** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Ok time to tidy up the numbers. Always nice to bag the first winner, takes the pressure off, cracking ride from Derek O'Connor, the C4 lot always praise the ride given to the winner but this time, spot on. Then you start to hope it might be THE day. So Long ran ok, hype again, didn't land the free bet from Bet365 for the 4/1+ winner but still in the placepot which was better than the first day. Tornado Bob was pulled up. the placepot bit the dust in the next with Aiteen Thirtythree running a reasonable race but Wymott was never going & pulled up. So much for a bit of info from the stable. Problem is having had a look at the club website they have three Timeform tips up for tomorrow, which is a bit unusual especially as ones at Towcester :eek Not sure what to do, back them & say nowt, pass them on? Any thoughts? Had he jumped two out anything like Master Minded would not have won, fourth, maybe third, anyway looks like he's gone at the top level. Got the market right though. Secret Dancer was a non runner. Tenor Nivernais ran a strange race, looked like been tailed off, then ran on late to finish a never nearer seventh. As I didn't back it I half expected Cinders and Ashes to win the bumper, anyway it didn't. One winner from seven bets then, I haven't included the free bet in the stakes. 190pts staked & 300pts back. Racing Club bets W/R 29/120 Stakes 3375pts Returns 3692.08pts P/L +317.08pts Rio.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 A quiet day for me today, just the one big fancy, a few longshots & a stab at the placepot. 1.30 If Wishfull Thinking runs up to the form that he showed when winning here over a furlong futher than the rest would need to improve 7 to 10lb on what they've shown to get near him. Chance that could happen as most are open to or are showing improvement but so is Wishfull Thinking. The tongue tie that he had on last time is on again & the ground is no problem. Bet. Wishfull Thinking 50pts @ 100/30 Bet365 BOG. 2.05 Looking for something at a price for the tipping comp & Son Amix fits the bill. Right weight, ratings band & price range. Consistent sort who ran a good fourth in the Fred Winter last year. Step up to this trip last run seemed to suit, slight worry about the ground being too fast. Bet. Son Amix 10pts win, 5pts place, 1/4 first 5 @ 20/1 Bet365 BOG. 3.20 Big Bucks is the dual champ & looks as good as ever. Like Master Minded, Big Zeb & the Gold Cup boys tomorrow is there to be shot at though. Grands Crus is the new kid on the block & the hype horse as well as one of the Timeform boys tips that I mentioned last evening. His wins this season have all looked impressive & the last one over C&D has had the formed franked by the 10l runner up Knockara Beau winning since & the fifth Bensalem took the handicap Chase on the first day. Should go well but will he handle the faster ground? Fivefourthree won the Ballymore (Neptune) here three years ago but is fragile & is another who might find this too fast. Mourad is an improver but again is the ground too quick? Zaynar seems to have lost the plot which brings me to Ashkazar. The run over C&D LTO on new years day was his first try at 3m & a career best. He does go on good ground & is a big price. Bet. Ashkazar 5pts ew 1/4 first 3 @ 40/1 Stan James. 4.00 Again trying to root out something for the comp & this time landed on Amigayle. Looked progressive at the end of 09 & her second at Ascot in the United House Handicap Chase is a smart bit of form. Off 15 months after that & came back at Sandown in early Feb over 3m, going well for a long way till weakening & pulling up. Scoped badly after that but trainer has had two winners & two seconds from only five runners in the last 14 days. Handles the ground & likes to bowl along & if she can get near her best form would have a squeak at a fancy price. Bet. Amigayle 5pts ew 1/4 first 4 @40/1 Stan James. 4.40 The other Timeform tip for Cheltenham is Galant Nuit. Third in this off 1lb less last year he's only had one run since in a hurdle race here which was a prep for the Welsh National but stuck into himself & was pulled up. Looks to have been kept fresh for this, with Nina Carberry a good booking, stable been out of sorts but won the last here on the first day. Bet. Galant Nuit 25pts @ 8/1 Hills BOG. Todays placepot 1.30 7 & 10 2.05 9 & 20 2.40 7 3.20 4 & 8 4.00 9 & 16 4.40 6 & 10 32 lines @ 0.5 pt =16pts staked. Indian Daudaie has made it into the Martin Pipe tomorrow with young Master Cowley on top, more later. The other Timeform tip is in the last at Towcester, which is a pretty dire looking conditionals handicap hurdle. They reckon the only progressive one is A Stone's Throw which improved on previous form when fourth at Catterick in a ladies amateur LTO on only his second start for his new yard. If he runs to that level today they think he'll win. I'll have a small bet. Bet. A Stone's Throw 20pts @ 4.9 Betfair. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Bit of an off the crossbar day with four seconds but the ew got some back. Wishfull Thinking jumped every fence superbly except the last but the winner was going better & would have won anyway. Son Amix bagged the place part, did they all give Buena Vista too much of a soft lead? Poquelin sank the placepot. Ashkazar seemed to get knocked into the rail down the back second time round & downed tools. Amigayle ran a great race for second. The two Timeform tips I backed :eyes Galant Nuit was never in the race, a shocker. And the one at Towcester ran alright but was another second. Nobody forced me to back em though. 146pts staked 85pts back. Racing Club bets W/R 31/127 Stakes 3521pts Returns 3777.08pts P/L +256.08pts I'll see whats said tomorrow about Indian Daudie. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I've been asked to work tomorrow day instead of the night because of illness, bit brassed off but they can't get anybody else :sad I've been looking at the card anyway & I've picked a couple out. The Triumph looks about as hard as it's been since the Fred Winter arrived on the scene & I'll pass. 2.05 Can Alarazi land the bonus? Must go well but I like Soldatino for this. He's run two good races this season & should be spot on for this now. C&D form having won the Triumph last year & has a touch of class. Bet. Soldatino 10pts ew @ 16/1 Bet365 BOG. Bobs Worth looks a worthy favourite in the 3m novice but not a bet. The Gold Cup has a plot like an Agatha Christie novel & I'll wait & see who done it. 4.00 No thanks. 4.40 I think Indian Daudaie can run well here, can he win? It's wide open as usual but he's got 11-02 less the 8lb James Cowley claims & the way he's run so far suggests the step up in distance will suit. Don't know about the ground but who's to say it won't suit & he's shorter than the price I got the other day :hope Bet. Indian Daudaie 10pts ew @ 25/1 Bet365 BOG. 5.15 Anquetta fits the profile for this, under 11st & right sort of OR. Looks an improver winning last two & David Bass who's riden him in both those races takes off 3lb. The trainer likes to have a go at this race named after his Dad & while he's only won it once in the last ten years he has had 5 placed from 19. Bet. Anquetta 30pts @ 9/1 Paddy Power BOG. No placepot which might not be a bad thing. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010

well done on the placing for Indian Daudaie Rio' date=' ran well today[/quote'] Thanks, yes he did & a very tidy ride by James Cowley too. Watched the races not knowing the results having avoided everything like the plague at work. Dead weird as when it became clear he wasn't going to win but looked nailed on for fourth & I suddenly find myself shouting for Henry Brooke, who rode Red Merlin for us the other week & who was on Son of Flicka & got done close home. Top stuff. I'm wondering where he'll go next but in the long term I liked the way he gave the hurdles plenty of daylight & he will jump a fence I'm sure. The other two ran good races as well & I've enjoyed the week. 70pts today & Indian Daudaie's place got me 72.5pts back. Three winning days from four & a profit on the week. Racing Club bets W/R 32/130 Stakes 3591pts Returns 3849.58pts P/L +258.58pts Looking on the club web site their delighted by the run & more to follow over the weekend. My eye though is drawn to the entry of Red Merlin in a conditional novice hurdle at Hereford next Wednesday, I've not been there & it falls very nicely into my shift pattern. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 They were a little slow posting their post Cheltenham thoughts on the club website but got round to it yesterday afternoon. Indian Daudaie is reported as fine after his good run & is likely to have one more outing before being put away for the Autumn when he will go chasing, although I did think a horse had to be a 5yo to jump fences in Britain? Anyway it may be he goes to something at Aintree or back to Cheltenham in April or the Scottish Grand National meeting at Ayr. Yesterday afternoon Red Merlin was down as doubtful to go to Hereford & had been entered in two races at Sedgefield on Friday & at Newbury on Saturday & with one of the Sedgefield races the likely target. Indeed they were asking for applications for those races but not for Hereford & I was a bit miffed as I can't do those. Why I looked at the Racing Post website at lunchtime I don't know but to my suprise I find Red Melin is declared to run tomorrow. The reason given is that the race has cut up & it's a soft option, how you know this without declaring, unless you ring up the trainers of all those entered to see if they're going to run or not is beyond me. Anyway I have a badge but I would have prefered to have gone down this afternoon & stayed over, now it's there & back tomorrow. I'll have a look at the card in more detail this evening but at first glance it's poor fare but what the hell it's better than been at work. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Having spent some time looking at the Hereford card for tomorrow I have to say that most interesting race from a non punting aspect is the hunter chase that winds up proceedings. Good Company sets a high standard & has form with the former Paul Nicholls trained Takeroc & ought to beat him but Takeroc has shown better form since & is only an 8yo & should be at his peak now. What really makes it interesting is the former Stayers Hurdle winner My Way de Solzen runs. That day will live long in my memory, at least until they cart me off in a box or my mind goes (the former please) as he landed me a very nice ante-post bet. I suspect though I will have set off for home by then because the rest of the card is frankly dire. As we're in the first we will soon know our fate. Of the other runners Paddy Partridge has the best hurdles form, he won a fast ground novice at Uttoxeter last July then ran a good race in second at Newcastle on heavy 25 days ago. He'll be better on the faster ground but we must have too much speed for him. Cityar has been on the floor in two of three hurdle stars & Deejan looks the stable second string. The one unknown is Behtarini whose an Aga Khan cast off from John Oxx & is very well bred being by Dalakhani, who knows? If we're going to the Swinton then he's got to win here in style. At the moment only the exchanges have prices & Betfairs over round is all over the shop, I suspect he wil be around 4/6 which is too short for me normally. For the rest of the card the other novice hurdle at 3.05 looks to be between Mister Chancer & Mr Moss, with preference for the former. He too will be odds on but if I can get around 2/1 the double I'll have enough on to pay for the petrol. we'll see in the morning. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I could get used to this. What a smashing day. No traffic problems going or coming back. The weather was unbelievable, it was like a cracking Summers day. The race went like clockwork, he bounced off the ground, jumped great & dotted up by a hard held 10l. There's a really nice couple that I've met at the track & on stable vists loads of times, Trevor's been there when we've had winners but his wife Sue has been loads of times & not seen one win. She was begining to think she was a jinx so it was great that she was there today. Just logged on to the club site & they're speculating where next, another novice or do they raise the sights? As well as the Swinton, the Conditional/Amateur riders handicap at Aintree on National day & the Scottish Champion hurdle are been mentioned. There was a group of kids there today, around 10 or 11yo's I'd say, all dressed in silks too big, must have been a school trip. The officials were making a fuss of them & they were getting autographs from the jockeys including Henry before our race. Good to see that. A first for me today. The only bookies pricing up before I set off this morning were Bet365 who were going 4/7 Red Merlin & 8/11 Mister Chancer, which is not quite 7/4 the double. At the track Red Merlin opened at 1/2 & went off 2/5 so I didn't think I'd get the 2/1 I wanted for the pair, as it happened Mister Chancer went off evens & was 11/10 at one point so I could have got the 2/1. However I didn't bet & thats the first time I've ever been at the track & not had a wager. Never mind it was worth the trip. Pics attached. Pre parade, two from the parade ring & coming back in to the winners. The last one the sun was at the wrong angle & its a bit dark. Theres one of some of the kids on the winners stand too. Rio.

post-484-14429283547444_thumb.jpg

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 A quiet few days which I was not expecting. Red Merlin was in at Hereford again yesterday with the news from the club site that he had been put in a novice hurdle to check that he wouldn't have a penalty from the the two wins in conditionals & that as that was the case he was likely to run. A look at the race would seem to show that he should have an excellent chance but he didn't get declared. The news then comes that his next outing will be a handicap, maybe at Aintree or a race a week later at the Scottish National meeting at Ayr, with a couple of options including the Scottish Champion hurdle & indeed he has been entered in that which is an early closer, however Overturn looks likely to defend his title in that. Why then was he also entered at Newcastle tomorrow & Market Rasen on Sunday in novice hurdles :unsure Anyway it seems that Indian Daudie will be put in the 2.5m & 3m handicaps at Aintree & the 3m novice. Plenty Pocket may run in the charity race on Grand National day which is a 1m 5f flat race. This replaces the peoples race & should he run he is likely to be ridden by Charlie Swan. Arabian Spirit was in the Lincoln & the Spring Mile but has just missed the cut in the latter having had no chance of getting in the big one. He is, it seems ready to go & will be out where there is some juice in the ground soon. Sunrise Safari is quite backward & will need a bit longer. I am now on my travels again. I have a stable vist this Sunday at a certain P Nicholls at Ditcheat in Somerset. Because it's a fair old trek I'll be staying over & having had a look I see there is racing at Stratford tomorrow & I shall be paying a first vist to the track. I've had a look at the card & like Goodwood Starlight for the first race. He's taken a while to get the hang of jumping but won well at Fakenham LTO & can go on from that, Falcon Island is a maiden but has some fair form & looks the one to beat. No Bookies prices yet but Betfair go around 5/2, 11/4ish & I'll try to get a bet on later or in the morning at around that to 40pts or wait till I get there. Later on the card the 3.40 looks to be between Tatispout & Rivaliste & for the 4.40 I have Prince des Marais & Commemoration Day, I've already backed these 2x2 for 4 doubles with 40pts split to return approx 180pts at 3's & 4's the first two & 11/4 & 7/2 the second pair with Paddy Power BOG. I've booked a couple of nights at Shepton Mallet & on Saturday I'm thinking of crossing another track off the list by going over the border to Chepstow. I'll see how the card looks tomorrow evening, if I don't go racing there should be a few sights to take in instead. I have been working on my new thread for the start of the flat. Some of you may remember the Curse of the Flying Dutchman from the ATR Systems forum from 08/09. Rather like Frankensteins monster he is taking some laying to rest & is about to rear his ugly head again. I'll have the camera warmed up for Sunday. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Struggled to get a wi-fi connection this morning & I need to get a move on to get off to Chepstow so no round up for yesterday till later. Had a few bets as usual. 2.15 Street Dance won well LTO & is a decent bet. 2.45 Vincentian has some smart bumper form & can go well on hurdling debut. 3.20 Super Directa is a short price but can't see what can beat him. 5.30 Quipe Me Posted looks progessive, this is the one I'll be backing at the track. 3.10 Donnny No time start the new thread but Tartan Gigha is the selection. Bets. Street Dance 20pts @ 6/1. Vincentian 10pts ew @ 11/1. Super Directa 30pts @ 6/5. Quipe Me Posted 20pts @ 2/1. The above two a 10pt double. Tartan Gigha 10pts ew @ 16/1. All Bet365 BOG. I'll have 50pts Quipe Me Posted on course. Rio.

Stratford Ok time for a round up. I wasn't expecting a lot from here, which is a good job because it's not up to much in truth. Took a bit of finding as well & their a bit cheeky asking for £3 to park at against the rails at the side of the track, especially this month with free entry going on all over. Goodwood Starlight never got in the race & the other one Falcon Island broke his duck. Rivaliste & rider parted company at the second & Tatispout never got in it which sank the doubles bet, the other half of which I had the winner Commemoration Day. 80pts down on bets posted then but I actually came of the track in front as I somehow contrived to find Leopard Hills the winner of the selling hurdle, funny old game this. I'm not claiming this in the returns though. Racing Club bets W/R 32/132 Stakes 3671pts Returns 3849.58pts P/L +178.58pts Not a deal worth photographing but this is not a bad shot at the water jump. Rio.

Chepstow Hotel was good, bit frayed around the edges but food was spot on, huge breakfast, no need for lunch, great value. Across the Severn Bridge to Chepstow, £5.70 toll but at least it's only going into Wales. Now I know Chepstows undulating, but you can't tell how much on the telly. Punting wise. Street Dance & Vincentian never showed, neither did Tartan Ghiga at Donny. Super Directa was backed to odds on & dotted up so I needed Quipe Me Posted for a good day & he ran ok but was always held by Rileyev in the straight. Had another couple of bets in between but they never showed either. 170pts staked & 66pts back from Super Directa. Racing Club bets W/R 33/138 Stakes 3841pts Returns 3915.58pts P/L +74.58pts Pic of the course & Ruby & Rangitoto ping the last. Rio.

Paul Nicholl's Stable Vist Cup of Coffee in the village pub which is full of pictures of the yards big winners & silks etc & then a short walk to the stables. As you go in the big boys are all in the first half dozen boxes in a small courtyard type enterance. The other boxes are round the back & there's 82 in total with another 40 at a satellite yard about a mile away. One of the staff said take pictures, look round for half an hour or so & there were a couple others if we needed to ask questions & then meet back in the courtyard when the boss would be out to see us & they'd parade Kauto Star, Denman, Big Bucks & our two Indian Daudie & Plenty Pocket. So it's out with the camera, from the top left & going clockwise. Denman, kauto Star, Master Minded & Big Bucks.

post-484-14429283548234_thumb.jpg

Stable Vist 2 A nice half hour or so wandering round, all very relaxed, it felt like we were in a small yard somewhere & not the most powerful jumps stable in the country. Then back to meet the boss who was very good, cracked a few jokes & gave us a few thoughts in terms of who goes for what at Liverpool & beyond. First thing to say is this is not a gambling stable & even if it was he isn't going to tell us, so while we didn't get much I reckon what he did say would be about right. Those that run at Cheltenham don't always run to form at Aintree & loads have been beaten. Big Bucks will go for the 3m Liverpool hurdle & should win it again although the track doesn't suit him as much as Cheltenham. He is highly unlikely to jump a fence ever again & will follow the same route next season. Denman will go for the Totesport Bowl & again while the course will not suit as much as Cheltenham & he fell in the race two years ago he is in much better form now & has only had the two runs this season. He will return in the Henessey again & then may go to Ireland for the Lexus. Master Minded seems better in himself than in the QM the other week & they haven't given up on him yet. Kauto Star goes to Punchestown & then they'll see. Of the Grand National runners. What A Friend has schooled well over some fences that have been prepared like the National fences, if the ground is good he would be the one. Niche Market got stuck into in the race last year, this has been his target all season & softer ground would suit him. He sounded quite sweet on the chance of Celestial Halo who missed the festival & seems to be returning to his best. I think I'll see what price he is when the book opens on the Aintree hurdle. Pics. What A friend wouldn't stick his head out. Kauto Star & Denman parade. Big Bucks is huge, a right monster.

post-484-14429283548556_thumb.jpg

post-484-14429283548785_thumb.jpg

Stable Vist 3 So what of our two. Indian Daudie has been put in the 2m 4f handicap on Thursday, the 3m handicap on the Friday & the 3m Sefton novice also on Friday. Which one he goes for depends on the ground & the likely line ups. A Summer off will see him fill out & he will make a chaser as he jumps well. Plenty Pocket will run in the Charity race before the first proper race on Saturday with Charlie Swan up. Then the plan is to wait till after the Sandown meeting which ends the season to preserve his novice status before having another go hurdling & see how he goes. He may not have acclimatised enough before the Ascot flop on sticky ground seems in better form now & the breathing op is on hold for now. While I'm at it Red Merlin is in the Handicap after the National & at this point it is the intention to run. Arabian Spirit is entered in a 7f handicap at Thirsk on Saturday, a lot depends on the going. Indian Daudie, Plenty Pocket & together.

post-484-14429283549128_thumb.jpg

And finally One of the other members was kind enough to take a few shots of me with Kauto Star, he's the good looking one on the left. He then decided he wanted chew the pocket off my jacket, maybe he thought I had some mints or something & at this point I'm looking a bit worried. Thankfully he stopped before I had to explain to the owner & trainer how their pride & joy had choked on my coat & we made up. Rio.

post-484-14429283549485_thumb.jpg

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Some funny goings on at the moment, especially with Red Merlin. First there's the "He's not going to Hereford" but he did, which drew the barbed comments about some trainers not sticking to plans. Then he's in at Hereford again with no penalty for winning the conditionals events, which looks a good option to exploit the system, except he doesn't go there or for similar races at Newcastle & Newbury. He's going for a good handicap next. The race after the Grand National then? Not according to the website, too hot a race so he'll go to Ayr next week. However Donald McCain is the subject of this weeks stable column in the RFO where he states that Red Merlin goes to Aintree with Henry Brooke to ride. A look at the Racing Post card shows he's in the race ok if declared & Henry is shown as the jockey!!! Now the site has asked for applications for all three days at Aintree. To be fair they said Indian Daudaie was very unlikely to run Thursday & would go for the Sefton on Friday, which rather seems like tilting at windmills to me depending what turns up. It looks to me like a day out at a big meeting to me, which is fine in it's self, however I have no desire to be crammed in with a load of P"£$heads whose sole intent is to get as drunk as they can, as quick as they can. Therefore I decided not to apply. To me Red Merlin has a chance of running well if allowed to take his chance & I would have tried for a badge if I knew he was running. However Plenty Pocket is in the Charity race on Saturday & there are badges for that which would count for both runners. It would be just like me to get a badge for Plenty Pocket & Red Merlin not to run & while it may seem I'm being churlish I wouldn't go just for Plenty Pocket for the reasons already stated, plus there's getting there, the car parking sounds naff & the suggested method is by train, with another bunch of alecarts, no thanks. I've decided not to bother, although Arabian Spirit is still in at Thirsk & if he gets in I would go, I'll find out this lunchtime. As for today. Three Nicholl's hotpots in the first three races. I note that Big Buck's was off his grub Mon/Tues but seems ok now, doubtless we'll get the blame for giving him a bug on Sunday if he flops but he ought to win. Zarkandar's had an abscess in his mouth & I see there are dark mutterings in another thread, no comment from me. Denman is on the slide. Yes he had a hard race in the Gold Cup & fell in this race before but really he should beat this lot pulling two carts. In the Foxhunters at the odds I like Heron's Well. Baby Run if he stands up will take some beating but he fell in this last year & also tipped up two out at Cheltenham, I'm not sure he'd have won even if he'd stayed up either. Turko was quite smart & won well LTO but is another who's jumping is iffy. Heron's Well also unseated at Cheltenham but generally jumps well, at the price he's worth a punt. Bet. Heron's Well 20pts @ 12/1 VCBet BOG. I was looking at Wishfull Thinking in the novice but he's a bit short for me. The other bet today is Pateese in the last. Looks to be improving & the third in the Imperial Cup looks quite good form. Step up in trip should suit & he has a nice weight. Bet. Pateese 20pts @ 14/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Nothing from yesterday Heron's Well got brought down at the one before Bechers & Pateese was bang there turning in but quickly faded. Got to go out so quickly. 2.00 Sire De Grugy will like the flat track & missed Cheltenham. 2.30 Quito De La Roque also didn't go to the festival, three from four over fences with only defeat a length second to Bostons Angel who won the RSA. Slight worry about the ground been too fast. 3.40 Mon Parrain could be owt but is only a 5yo & will not have seen anything like these fences. Dev won the Grand Sefton over C&D in Nov 09 & first run since was good second at Cork. Now with Gordon Elliott who has a good record over here. 4.15 The club website seem to think that the race has not cut up as much as Paul Nicholls thought it would & Indian Daudaie has a lot on his plate. Ruby is supposed to be going to ride a waiting race & try to creep into it late, we'll see. Had a small ew just in case. I like Sparky May, improving & no Quevega in this. Bets. Sire De Grugy 30pts @ 9/2 Quito De La Roque 30pts @ 9/2 Dev 20pts @ 8/1 Sparky May 30pts @ 6/1 1pt ew fourtimer, all Bet365 BOG. Indian Daudaie 5pts ew @ 20/1, 1/4 first 3 Bet365 BOG. Having had a look at the clud website there is a change of plan, Red Merlin will run tomorrow :@ The reasons why will follow it says. I have another stable vist on Sunday & I will have something to say. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 First off I think Indian Daudaie is ok, he was brought down heavily 2 out when not that far back & was creeping closer, he wouldn't have threatened the places but wouldn't have been far off either. He seemed to get up & trot away alright, nice of the Beeb to show the jockeys were ok, lets not worry about the horses eh? Dev tipped up halfway round but the others ran well, 2 thirds & a game battling win from Quito De La Roque with the sp paying a nice 6/1. 122pts staked & 210pts returned, I've added yesterdays bets into the running total. Racing Club bets W/R 34/148 Stakes 4003pts Returns 4125.58pts P/L +122.58pts It seems that Donald McCain has insisted that Red Merlin runs & that is why they have changed their minds. He feels the penny has dropped with the horse hurdling wise & he has a good chance. However we may not have the services of Henry Brooke who had a crashing fall at the first in the 4.50 & has gone to hospital with a shoulder injury :hope Arabian Spirit was declared for Thirsk but was balloted out. I've had my National bets already but will post them tomorrow with any others. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Just spent an hour doing a post then lost it, I'm not doing it again. Briefly then. Red Merlin is a non runner due to Henry brooke having a broken wrist, cracked elbow & torn shoulder ligaments. The Timeform crew don't fancy the suggested replacement John Kington. Plenty Pocket is 5/2 fav for the Charity event with the couple of firms pricing up, I will be watching only. I have backed Celestial Halo in the 2.50. Don't like Binocular & Peddlers & Oscar Whisky had a hard race in the Champion. Grand National. Had Niche Market ante-post but is a longer price now. I like the Irsh National form. Main bet is Oscar Time to give Sam Waley-Cohen a unique treble. Bluesea Cracker is weighted to go close to him. Don't Push it can run well again. An outsider with a squeak could be Golden Kite. Bets. Celestial Halo 15pts @ 12/1 Bet365 BOG. Niche Market 20pts @ 20/1 Coral, Ante-post. Oscar Time 50pts @ 14/1 Hills BOG. Bluesea Cracker 10pts ew @ 25/1 Totesport. Don't Push It 10pts ew @ 11/1 VCBet BOG. Golden Kite 5pts ew @ 80/1 VCBet BOG. The above five National runners in a 20p combination Exactas & 10p combination Triflectas, £10 staked. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Celestial Halo was stone last on Saturday. Close but no cigar in the Grand National with the five bets giving a second, third & fifth. I think on refection I got the staking wrong & should have don't a bit more place wise, just a bit back from Don't Push It. Racing Club bets W/R 35/154 Stakes 4138pts Returns 4163.08pts P/L +25.08pts Indian Daudaie is fine & Ruby thinks he might have nicked a place had he stood up, no idea if thats it for the season. Plenty Pocket choked again & will go for a breathing op. I am assured there is no problem between the club & Donald McCain & Red Merlin will be entered at Ayr next weekend. Rio.

Richard Fahey Stable Vist Cracking day again up at Malton. This is getting a big operation now, with around 200 horses. Our two had a canter up the gallops with Prime Exhibit. Arabian Spirit is ready & may go to Ripon next Saturday. Sunrise is getting there now & will be out in two to three weeks. Not a lot to report for future plans but he has got a decent one in Mull of Killough who was third in the Lioncoln last year & then ran well at Epsom but didn't handle the track. No chance from the draw when last seen in the Royal Hunt Cup & he will be aimed at all the big mile handicaps. No 2yo with Richard which is a disappointment but there may be more news later this week on that score. Tried put some pics up but must be getting near the limit. Rio.

Ollie Pears Stable Vist This was about 10 minutes away & they have 30 boxes, all full. I have to say I enjoyed this more than the other which was too big to take in & Ollie took us through all the horses & came across well. A few to note. Saharia needs another few weeks then he'll look for a 7f handicap for him. If he doesn't improve then he may go to claimers. My Arch is a 9yo stayer, ran well in the Ces & won a valuable race at Musselburgh. Suffers with his back but when right is still useful & might go the the big meetings at Ascot & Goodwood where the staying races can cut up. Noodles Blue Boy, 5yo who is a Summer sprinter, best at 5f. The Caped Crusader is a 4yo. 10f's on good or softer preferably, he likes this one a lot. Quiet Mountain, 6yo who runs on the aw & his target is the London Mile final at Kempton in September. Jade is a big 3yo filly, won her last start last year & should improve. Bonne Millie is also a 3yo & had three runs at 5f, all at Beverley for Richard Fahey last year. Still a maiden & Ollie thinks she needs a mile. Sound Amigo is a 3yo gelding who won his only start at Wolverhampton in Feb & can go on. He only has two 2yo's one is yet to be named & is by Vital Equine & he likes that one. I'll be keeping an eye on the yard because with not many runners it's easier to follow & a look at the results seem to suggest that he knows what he's doing.