Quick math question ...

Let's say I have calculated that there will be 3.4 goals scored in a game. Is there a formula that will tell me how often the game will go over 2.5? So 3 goals or more ... I thought I found what I was looking for here but in the rules it says "the event needs to occur one at a time (so the number of points scored in an basketball game couldn't be Poisson)"

Re: Quick math question ... to do this in Excel you need to use the Poisson function, with X=2.5, mean=3.4, and cumulative = TRUE. this gives you the probability of obtaining a result less than or equal to 2.5, so you need to substract this probability from 1: i.e. 1 - Poisson(2.5,3.4, TRUE) Hope that helps!

Re: Quick math question ... Is the poisson function the right formula for this? According to my link it wouldn't work for basketball totals ... I was assuming the same would be true for football totals ... "the event needs to occur one at a time (so the number of points scored in an basketball game couldn't be Poisson)"

Re: Quick math question ...

Is the poisson function the right formula for this? According to my link it wouldn't work for basketball totals ... I was assuming the same would be true for football totals ... "the event needs to occur one at a time (so the number of points scored in an basketball game couldn't be Poisson)"
Poisson is fine. The reason it doesn't work for basketball is because in that game when a basket is scored either 2 or 3 points is gaines, not 1.