot on and seems to run on quick or slightly softer than good. Should strip fitter from last run and Vaughn has a decent enough record when he sends horses onto the turf (20% strike rate) and his horses are running well. Looks to have a good chance. 2.45 King Torus WIN 9/4 Various Really like this one and looks highly progressive. Impressed LTO in the Group 2 Surpurlative Stakes. Hannon and Hughes 2 year old, need you say more? A few other decent sorts and the unbeaten Crown Prosecutor could improve but I don't think he is in King Turus' league 3.25 Canford Cliffs - RVW Forecast It is hard to oppose Canford Cliffs here. 3 year olds have an excellent record in the race and no horse has ever won it twice if I am correct? Canford Cliffs has arguably been the most consistant 3 year year old and has a touch of class winning the Irish Guineas and the St James Stakes. RVW was excellent last year winning this race but was not himself really LTO. However I think he will strip a lot fitter and run a good race tomorrow. I can't see past the first 2 in that order and although Premio Loco can make the step up I don't think he will get near these two. 4.00 This is a tricky race and I can't select anything with confidence to be honest. Verdant is a horse I have backed a lot and has the class here but I am not sure about the trip and he could be collarded by something. May decide tomorrow. 4.35 Best watched 5.10 Agony and Ectasy WIN 5/1 Sportingbet at moment but wait until tomorrow A lot to like about her last win and is the type to step up and improve in this company. The second in that race (which Agaony and Ecstacy beat by 3 lengths) has gone on and finished over 6 lengths behind Dandino which isn't a bad run based on what we have seen. The extra furlong should not be a problem as she was travelling comfortably and was pulling away. 5.45 Nothing I can bet on with confidence at the current prices

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 2.10 Noticed Ryan Moore is riding for his dad on Gee dee Nen and has cheek pieces fitted for the 1st time. The horse has always fared better over further distances so the 2m 5f will suit it fine. 3 times further than 21f and form reads 3-1-2. Likes to be prominent which will sui this track and has had 2 recent god runs over fences beating Classic Swain (winner since). Interesting to see the horse line up in a flat contest and has the right man up top. The betfair price looks too big as i expect it to be around 16/1 GEE DE NEN 4.5pts staked @ 28.0 Betfair

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July Great days racing today being Goodwood and Galway, am sure like many i want to see the sussex stakes and the Galway Plate races the most but its a cracking day of racing. Am having a little back up money on BEETHOVAN in the sussex i think hes a crazy bet of 33/1, he could turn up a nice fresh horse in this race and run a really good race, hes beat some good animals in his time and could be a new FRESH forgot about horse. Some people have spoke about RVW but dont rule out his other, or can you even write off his pace maker ? A P O'Brien is a VERY shrewd customer in this game, just when you write him off you get punished, i want to see the BEST horse just like most to win this race, ''But'' i have some fall back money on BEETHOVEN 33/1 could look silly for a nice place. Ladbrokes and some others are 1/4 the odds 1,2,3 IMO its good back up.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 16:00 - Bowlder's Magic (EW) @ 8/1 Bet365 (bog) Race four on the card is a 16 runner handicap let's hope we get no horses pulling out so this pays four places, Mark Johnston runs three in this again and I believe the market has it right regards to his horses chances: Bowlder's Magic - Been kept busy of late, scored easily at Sandown lto by 7 lengths and although he only faced four other rivals it was an impressive run from the front. Last time he was seen in a big handicap was at Ascot, when finishing 18 of 18, he didn't get the best of runs that day and I beleive good of finished alot closer should things have gone his way. Johnston did not have much luck here yesterday but may get reward in this race, hopefully with Bowlder's Magic.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 2:10 Goodwood: On Terms & Backboard 1pt win on each Betfair SP May be worth taking a flyer on a couple of real outsiders. On Terms came unstuck at Ascot last time out but previously had run up a string of wins. Has course form and could yet have a little more to come. Jumps trainers often have a go at these races and Backboard's best form over hurdles is on better ground and with William Buick booked and cheek pieces back on a better show can be anticipated. 5:10 Goodwood: Flapper 2pts win 1pt place 20/1 Paddy Power (1/4 odds) Flapper disappointed last time but reunited with Amy Scott may pop up at a decent price, ran well last season to notch a couple of wins and not too much higher in the handicap now.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July Another interesting day but similar to yesterday not much confidence behind many runners. 2.10 - Shortlist of Theloa, Ghimaar, Mission Control and On Terms I have opted for Ghimaar 8/1 Bet 365. Was hampered LTO but did stay on. Hoping for an easier ride today and a little bit of luck 2.45 - Shortlist (if there can be in a 7 runner race) of King Torus, Chilworth Lad, Crown Prosecutor and Waltz Darling. Crown Prosecutor 2/1 Bet365 is my pick as I think this horse could be pretty special. Likely to be a fast pace set by King Torus which will hopefully help CP and his quick finish 3.25 - Only really between two horses (maybe 3). Canford Cliffs, RVP and Premio Loco. I think the race will be run similar to last year with a pacemaker for RVP, whats is different from last year is that CC has a massive amount of acceleration which could work against RVP. Premio Loco only won G2 and G3 so ew shout at best. Simply based on the prices I'm inclined to go with RVP 5/2 888sport. despite a non to confident Ballydoyle 4.00 - Shorltist here of Verdant, Sea of Heartbreak and Jutland. I really like the look of Sea of Heartbreak, stepping up in class but has looked pretty smart in knocking up 4 wins in a row. Son of Rock of Gibraltar who also won at this meeting in 2002 looks like a decent ew shot at 9/1 Boylesport 4.35 - Not much to go on so best left alone - Maybe Mortitia 5.10 - Pretty interesting race with a big shortlist of Dance East, Agony & Ecstasy, Seasonal Cross, Seradim, shes in the money and water gipsy. I think A&E will take the beating in this. She should take up the running early and then be in a postion to go at the 2f pole. Hopefully by then she will have left most if not all for dead. Currently 4/1 Sportingbet Good luck:hope

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July Glorious Goodwood returns on day two and the Goodwood Stakes - run over 2m 5f - looks to contain several interesting hurdlers reverting back to the flat. Junior and Overstrand (I think that was his name) have shown how lenient such types can be treated. Ghimaar was backed off the boards in the Ascot stakes and is much better than the bare margin of defeat showed. He will have his followers, whilst Markington won smartly at Pontefract and has been in very good heart since coming back onto the level. Tony Martin sends out just one runner during the whole festival and Dream Champion looks chucked in on a mark of 79. He won off the same mark when with Mick Channon (the last time he ran on the flat) four years ago and advertised his well being with a recent chase win at Down Royal. He could have been laid out for the race. Lady Eclair was overpriced at 10/1 last night but the value hunters have snapped that up and she is practically half of those odds now. The Sussex Stakes (3.25) is undoubtedly the race of the day and Canford Cliffs is the warm favourite. Rip Van Winkle is taking him on and with Murtagh suspended Ryan Moore takes the reins. With a lack of pace in the race, apart from the O'Brien pacemakers, I am a little concerned for Canford Cliffs though. Given the way things may possibly unfold I think Beethoven is overpriced at 33/1. He won the Group 1 Dewhurst last season and gets 8 lb from the four year olds here. The Racing UK handicap at 4.00 looks a belter - Benny Anderson's Berling deserves to win again but was turned over at odds in by Anhar last time out and must bounce back. There are some rapidly progressing runners in the ranks, Jutland is chasing a hat-trick for Mark Johnston and stablemate Bowdler's Stone is turned out under a penalty and has proven stamina. Sea of Heartbreak has been a revelation this season and Mount Athos - a son of Montjeu - has been laughing at the handicapper of modest marks in low level events to date. 12/1 today he must handle a rise in grade but connections will be hoping he can defy a 15 lb rise. Verdant shurgged off Australia Day to score at Sandown recently and is another worth stepping up in trip. A fascinating contest.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 10/1 seemed massive. Did look at her myself last night as she has done nothing but progress but some of those hurdlers carrying featherweights could be well treated IMO so my money went elsewhere...

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 14:10 Goodwood Two each way bets for me in this race at big prices. Firstly the five year old and bottom weight Ambrose Princess should not be without a chance in this race. Has been fairly consistent on the flat over the years with only 3 unplaced efforts from her last 15 runs. Only four of those have resulted in wins though with the latest coming LTO at Lingfield where she won a class 5 handicap in good fashion. Raised 10lbs for that but is definately worth a chance off this mark of 70, she is rated 120 over hurdles. Has won over distances ranging from 16-24 furlongs so the trip shouldn't pose a problem and ground conditions should also be fine for her. Strong place claims in my opinion at the very least. Baddam is my other choice here, he won the race in 2008 off a mark 9lbs higher so has to be in with a chance today on that basis alone. Has won on three other occasions on turf off higher marks than he runs off today, all over similar distances and in similar ground conditions. Has had a win over jumps this year and won twice over hurdles last year so he is still definately up to winning races. Is rated 130 over hurdles. Hanagan takes the ride and we all know just how good a season he is having. 0.5pts E/W Ambrose Princess @ 22/1 (Bet365 - BOG) 0.5pts E/W Baddam @ 28/1 (Bet365 - BOG)

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 2.45 Goodwood King Torus will want to dictate the pace in this contest and that will suit Crown Prosecutor who i think has a very strong chance to win a 3rd race in a row. Already won at Goodwood which is a positive but at the prices i am willing to go with another at double figures. Waltz Darling has won 2 lower grade races fairly comfortably at 6 furlongs and has ran on well at the finish in both of them. This is a big step up in class but having won 2 out of 2 so far, producing finishes that suggest the step up in distance will suit and being at pretty good odds im willing to take a chance that at least a place finish will be achieved here. 0.25pt E/W Waltz Darling at 14/1 with Stan James

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 3.25 Beethoven Beethoven is available at 40/1 with Stan James (best odds guaranteed) while Rip Van Winkle is 5/2 second favourite. Both had their first runs this year on the same day at Royal Ascot and on the form they showed there Beethoven looks the better of the pair. He went well until fading in the final furlong to finish 4 lengths behind Canford Cliffs and with improvement for run he may be able to gain a second Group 1 to add to his victory in last year's Dewhurst, which is usually the best 2yo race of the year. With one non-runner the bookmakers are only paying two places (still 3 places at Betfair but much lower odds).

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 210: I don't want to be seen to be a copycat, but there are a few that I like that have already got a mention above. Lady Eclair, I have been following all season, she's owned by my main customer at work though I don't know the guy personally so have nothing to go on except her rapidly improving form and positive vibes from the "Always Trying" stable. Having looked at previous winners, there are two main types to go for, either improving flat stayers such as Lady Eclair, or well rated hurdlers who have lenient flat marks. JUNIOR, GEE DEE NEN and MISSION CONTROL have hurdle marks around 50pts higher than their flat mark. I might see what odds GeeDee and Mission are to place at the tote, and Dutch Junior and Lady to win. 545 COASTING Going to go for course experience here with Amanda Perrett's runner, been a bit unlucky lately but could go close today back to 7f.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July

Robin van Persie? :lol Fin - Lady Eclaire is a Pricewise selection hence the massive gamble
Is van persie not running. In that case I'll go with rip van winkle. Don't know where rvp came from :)

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July 4.00 Grey Bunting Grey Bunting has been running well over 10 furlongs and looking as if a step up in trip would help him. He faced a tough task last time behind Emerging Artist and Con Artist but stayed on well and with an extra 2 furlongs to run today he can be involved in the finish. Many bookies are offering 20/1 and I think that is a huge price and worth a good each-way bet.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July No big write up on last three as I don't have alot of time. 16:35 - Sharnberry 7/2 Ladbrokes - Obviously well regarded by connections as money around for it, they do ok with their runners here and Fallon booked to ride. 17:10 - Agony And Ecstasy 4/1 Sportingbet - comes here in good form after winning smartly lto, stable in good form at present and a big surprise should she not go close 17:45 - Silaah 33/1 Stan James - Simply taking this one on a value basis, been running well in handicaps, wil enjoy the step back upto 7f and wouldn't rate the horse a 33/1 chance.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July Decent day in slight profit with King Torus and hitting the forecast in the Sussex Very disappointed with Agony and Ecstacy though and prehaps it was a furlong too far

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July

210: I don't want to be seen to be a copycat, but there are a few that I like that have already got a mention above. Lady Eclair, I have been following all season, she's owned by my main customer at work though I don't know the guy personally so have nothing to go on except her rapidly improving form and positive vibes from the "Always Trying" stable. Having looked at previous winners, there are two main types to go for, either improving flat stayers such as Lady Eclair, or well rated hurdlers who have lenient flat marks. JUNIOR, GEE DEE NEN and MISSION CONTROL have hurdle marks around 50pts higher than their flat mark. I might see what odds GeeDee and Mission are to place at the tote, and Dutch Junior and Lady to win. 545 COASTING Going to go for course experience here with Amanda Perrett's runner, been a bit unlucky lately but could go close today back to 7f.
I ended up going 2pts each on Junior and Lady Eclair using the toteplace bet, and 1 pt each on Gee Dee and Mission Control. That repaid 9.6points, so a 3.6pt profit on the race. Not exactly spectacular, but it's a new bet to me and I'm starting to see the benefit of it. I didn't fancy Ghimar at all so good to benefit whilst displaying poor judgement. I went to my local shop to watch a few of the races with some mixed results. One race I hit it right. I went for verdant, 2pts win and had a 1pt on Mataleeb to place. I didn't spot this one earlier when I rushed through a quick scan of the races, but I noticed that this one I had winner with in May when it was with Michael Jarvis. He's been bought for 40k by Jeff Pearce who does well with other cast offs (Tamagin and Ghufa to name two) and it would surely have been a quarter of the odds if still with Jarvis. It paid 10.9points on the tote. If I'd bet it .5pts e/w I'd have been lucky to return 5.5pts so the benefit of the bet is there to see. I did also bet Jutland 1pt to place too so a small negative on that race.

Re: Glorious Goodwood (Day 2) - Wednesday 28th July Hughsey is a joy to watch right now, three quality rides on Zebedee, Matyr and Canford Cliffs in the last two days, Martyr had to be the best of them as he was riding in a red hot race whereas was sat on the best horse in the race on the other two and had to get his timing spot in. When you have backed one of those that he rides so confidently/cockily I think it gives you an extra buzz.