Betfair $18K Strategy

happyhornet

Team Kent and AOC, as you know, are going to be playing these tournaments this month. On a personal level, this will be well above my normal bankroll and there is the added pressure of playing for a team (and indeed a forum as John's half will be put back into PL promotions) so I want to be as prepared as possible. I know quite a few of you have played this tournament with great success, so my questions are: what is the standard like? Should I play my normal game or tighten up? Any advice would be appreciated Steve

Re: Betfair $18K Strategy

Team Kent and AOC, as you know, are going to be playing these tournaments this month. On a personal level, this will be well above my normal bankroll and there is the added pressure of playing for a team (and indeed a forum as John's half will be put back into PL promotions) so I want to be as prepared as possible. I know quite a few of you have played this tournament with great success, so my questions are: what is the standard like? Should I play my normal game or tighten up? Any advice would be appreciated Steve
Not played this before Steve, but I did Sat into Annette 15's $110 (?) tourney on Betfair a few months or so ago, and I thought - as you say above, that I'd need to play a different game, and I'd need to be aggressive and they'd be 3 Betting with air most of the time. Ended up out early and never felt comfortable - my attitude towards(my own) poker has changed for the better since then, and now I look at it from the Point of View that no-one playing is better than I can be.:) (It may sound a little arrogant, but that comes with trying to have a positive mindset). So now I intend to play the way I currently play - if I play my 'A' game then only fate can beat me, none of the other players will. But to play my 'A' game will be down to me which means - not playing tired, not playing drunk, not multi tasking etc etc. Adapt to the players on your tables, and with them being Deepstacked tourneys the 'Fate Factor' should be minimalised a little bit more. Don't worry about the opposition, let them worry about you.:D (Mindset change courtesy of 'Elements of Poker' by Tommy D'Angelo .... if you can get a copy give it a read :ok)

Re: Betfair $18K Strategy

Not played this before Steve, but I did Sat into Annette 15's $110 (?) tourney on Betfair a few months or so ago, and I thought - as you say above, that I'd need to play a different game, and I'd need to be aggressive and they'd be 3 Betting with air most of the time. Ended up out early and never felt comfortable - my attitude towards(my own) poker has changed for the better since then, and now I look at it from the Point of View that no-one playing is better than I can be.:) (It may sound a little arrogant, but that comes with trying to have a positive mindset). So now I intend to play the way I currently play - if I play my 'A' game then only fate can beat me, none of the other players will. But to play my 'A' game will be down to me which means - not playing tired, not playing drunk, not multi tasking etc etc. Adapt to the players on your tables, and with them being Deepstacked tourneys the 'Fate Factor' should be minimalised a little bit more. Don't worry about the opposition, let them worry about you.:D (Mindset change courtesy of 'Elements of Poker' by Tommy D'Angelo .... if you can get a copy give it a read :ok)
good post martyn:clap This is the same mindset as i try to go into tourneys with too,that with a bit of luck and some good play by me there's no reason why i shouldn't cash/win, no matter what tourney it is. okay the opposition might be better in general at higher levels ,but there will still be some easy money and the good players are not that much better than good players at lower levels. a lot of the time the buyin fazes people (it has with me sometimes) and the fear of losing makes you play scared. really the only time you should be worried about the buyin is when you buy in;) if you cant afford it then its obviously a bad idea :tongue2 but if you dont need to buyin(like you won your seat :)) then your freerolling and you can't lose. so look at it like any other tourney you would play,do whatever seems best with the cards dealt and the opposition against you but at no point should you need to worry about how much everyone else had to buy in for:ok.

Re: Betfair $18K Strategy Pick your spots carefully, your bluffing/stealing spots I mean. A lot of mug money in this tourn due to the multiple sat winners. I only started playing this a while back, I used to ignore it as I thought it was poor value and a crapshoot/minefield. I changed my opening strategy and have now changed my opinion - it's a decent tourn, definitely profitable if approached right. I'm pretty rocky in the early levels, I will still try and buy a pot but try not to do anything too fancy or subtle - it won't work. I've had some decent cashes but never won it. :ok

Re: Betfair $18K Strategy Ignore what the buy-in is as well, as you will need a clear head and dont want to put yourself under pressure from the off worrying about the value of the game and that you are playing for your team. As BTP said pick your spots carefully, there are quite a few lag players on here that will call you down with air. Might be worth watching a few games also as you will pretty much see the regulars on there playing and would be useful to for you to take notes on them before you actually play your game. Best of luck :ok