Hollywood Awards Season

Disclaimer: I haven't seen any of the nominated movies yet but have a general idea of what they are all about. Often, the awards are given on political factors more so than merit, so this may in some ways be of benefit. I will likely see most of the films anyway. Some major discrepancies between the Australian and UK markets at this time. Aus books have "The Hurt Locker" close in line with "Up in the Air" at 2.25-2.50 even though its available at 5s in the UK. Sportingbet Australia actually have Hurt Locker as a 2.25 favourite, which has pushed Up in the Air out to 2.50. I'll be taking his as it looks a good deal longer than what I see elsewhere. Hurt Locker was released eons ago and didn't really find an audience (It is, afterall, an Iraq war movie). Comparatively, Up in the Air has themes that represent the financial struggles of 2009 (It's about a corporate downsizer who finds his own job in jeopardy, comes to a realization etc.) and leads the way with 6 nominations. I might be wrong in this, but The Hurt Locker probably has more of a chance at the Oscars than the Globes (Seems more to the tastes of the Voting Academy than it does the HFPA?). It does have a female director (James Cameron's ex, no less), so that may play a key political role at some point in the season. Avatar is I think the darkhorse for the Globes. Maybe Cameron for Best Director? Up in the Air does, afterall, spend a lot of time on a plane and in hotel rooms. Like it's director's last movie, Juno, it's hard to see the directorial efforts being rewarded, regardless of the quality of the movie itself. Precious didn't even get a director nom, so you'd think that it's out of the running. Might be a strong shout for the actress categories though, especially given the intense nature of the roles. Nothing to say on Bastards. Personally can't stand anything Tarantino and haven't seen it. Was released a while ago which can't be helpful, though the Weinsteins do know how to run an awards campaign. On that note, Sportingbet have Christoph Waltz at 1.10 for best Supporting actor. Seriously, how? IIRC Heath Ledger was 1.20 for his role in TDK, and he was dead. From what I have read and researched, Stanley Tucci's character is a very dark, difficult one to portray (he plays a child rapist and killer in Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones). I tend to feel that the Australian books have misread the market more so than those in the UK. As such I've taken the following two on the premise that they are over the odds. For mine, Up in the Air is an even money proposition and Stanley Tucci should be somewhere around 5-6. Bets Best Picture (Drama) - Up in the Air @ 2.50 Sportingbet Australia Best Supporting Actor - Stanley Tucci @ 11.00 Sportingbet Australia

Re: Hollywood Awards Season 10/1 ON for Christoph Waltz? :eek I'm watching Inglourious Basterds right now. Waltz is very good at the sense of menace and he's absolutely hoovering up the various precusror awards. I'm kinda surprised that it's seemingly Woody Harrelson is perhaps his nearest competitor. SAG nominations were announced just under half-an-hour ago. http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=16729 Up in the Air at 6/4 against? Could look very big comie the time of the ceremony for the Golden Globese in January as that's winning quite a fair few awards as well. Very annoyed that Sportingbet UK doesn't have odds for the Golden Globes or the Oscars yet. :@

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.