No Fortune as Gosden gets a Buick!

RACING NEWS
spacer.gif
'BEST STILL TO COME' FROM GOSDEN-BOUND BUICK By Keith Hamer, Press Association Sport William Buick's meteoric rise to the top has been cemented with his appointment as stable jockey to top Newmarket trainer John Gosden. The 21-year-old, who only rode his first winner three years ago and was joint champion apprentice in 2008, replaces Jimmy Fortune. Buick is spending the winter in the United Arab Emirates where he has already enjoyed some success. He has spent his career to date with Andrew Balding at Kingsclere, and the trainer revealed his mixed feelings at the news. "Obviously we are very sad to lose him. He's been a valuable asset to the yard, but I think there's no mistaking, it's a good career move for him and we wish him well," said Balding. "He's come a long way in a short time and you don't do that unless you've got a lot of natural talent, which he has. "He's by no means the finished article, but there's better yet to come. "From the minute he started riding on the track he was always instinctively making the right decisions and horses run for him - that's the main thing. "He starting coming to the yard at the age of 15 during the holidays until he finished his education. "We are sorry to lose him, but I hope he will be able to ride for us again in the future at some stage. "We've got David Probert coming along well, Liam Keniry has been very reliable, but we will be looking to hopefully find somebody to add to the team." Buick's first winner came at Salisbury in September 2006 and an early big-race triumph came in the Wokingham Stakes at Royal Ascot in June 2007 on Dark Missile for Balding. He landed his first Group One victory on the Mick Channon-trained Lahaleeb in the EP Taylor Stakes at Woodbine in October. Buick's father Walter, a multiple champion jockey in Scandinavia and now race reader for the Press Association, was delighted at the news. "I've always thought a big job was coming his way, but I never thought it would be this year," said Buick senior. "It's fantastic, a huge thing for him. "When I was riding abroad he was always with me from early on. He knew the racing game before he was 12 years of age "He's such an ambassador that he made sure Andrew Balding was the first person to know. "He didn't want Andrew to read it in any newspaper article because he owes the Baldings an awful lot. "He's put that right and Andrew was very pleased on his behalf." Bookmakers believe the appointment makes Buick a leading contender for the 2010 jockeys' championship. William Hill go only 10-1, having taken a £200 bet in October 2006 from one Wiltshire punter to become champion before 2016 at odds of 66-1. "This move propels William Buick into the major league for jockeys," said Hills' spokeswoman Kate Miller. "Punters became enamoured with him during his conditional days, and he's been popular ever since. His new appointment could end up causing the bookies some major headaches!" Coral go 16-1, while Sky Bet are even bigger at 25-1. Coral's David Stevens said: "In his short career to date William Buick has always been regarded as a future champion. "Although Ryan Moore and Kieren Fallon remain the men to beat in our book, William is certain to be a title contender for many seasons to come, and we already make him odds on to enjoy his first top-level success on home soil this year." Sky Bet's Matt Doyle added: "Ryan Moore may not be looking over his shoulder just yet, but securing one of the top jobs in racing is the next step up the ladder for Buick. "His mentor Ian Balding backed him to be champion jockey before 2020 at 500-1 and there would be few layers at evens now such is the meteoric rise of the 21-year-old riding sensation."

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.