Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010

duckworth lewis is a complete farce' date=' clearly doesnt take into account that basically half of WI overs are goin to be powerplay.[/quote'] One of the reasons I wont bet on cricket now unless a full game is assured, DL is nothing short of a joke, it hasnt been adjusted properly for any form of the game as yet.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 Does seem harsh Hairy Redback. A lot of people on the betfair forum moaning about D/L costing them money, after they backed England at 1.3ish at the end of England innings, then odds shot out once the rain came. Also about 750k backed on the "will there be a result" market on betfair"

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 After Hairy's post, i feel very proud to successfully keep myself away from spread betting. And i have been betting on sports for last 10 years. Am sure it gives thrill like no other gambling, but its too too risky and you cannot control or minimise ur loss. I would really advice people to stay away from it. Also the margins of sites like sportingindex is too high. Obvs this is my personal opinion, as capacity to digest losses is different for different people.

I sold Windies on the spread at 6 and the bet stands on the official result at 80 (10 points a wicket). I can handle losing a bet but once the D/L was set, how could I win anything, even if England would have magaed a win it would have been by one or two runs, and yet can still potentially lose the maximum. Tut tut to their rules :@
I bought England @ 23 between innings - a disaster!

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 I'm just thinking is it worth having a little bet on either Bangladesh and or Afghanistan tomorrow With D/L more than likely going to play a factor if one of these teams win the toss and bowl 1st and restrict SA or Aus to a small total we could well see a upset. Look at the England vs WI Afghanistan are 10/1 and Bangladesh 5/1

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 I had worked it out that Bangladesh needed to win by 10 runs to qualify had they batted 1st but there's no way I can be arsed to work out how quickly they need to chase these runs down now that they are batting 2nd :lol.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 Not to be for Bangladesh :sad. One for me in the 2nd match. 4pts J.Kallis' Performance Pts - 40&Over 4/5 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Jacques Kallis is a big big player for this South African side. He opened in the 1st match and if he does that again here you would expect him to nurdle and nudge his way to 40, particularly if South Africa bat 1st. Even if they don't bat 1st Afghanistan will put up some kind of score so if Kallis has got 1st dibs at it he should still make 40. Having said that I fully expect the big man to score in the field. He's a solid bowler who will probably enjoy the bounce that this Bridgetown wicket provides. He's as safe a pair of hands as there is too so even though this match may well be a bit one sided, there is still more than enough scoring options for Kallis to pick up the required 40pts here.

Cant believe he got out when he was well set. :wall Hopefully get can pick up a wicket or catch now :hope
Such an annoying dismissal too mate. May well have been a wide had he left it. As I said in the write up though, he's got a strong chance of scoring in the field :hope.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 For a bit of fun, i've just taken 1pt on Afghanistan at 34 on Betfair to win. More for interest than anything else but I do think it's a bit generous. Clearly they aren't the best team in the world but having bowled well and restricted a very good batting lineup to only 139 is it a 33/1 shot they can score 140??? Hopefully the bombs they have probably faced back home will stand them in good shape for what Steyn will be launching at them! Adds a bit of fun at worst!

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 Having earlier said SA will show the gulf in class with the ball in hand... I then back Afghanistan to win in what might probably be the stupidest bet I've ever made .... Still Kallis reached his points total with the catch at slip, which was lucky because it doesn't look like he'll get a bowl at this rate!!!

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 Yep. Fair play to Afghanistan. They were brilliant in the field. In 2 years time when this is held again, I assume it will be in the sub continent somewhere and if they qualify they might take someone with them. They've just never seen pace and bounce like this before.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 Just been skimming through past posts, good stuff. But does highlight the lottery nature of 20/20. Any big hitters (of the punting persuasion) would probably need an ace rain radar link. Jayawardene bet (originally 22-1) looks good, Kev, for top tournie bat. Bridgetown, Wednesday. Forecast looks like giving us completed games. Lively pitch with pace might just shade England v Pakistan (Anderson in?) but I'll leave it alone. New Zealand v South Africa Yarpies fairly solid favourites not least because of having played here yesterday and having a grooved feel of conditions. But their 137 was not that flash. I like the look of this Kiwi outfit and think they will be very hard to beat (except in final!). They'll press SA all the way in this. 10 pts New Zealand v South Africa @ 13/10 Brendon McCullum is always worth looking at in player performance. Have fortunately swerved him - indeed all bets- so far. In the opener v Lanka, B McC posted exactly 0 in player performance, which takes some doing for a wicket keeping opener when your side wins! But I'll get with him here on a reasonable spread quote for a bloke of his ability. 1pt BUY Brendon McCullum payer perf @ 36

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 3 for me in this opening super 8's match. 3pts England to beat Pakistan 5/6 Ladbrokes Both sides will see Group E as a fantastic opportunity for making the semi finals of this competition. If we look at the other group then it's easy to see this is very much the group to be in. South Africa are favourites for the group and New Zealand will need watching but the winners of this match will give themselves a big advantage in the race for a semi final spot. Pakistan beat Bangladesh before losing fairly heavily against Australia while England haven't yet won a game having lost on D/L to West Indies in a match they surely would've won had the match been a full match, and had a no result against Ireland. I would expect England to bring James Anderson into their side with this being a 9.30 local time kick off in Barbados, which we saw yesterday has a bit of pace and bounce in the wicket and could suit Jimmy perfectly. The majority of the 9.30 starts in this tournament so far have seen the ball swing so if that happens here too then Jimmy could have a field day. As ever, with the bat, all eyes are on Kevin Pietersen who is yet to fire in this competition. He went well in the IPL though so I expect it's just a matter of time. Pakistan are a notoriously hard to call bunch. They can be brilliant or awful and often both. I'm not overly sure about their batting lineup. It hasn't really fired in this tournament yet but for a solid opening partnership against Bangladesh. With the ball their spin attack will be tricky to combat but the big decision is Sami or Asif. I'm a huge Asif fan but if Sami's batting gets him the gig that's to England's advantage. I think the conditions suit England more in Barbados as does the time of the match. I'm not always rushing to back England but I think we should be favourites here so at Ladbrokes 5/6 I'll take the 3 lions in this one. 3pts Over 9.5 6's Evs Blue Square In the two matches here yesterday, there were 10 6's and 12 6's with both matches having a supposedly lesser nation involved. Both games saw 140 as the opening score and yet still contained plenty of 6's. Commentators were saying that the Kensington Oval is a big ground these days but I don't agree. One of the Afghanistan players hit a ball out of the ground, it looked huge and was huge but it was only recorded at 92m. That's for a ball going out of the ground. So I think we're looking at 70m boundaries which are nothing these days. We've lots of hitters on show too. Lumb, Kieswetter, KP, Colly, Morgan and Wright for England are all capable of clearing any rope and then Pakistan have the Akmal's, Razzaq, Misbah and of course Afridi. So there's loads of hitters and good batting conditions so I'll take the overs here. 1pt ew E.Morgan Top England Batsman 5/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Eoin Morgan looks a cracking each way bet to me here. He's top scored in both England's matches so far and looks very at home on these wickets. His ability to play spin is amazing with some of the almost ridiculous shots he has and he's equally at home against the seamers as well. There's a bit of competition in this market as you would expect when you back someone who's in at number 5 but Pakistan have a good opening bowler in Aamir and possibly Asif as well so the top order may go cheaply. Even if they don't, only Luke Wright will score quicker than Morgan in this side and that's not guaranteed so at 5/1, safe in the knowledge we break even if he's 2nd or 3rd, I'll take the Irishman to top score for England in this match.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 Eng v Pak - Tied Match @ 36 NZ v SAF - Tied Match @ 34 Nothing too detailed about these bets. Two fairly even match ups. There have been no ties to date in this tournament, but a couple of games have been decided in the last couple of deliveries and I've got a feeling that if there is to be a tie these teams are likely to be involved. More gut feeling than anything. Strongly considering taking Aamer to be top Pakistan bowler @ $5.50, but haven't pulled the trigger as yet.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 2 for me in this 2nd match. 4pts New Zealand vs South Africa - 10 or more 6's 5/6 Sportingbet This looks a perfectly acceptable total for me here. As we've seen in the early match, the wicket is good. It's still got the pace and bounce we saw on Wednesday and the boundaries, as I thought, aren't that big here. Pakistan hit 6 6's in their innings on this and I think these two can do the same. Both have their share of big hitters. McCullum, Ryder, Guptill, Taylor and Oram are all big hitters of a cricket ball as is Nathan McCullum down the order. Smith, Bosman, de Villiers and Morkel are big hitters for South Africa. Neither side has a watertight bowling attack even though the wicket should suit both sides. South Africa yielded 5 6's to Afghanistan last night so there is the potential for New Zealand to hit plenty if they get going. The wicket is good, the personnel is there and the boundaries are accessible so I'm on the overs here. 3pts S.Styris' Performance Pts 29&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Scott Styris is very much a 3D cricketer in this form of the game and as such I think this total is very low. Styris is a solid batsman in one day cricket and will bat at 5 which might not be the worst position to bat given it was van der Merwe and surprise surprise Albie Morkel who went round the park against Afghanistan. Styris can play the rebuild innings or the crash bang wallop innings. His medium pace is also a big help for NZ on these wickets and it's no surprise he has 4 wickets in the tournament to date. he also fields at slip and close to the bat when the need arises as well so there's 3 strong scoring methods which leads me to take the overs on Styris' performance on a 29 line which should really be a lot nearer to 40 for me.

Sport Cricket
Event Sri Lanka v West Indies
Selection Sri Lanka
Strength 10/10
Date 07/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Totesport @ 1.80 (Back)
Reasoning I think I have a soft spot for Sri Lanka, but anyway I'll stick with them here. The batting line up looks shaky, but Jayawardene is in excellent form and he could destroy the Windies bowlings. Others look out of form, but they have class in the line up and I think can get the runs. The bowling is far superior to what the West Indies have to offer, and I think will be the difference. West Indies can perform really well and have match winners, but I'll take the Sri Lankans in this game.
Sport Cricket
Event Australia v India
Selection India
Strength 10/10
Date 07/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betdaq @ 2.21 (Back)
Reasoning Don't really see India as outsiders for this. They might be the best team in the tournament, and I think definately have the best batting line up. They have so many destructive batsmen it just takes 1 or 2 to go mental and they can score or chase big numbers. The bowling may be a bit suspect but they have very good spin options and I can see them tieing Australia up. Australia have a poor record in this format, but on paper still a strong team. They'll put more pace on the ball than most teams, which could go for a load or rough the Indians up. Should be a good game, but I just can't make a case for India being outsiders.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 2010 One for the 1st game. Was going to take Australia but I've missed the price. 3pts India vs Australia - Over 10.5 6's 5/6 William Hill I think we've got enough hitters on show here to yield the required 6's. We've seen in matches in Barbados that the wicket does allow players to hit through the line and these sides contain some of the biggest hitters in the game. For India we've got Vijay, Raina, Yuvraj, Dhoni and possibly the biggest of them all in Yusuf Pathan. Australia have Warner, Watson, Hussey and even Haddin and Johnson right down the order. As I said earlier the wicket plays well and the boundaries are achievable. A slight concern would be the quality of Australia's pace attack which I think will go really well here and in the end win Australia the match however that attack still gave up 6 6's to Bangladesh the other day so there's no reason why India won't hit a few. This line could easily have been a lot higher after the SA vs NZ match last night and the fact it isn't means I'll take the overs here.