This was so lucky......or not

Thought I'd start a (hopefully) fun new thread guys! I thought it'd be great to hear about everyone's most lucky & unlucky (or best & worst) bet or day over the years. There must be some really good stories out there, so come on guys! I'll start us off...... Lucky blighter! Uttoxeter 16th March 1991, Midlands Grand National day. Race 3 was a Novice Chase and I'm on my nap of the year, an animal called File Concord to a fair chunk of cash at around 2-1. Anyway, it's in third about 1/2 a mile behind the second, who's in turn a fence behind the leader approaching the second last. I'm up in the stands, soaking wet, barely able to speak to my Dad and wondering why I ever put so much on such a short priced animal in bog like conditions. "Well", my old man says, "we just need these two to fall now and we've landed a right touch!". And as if by magic, down comes the clear leader at the 2nd last, quickly followed by the second at the same fence to leave our animal to trot home. Magic! Always said it was a cert! :nana I don't beleive it! 2003 and I've had a great start to the flat season culminating with Russian Rhythm landing the 1000 Guineas for me at an amazing 12-1 having been 3-1 fav all over the winter. That's it I decide, it's time to stop pussy footing around. It's time to increase the stakes big time and make some real money. I know, I know...... Next 15 bets lose followed by a winner at 11-8 and 14 more losers. All profits have now gone and been replaced with a rather large hole in the betting bank. :puke Ok, I give in. Back to normal stakes and you've guessed it, a winner at 8-1 the very next bet. Don't you just hate this game sometimes! Over to you guys....... K

Re: This was so lucky......or not We always seem to get variations of these threads from time to time but I always enjoy reading them. My lucky blighter has to be Hallings Overture. I first backed him at part of a 400/1 double with Rowe Park at Lingfield in 2006 so only followed him in subsequent runs because of a soft spot from that day. In August last year he was running on the all-weather at Great Leighs, in a tightly knit handicap in which 4 lbs or something seperated the field. I needed some points for BBOTD so backed him to win only (this was before the supernap came into play) and he won at 28/1. It wasn't so much that he was lucky in running - he won with authority by over 3 lengths - it was just that he is an extremely inconsistent horse that has done nothing since and has won only 3 times in a 34 race career so perhaps I have been lucky to catch him right twice now! :D Maybe I'll be able to pick him up out of a AW claimer for a few grand in the future if I hit the jackpot and magically come into some money!!!! My I don't believe it moment came in the 2,000 Guineas this year. I don't know why I started a thread for the Guineas as handicaps are what interests me, but I did start the thread for that race for some reason and started to research the trends, picking out three from what was a large field before the final decs had been made. Gan Amhras was the one I ultimately sided with as my main bet, and with Arazan not making it past the final decs the other one on that final shortlist was Sea The Stars (18/1 at the time). I ended up putting Gan Amhras in my ten to follow and backing that with the vast majority of my stake and had Sea The Stars as saver. Little did I know at the time that the saver would go on to be the most successful horse of the season and the star attraction of the flat season. :$

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.