Come Racing?

Do me a favour. This is an old debate on here but now, more than ever, there seems to be little value on-course. I'll ignore the fact that it can be hard to get on - that is just part and parcel of the game. At the big meetings that it's rarely a problem anyway due to numbers/turnover. I'll even ignore the stories I keep hearing about E/W terms in maidens. 1/6, 1/7, 1/10 the odds 1-2-3. With a short fav I can even understand some chalking up under those terms - after all try and have more than £50 E/W the 2nd fav (with the jolly odds on) in a maiden in your local Laddies shop and see how far you get. However at Goodwood yesterday it went to a whole new level. Around half the firms were betting 1/5 the odds 1-2-3-4 in the big 16 runner+ handicaps. I noticed this at Goodwood earlier in the year but it was only one or two firms and to be fair they were over the odds on the typical E/W horses - fair enough. I noticed it a bit at Ascot last Saturday too. But not to the level I saw yesterday. Around half, like I say, including some on the rails and most of the front row were betting to these terms, and they weren't even going bigger than the 1/4 firms. It's just a way to con the uneducated punter you get at the big meetings. They should be ashamed of themselves. Has the punter's pal (:eyes) Big Mac brought this up? This type of bookmaker dragging the trade down - they are gutless thieves. Even Dick Turpin wore a mask.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.