Well Chief retired

From the Sporting Life website: Classy two-mile chaser Well Chief has been retired at the age of 11 following a disappointing run at the Cheltenham Festival. The David Pipe-trained gelding, owned by David Johnson, overcame well-documented leg problems which kept him off the track for long periods. Winner of the Arkle Trophy in 2004, Well Chief was second in the Queen Mother Champion Chase in both 2005 and 2009. He won 11 of his 29 starts and amassed £631,924 in prize-money. His final success came at Cheltenham in November, when he had Master Minded back in third place, but he could only finish seventh to Big Zeb in last month's Champion Chase. "It is a great shame that Chiefy never won a Champion Chase," the trainer told www.davidpipe.com. "But, despite the sleepless nights and worry, it has been a privilege to train him - I don't think I will ever train a horse with more ability. "I am sure that he will enjoy a long and happy retirement, he certainly deserves it."

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.