Serious questions from Me

kevsul

Ok Guys, I used to love the poker, and always tried to participate in any tourneys we had, also all focus games, Still play occasionally, and starting to enjoy again. I have read many threads but to save trawling through them all again, as I am sure the answers are there. SteveO had to tell me last year what a cold deck meant. YES I did not know. I don't use poker tracker, Would you say it should now be part of your game plan/play? What do you mean by M and V? (Seriously I don't know) I have only played via my own instincts, thats probably why I have not made decent profits from poker, I have done reasonably well again over last few weeks, and now looking on getting back into the tourney play. I remember playing in the live game at Barries with the PL crew, and folded 10-10 to a raise and a reraise, something I would not have done before,at least a call to hope and hit the set. In 3 recent tourneys now I find myself wanting to go deep, and folding PP's AQ AJ even folding QQ and JJ, this is when Blinds are going to hurt your stack unless you push. Made the money on all plays so far :ok But really enjoying the game again now.

Re: Serious questions from Me "M" is a term mentioned by Dan Harrington in his books on tournament poker ("Harrington on Holdem", volume I and II). M describes how many more orbits around the table you will survive with your current chip stack. Example: If the blinds are 100/200 and you have a stack of 6000, your M is 6000/300 = 20. If antes are involved then they have to be counted for as well. Blinds 100/200 and ante of 25, with 8 players on the table, means you will pay 25x8 + 100 + 200 = 500 for each orbit. So now your M is only 6000/500 = 12. The M figure is crucial to know at all times during a tourney. There are much more about this to learn, such as "effective M", inflection points, the zone strategy, how you adjust your play to other players M and so on. The books mentioned are neccessary and great reading, and imo, anyone playing without having read them is playing at a serious disadvantage.

Re: Serious questions from Me

Ok Guys, I used to love the poker, and always tried to participate in any tourneys we had, also all focus games, Still play occasionally, and starting to enjoy again. I have read many threads but to save trawling through them all again, as I am sure the answers are there. SteveO had to tell me last year what a cold deck meant. YES I did not know. I don't use poker tracker, Would you say it should now be part of your game plan/play? What do you mean by M and V? (Seriously I don't know) I have only played via my own instincts, thats probably why I have not made decent profits from poker, I have done reasonably well again over last few weeks, and now looking on getting back into the tourney play. I remember playing in the live game at Barries with the PL crew, and folded 10-10 to a raise and a reraise, something I would not have done before,at least a call to hope and hit the set. In 3 recent tourneys now I find myself wanting to go deep, and folding PP's AQ AJ even folding QQ and JJ, this is when Blinds are going to hurt your stack unless you push. Made the money on all plays so far :ok But really enjoying the game again now.
okay kev here goes. first off poker tracker:ok it's an excellent tool but i think it depends on your game as to how beneficial it is while your actually playing. i found i actually started to play worse using the hud (head up display)than i did without it:unsure think i was paying less attention to my opponents play and reading too much into what the tracker was telling me,so maybe better for players that struggle with attention span etc or those who struggle to get decent reads off other players. however i found the table tracker/database info is worth the money easily:ok bit technical for an pc idiot like me :$but once you get the hang of it its brill. its easy to pick up leaks in your game from the database info based on hand selection and position etc etc and the table tracker helps find the fishiest fish;) your M is the size of your stack based on the no of orbits. so if its 100/200 with no antes then its 300 chips per orbit. say you have a 3000 stack then your M is 10 :ok usually somewhere around 10 is the point where it becomes more prudent to just stick your chips in, insead of simply raising 3xbb . this is because pot odds should lead you to call in most situations anyway . V could mean any number of things really :unsure like in vpip it's volentarily. maybe you mean EV:unsure simplified +ev is an action that over time will make profit ,-ev is an action that makes a loss. hope this helps mate:ok

Re: Serious questions from Me Cheers Benn, That certainly does help, and yes I did mean EV :ok So poker tracker is good to run and learn from it, but distracts slightly when playing, I think It might be useful in the back ground for me then, as like you I make notes on players when playing. And now I finally understand the meaning of M, I like the idea of how you show it as well, Gives me a much better understanding, as to why and when people push, as i could be folding AQ to a weak Ace kicker for someone with just slightly less chips, it then depends on the cards.

"M" is a term mentioned by Dan Harrington in his books on tournament poker ("Harrington on Holdem", volume I and II). M describes how many more orbits around the table you will survive with your current chip stack. Example: If the blinds are 100/200 and you have a stack of 6000, your M is 6000/300 = 20. If antes are involved then they have to be counted for as well. Blinds 100/200 and ante of 25, with 8 players on the table, means you will pay 25x8 + 100 + 200 = 500 for each orbit. So now your M is only 6000/500 = 12. The M figure is crucial to know at all times during a tourney. There are much more about this to learn, such as "effective M", inflection points, the zone strategy, how you adjust your play to other players M and so on. The books mentioned are neccessary and great reading, and imo, anyone playing without having read them is playing at a serious disadvantage.
Nicely put HLV, Have to have a look out for the books:ok

And now I finally understand the meaning of M, I like the idea of how you show it as well, Gives me a much better understanding, as to why and when people push, as i could be folding AQ to a weak Ace kicker for someone with just slightly less chips, it then depends on the cards.
yeah you would expect that a players range should gradually get wider the lower their M ,so if a player in late position with a low M pushes i would struggle not to call with aq(unless he was ultra tight;)) if i go below an M of 5 or 6 i could be pushing with pretty much any two cards from late position:loon of course other stuff like tourney position/payouts will have a little effect on my judgement as well but in general its a good basic set of rules to follow. HLV is right ,best thing to do is read harrington to get the full picture:ok

Re: Serious questions from Me Cheers again Benn, Lets see how this now improves my game, As been in situations like this before, raising 3 or 4xBB with say 88 or 99 and another reraises with another going allin, this should be pretty much a shove and hope to hit, and :hope that they only have 2 over cards