Pace in the Gold Cup ..

Was a bit surprised when I heard the first circuit of the Foxhunters was run at 6 secs faster pace than the Gold Cup. Many said Imperial Comander outstayed Denman and it's usually what one will say in a 3m3f race, but it looked steadish gallop early on and imo Imperial just outspeeded Denman in the end. It was strange seeing six out. There was a very good shot by the cameras. Kauto struggling off the bridle. AP asking Denman off the bridle for a bit to try and strech them. Carruthers, Imperial and Cooldine all still on the bridle. It wasn't normal seeing the top two off the bridle and the other three cantering. Imperial will probably prove me wrong, but it seemed to me Kauto and Denman weren't on song yesterday. Master Minded was awfull too. Don't think Nicholls was in top shape this year. Not knocking down the winner at all. I just think a Hennessy Denman would have given Imperial Commander a race that's all.

Re: Pace in the Gold Cup .. They went off very fast in the Foxhunters, too fast, which is why they were literally walking over the line at the finish. The Gold Cup pace wasn't as quick as I expected. It was a sensible, consistent gallop. Cooldine was fairly keen. The race was run perfectly for the winner, that's not to say he was flattered though, he certainly wasn't stopping. Think Denman run close to his Hennessy win or GC 2nd, they were a distance clear of the field remember.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.