Football betting formula

I'm getting some data together about loads of football matches and the odds etc. and I am trying to find any patterns in the data to form a strategy. I also want to create a formula to work out any teams probability of winning based on previous form and their oppnents so that I can compare this with the odds offered by bookies. Some sites do show what they think are value bets based on a similar probability theory. I want to know if any1 has any ideas of how to create this formula. I am good at maths but I am struggling to know where to start. I am also analysing some horse racing data to find any patterns but I think it will be general patterns rather than a formula as it obviously doesn't work the same as football. Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks

Re: Football betting formula Maybe if you post some examples of the data you want to be considered, it's hard to give you something based on this info. If I understand you correctly you want to take the home team data vs the away team data and produce percentages for the chance of winning, drawing and losing?

Re: Football betting formula Yeah, I'm looking to make a formula that calculates the probability of a team winning losing or drawing based on past results, home or away and the opposition but i'm finding it hard as I have to take into account who they've played, who they are playing and the form of the opposition. I think I have sorted out a formula for the probability of the number of goals using a poisson or normal distribution but if anyone has any tips or has tried this i would be grateful, thanks

Re: Football betting formula I have finishes sorting out a formula for Under/Over and although I think it may be used better as a guide I have picked out all bets that have come out as 50% more likely than the odds offered. I have also limited it to one bet per game as it seems daft to put your eggs in the same basket. There are more to come but here are the weekends picks for the premierleague:

MatchBet Odds
Arsenal V SpursO - 4.53.33
Bolton V ChelseaO - 3.52.10
Burnley V HullO - 3.52.50
Man.U V BlackburnO - 4.53.33
Also the odds are all from sportingbet so it may be possible to get better odds but for the moment that would take too long. I will try and post picks from all the top leagues today

Re: Football betting formula Sorry, didn't have time to post today's picks before, so here's the reults:

Watford V PrestonO - 3.52.30Lost-1.00-4.75
Blackburn V PortsmouthU - 4.50.14Won0.14-4.61
Man.C V BurnleyO - 4.53.70Won3.70-0.91
I only had time to look at Prem and championship so far but I'll try n do Serie A n some more for tomorrow. Good today today due to Man City and Burnley having a goalfest and these are genuine despite being posted late. Like I said I'm not putting money on yet so it didn't matter.