Stupid NH Question/s

Sorry guys, but some of these questions may seem a little stupid BUT I really want to attack the NH season this time from a more professional point of view so got a few novice questions hope someone can answer them ;) What is the point of NH Flat races? What can and cannot be entered into these races? And why at southwell do they run them on the AW???!! Also Novice races am I right in saying that horses can run in these events until they have won 3 if they wish to but get a penalty in the weights for each win?? Thankyou for your help! Chris

Re: Stupid NH Question/s

Sorry guys, but some of these questions may seem a little stupid BUT I really want to attack the NH season this time from a more professional point of view so got a few novice questions hope someone can answer them ;) What is the point of NH Flat races? What can and cannot be entered into these races? And why at southwell do they run them on the AW???!! Also Novice races am I right in saying that horses can run in these events until they have won 3 if they wish to but get a penalty in the weights for each win?? Thankyou for your help! Chris
I always thought that NH flat races just gave trainers an opportunity to run their horses over two miles to see if they truly stayed it in a real life race, as opportunities around that distance on the flat are really sparse. I suppose it is teaching them to walk before they can run, before then then step them up into hurdles races and a few years later, chases and also step them up in distance if necessary. The reason NH flat races are called bumpers, I read (think it was in the Punters Friend by Jack Waterman), is that in the past the jockeys that rode them were typically apprentices, who "bump" up and down in the saddle as they learn their technique and improve their aesthetics. Nowadays all of the big guns tend to ride in bumpers too though. :ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.