Accenture World Matchplay Golf Championships

Guest Yer Man

Guest Yer Man

Below are Accenture Match Play Championship records and best finishes for each of the 64 players competing in this year's event. Accenture Match Play Championship records Player Record Best showing Robert Allenby 3-3 Advanced to third round in 2003 Stuart Appleby 2-5 Advanced to third round in 2001 Rich Beem 0-1 Lost in first round in 2003 Thomas Bjorn 3-3 Advanced to third round in 2001 Chad Campbell 0-0 No previous experience Michael Campbell 2-4 Advanced to third round in 2001 Paul Casey 0-1 Lost in first round in 2003 Alex Cejka 2-1 Advanced to third round in 2003 K. J. Choi 1-1 Advanced to second round in 2003 Stewart Cink 2-4 Advanced to third round in 1999 Darren Clarke 9-3 Winner in 2000 Fred Couples 2-2 Advanced to third round in 1999 Ben Curtis 0-0 No previous experience Brian Davis 0-0 No previous experience Chris DiMarco 1-3 Advanced to second round in 2002 Bob Estes 5-5 Advanced to quarterfinals in 2002 Niclas Fasth 3-2 Advanced to third round in 2002 Brad Faxon 9-4 Finished third in 2002 Steve Flesch 2-2 Advanced to third round in 2002 Fred Funk 0-4 Lost in first round in 1999-01, 2003 Sergio Garcia 4-3 Advanced to third round in 2000, 2002 Retief Goosen 3-4 Advanced to second round in 2000-2002 Jay Haas 3-1 Advanced to quarterfinals in 2003 Padraig Harrington 1-4 Advanced to second round in 2003 Tim Herron 2-2 Advanced to second round in 2000-2001 Scott Hoch 7-4 Advanced to quarterfinals in 2000 Charles Howell III 1-2 Advanced to second round in 2002 John Huston 5-4 Finished third in 1999 Trevor Immelman 0-1 Lost in first round in 2003 Toshi Izawa 4-3 Advanced to third round in 2003 Fredrik Jacobson 0-0 No previous experience Miguel Angel Jiminez 3-2 Advanced to quarterfinals in 2000 Shingo Katayama 0-2 Lost in first round in 2002, 2003 Jonathan Kaye 0-1 Lost in first round in 2001 Jerry Kelly 3-2 Advanced to quarterfinals in 2003 Stephen Leaney 2-2 Advanced to third round in 2003 Justin Leonard 5-5 Advanced to third round in 2001 Peter Lonard 4-2 Finished fourth in 2003 Davis Love III 6-5 Finished fourth in 2000 Shigeki Maruyama 9-4 Advanced to quarterfinals in 1999, 2001 Rocco Mediate 2-4 Advanced to second round in 2002, 2003 Shaun Micheel 0-0 No previous experience Phil Mickelson 4-4 Advanced to third round in 1999, 2003 Colin Montgomerie 1-4 Advanced to second round in 2000 Kenny Perry 0-3 Lost in first round in 2001-2003 Ian Poulter 0-0 No previous experience Nick Price 5-4 Advanced to third round in 2002, 2003 Phillip Price 0-2 Lost in first round in 2001, 2002 Chris Riley 1-1 Advanced to second round in 2003 Loren Roberts 2-3 Advanced to third round in 1999 John Rollins 0-0 No previous experience Eduardo Romero 4-2 Advanced to quarterfinals in 1999 Justin Rose 1-1 Advanced to second round in 2003 Adam Scott 6-2 Finished third in 2003 Vijay Singh 3-4 Advanced to second round in 1999, 2001-2002 Jeff Sluman 3-5 Advanced to second round in 2000, 2001, 2003 David Toms 10-4 Finished second in 2003 Bob Tway 2-2 Advanced to second round in 1999, 2000 Scott Verplank 3-4 Advanced to second round in 1999, 2001, 2002 Duffy Waldorf 2-2 Advanced to third round in 2000 Mike Weir 3-3 Advanced to second round in 2000, 2002, 2003 Lee Westwood 2-3 Advanced to second round in 2000, 2002 Tiger Woods 14-3 Won event in 2003

Re: Accenture World Matchplay Golf Championships I think this is one of the hardest events to pick a winner, or even a place. Great info by Yer Man above.:clap Looking through the list demonstrates how hard it is, only 2 previous winners in the field. Catching a player right is more important this week than any other, to win they need to come through an 18 hole match per day on Wed/Thu/Fri, 2 18 hole matches on saturday and a 36 hole final on Sunday. Thats 6 matches and potentially 144 holes without going through any major sticky patches. Having said all that it ain't gonna stop me from having a go. :ok

Guest Yer Man

1st round match ups Match # Players 1 Padraig Harrington vs Toshi Izawa 2 Scott Verplank vs Bob Estes 3 Jonathan Kaye vs Duffy Waldorf 4 Chris Riley vs Ian Poulter 5 Darren Clarke vs Eduardo Romero 6 Justin Leonard vs Alex Cejka 7 Stuart Appleby vs Justin Rose 8 Chris DiMarco vs Michael Campbell 9 David Toms vs Niclas Fasth 10 Paul Casey vs Shaun Micheel 11 Retief Goosen vs John Huston 12 Peter Lonard vs Rocco Mediate 13 Kenny Perry vs Jeff Sluman 14 Brad Faxon vs Steve Flesch 15 Phil Mickelson vs Lee Westwood 16 Charles Howell III vs Ben Curtis 17 Thomas Bjorn vs Scott Hoch 18 Fredrik Jacobson vs Phillip Price 19 Nick Price vs Colin Montgomerie 20 K.J. Choi vs Stewart Cink 21 Chad Campbell vs Tim Herron 22 Jay Haas vs Loren Roberts 23 Robert Allenby vs Brian Davis 24 Adam Scott vs Miguel A. Jimenez 25 Tiger Woods vs John Rollins 26 Trevor Immelman vs Shigeki Maruyama 27 Mike Weir vs Rich Beem 28 Stephen Leaney vs Fred Funk 29 Vijay Singh vs Shingo Katayama 30 Jerry Kelly vs Sergio Garcia 31Davis Love III vs Briny Baird 32 Bob Tway vs Fred Couples

Guest Yer Man

1st round fourballs Would agree with 2damnhype about how hard it is to find a winner. Will be looking at the match ups probably pick three do a treble and 3 doubles. There are proven matchplay players in this field and I will review the singles records for the Ryder and Presidents cups for any players I fancy on first round match ups. On first glance absolutely nothing stands out but like yourself it will not deter me from having a punt.

Guest Yer Man

ist round picks Kaye Riley Goosen Verplank Kaye in good form Waldorf pulled out of Nissan with bad back Riley home town boy Poulter hit and miss Goosen again good form in American #1 rated in many categories Verplank up against Estes who is rubbish at the minute I think the winner could come from the bottom half of Ben Hogan draw which has Weir,Goosen,Kaye, and Riley in it. Keep getting drawn to Weir who would seem to have an easy route to the quarters. He is also a good match player. Only thing putting me off is that he might be drained from last week.

Guest ROON YIN

Re: ist round picks A LOT OF GOOD TIES IN THE FIRST ROUND NOT AS CLEAR AS IT LOOKS ON PAPER A FEW BIG NAMES WILL PERISH I THINK THAT ROSE CAMPBELL FAXON WILL PROGRESS & I LIKE THE LOOK OF A WEE DOUBLE WITH NICK & PHILIP REMEMBER THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Accenture Gonna steer clear of potential 'multiple heartache' with the early matches and grasp the nettle and go for an outright: Loren Roberts 125/1 (Skybet & Totexpress) They pay 1/4 odds for reaching the semis, which will do me fine. Roberts reached the Quarters two years ago, in the last 2 years has lost in the first round, but has taken his games to extra holes against Sergio Garcia (21) and Mike Weir (26). Fabulous putter, had a steady start to the year, and i like the fact that he had a good showing last week in the Knee-san without getting too close. Will probably be back tomorrow with another attempt.

Guest Yer Man

Outright winner Loren Roberts is an interesting choice. I was thinking of Jay Hass at 66/1 ew 1234but when I looked into Lorens form and record could not decide if Hass would make it through the first round. I will wait and see who wins but these two guys are in part of the draw Vijay(tired) apart that contains a number of players showing erratic form Garcia,leonard,clark,flesh(anything could happen) and stand a good chance of getting to the Semis. So Think Jay hass or Loren Roberts good outsiders

Guest Carlisle Blue

Accenture World Matchplay I was thinking about Mike Weir but changed my mind not only because of the effort he put in last weekend but the course at Riviera favours faders, but would of course been natural for Weir being a left hander. Reading Jeremy Chapman's course characteristics it shouldn't give Weir as much of an advantage. One thing which did strike me was that with the generous fairways and quality iron play, could this be a decent opportunity for someone who I usually love to lay, Phil Mickelson? I'll also take local home boy Chris Riley as well as Phil against the field.

Guest Yer Man

Mickelson I already have Phil for the masters ante post 33/1 as per my post in January. Just have a gut feeling that he is tailoring his game this year to the Masters ie hitting fairways (he is back down the driving length stats this year and up on driving accuracy) and giving his brilliant iron/putting play a chance. Feel in match play he will revert to ripping the ball of the tee and although he will make more birdies than oppenents feel he will give away too many bogies. Still fancy him for the masters but would tend to favour Adam Scott in this part of the draw.

Guest Carlisle Blue

Mickelson It will be interesting to watch but I would have thought that Mickelson would want to play some more "restrained" rounds to give him more practice of his new style prior to Augusta. Especially as matchplay is more pressurised it would also show if he will bottle it under pressure as he has done in the past. Had a look at the individual games i thought that Darren Clarke, Robert Allenby and Adam Scott were of interest.

Guest ROON YIN

just noticed BEEM TO BEAT WEIR MEDIATE TO BEAT LONARD THATS THE LAST NOW FOR THE BIG CHAIR A DOZEN McEWANS & THE TELLY PLUNKER FOR CHANNEL HOPING BETWEEN THE FITBA AND THE GOWF

Guest Yer Man

history of first round matches 1999 - 14 of 32 matches won by higher seed 2000 - 21 of 32 matches won by higher seed 2001 - 20 of 32 matches won by higher seed 2002 - 19 of 32 matches won by higher seed 2003 - 19 of 32 matches won by higher seed 2004 - 20 of 32 matches won by higher seed Thought the golf was exciting but pretty rubbish. Think the way has opened for Weir to the semis. Maybe big Darren can get it together thought he played really good matchplay golf last three holes and play off.

Guest Ra1nmaker

Re: Mickelson I think the 9\4 (BlueSQ) for Ben Curtis to beat Phill is reasonable. I'll have 2pts on that. Also think Harrington should beat Estes (how did Verplank manage to throw it yesterday) 5pt bet 8\13 (BlueSQ)

Guest Yer Man

2nd third rounds Had a treble yesterday Harrington 4/6 Cink 4/6 Flesh 10/11 Went through all the cards could not find anyone playing brilliantly though so found two guys who were hitting a few birdies first round in Cink and Flesh. Fancied Harrington cause he got his game together on the back nine and think he will get better if he gets through more rounds. With all the rain the course really favours the long hitters Woods,Singh,Mickelson, Scott. Curtis is not only interesting for the Mickelson match but overall he is still 100/1 Paddy Power for tournament after first round. Apparently he had a sucessful amateur match play career and some Yank pundits think he could do well. As for me still none the wiser for a winner I wonder wether Bookies will post odds for the third round ? if they get through the second would be looking at the likes of fit/under played players like Woods Scott Clarke (lost weight) Harrington and Lonard for third round matches and be betting against the likes of Couples,Waldorf (back problems) Vijay ,Weir (tiredness) Loren Roberts (age) etc etc this will be my strategy for third round matches. Looking at Lonard 50/1 and Flesh 50/1 as lively outsiders and think Curtis is way overpriced at 100/1 even though he is up against Mickleson. This Tournament is turning into a lottery and I think Bookies are playing safe with the big names, just a feeling there could be a shock.