Newbury - Saturday 18th

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 14:05 - 66966.GIF Centennial 10pts win @ 5.00 Ladbrokes This horse caught my eye at Goodwood last year in a group 2, I liked the 2nd Top Lock in that race but Centennial made all and stayed on very strongly to eventually win by 1½, that was over 1m 4f which is the trip today. John Gosden's stable have started there season well having 14 winners already and Centennial could be another to go in for them here. 14:35 - 4794.GIF Benandonner 3pts e/w @ 17.00 Bet365 (bog) I have backed Benandonner on his last two starts, I wrote this last week: I backed this horse e/w in the Lincoln and I wouldn't say he ran a bad race finishing 11th of 20 but he was never really in it. He was quite well supported in the market, he has some good all-weather form towards the start of his career, stable looks to be in good nick and started off there season well, he has a fair e/w chance again here in my eyes. He ran a very good race finishing 2nd, I actually thought he had the race in the bag at one stage but the winner came up the rails to snatch it, back over a mile here where he is a distance winner and ill take him to well again .

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 2.35 Newbury<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A really strong looking handicap here and the trio that interest me most are <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Manassas, CharmSchool and Mawatheeq. I backed Manassas in the Spring Mile and thought he got the job done well, staying on strongly in the closing stages and holding off the pack. The son of CapeCross has had problems in the past but that run showed he is back to his best and he could grow into a decent horse this year. He contested a Group 1 race as a two year old and even after a 5 lb rise I think he has more to offer after only five starts. CharmSchool ran a strange little race as the field split into three in the Lincoln; he was one of a handful that raced towards the centre of the track, and in fairness, seems to have had the draw against him with the benefit of hindsight. He stayed on in the closing stages and probably has more to offer in handicaps. Mawatheeq made a superb impression when routing the field in an Ascot handicap in September. He faces stronger opposition here and races off a 17 lb higher mark, but was last seen in a a Group 3 at Newmarket when behind Charlie Farnsbarns and as a result will find this company easier, although he doesn’t have a benefit of a recent run like the other pair.

Suggested bets:

Manassas- 11/1 Paddypower, 3 pt CharmSchool – 17/2 Hills, 1.5 pt Mawatheeq – 18/1 Bet 365, 0.5 pt

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 2:35 Newbury: Jaser 2pts e/w 14/1 Blue Square & Cobo Bay 1pt e/w 40/1 Bet365 (Bog) Jaser; he won twice in the spring last year on soft ground, then peformed less well on firmer going through the summer, but signed off with a respectable second to Expresso Star at Nottingham last October. Back two furlongs in trip here and with Ryan Moore (who has an excellent one in four strike rate for Peter Chapple-Hyam) doing the steering - he should go well. Cobo Boy, could well make an effort to slip the field and has Darryll Holland on board who is an excellent judge of pace and has a two from three partnership record. Goes well on softer going which is not the case for a number of the shorter priced runners.

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th Grrrrrrr I've spent hours and hours on the 2.35, trends, studying the last 10 renewals, studying the form etc, etc........ I end up with a short list of 6...........look at the RP and I have the 6 forecast favourites ........:loon I've whittled 'em down to 3....... Huzzah Zaahid Mia's Boy As it happens, these were all on my short list for the Lincoln and all finished fairly close up, 2nd, 4th and 5th...........I think all them will be better for some cut in the ground, Barry Hills has Huzzah and Zaahid and he's flying at the moment. I reckon Mia's Boy could be a bit of value because the trainer is relatively unfashionable compared to Hills, Gosden, Cecil, who have the other favourites. Of the other fancied ones...... Charm School is on a bit of a losing run and you wonder if his potential has been over-rated. He's lost 5 times since his debut win. Manassas - 2 runs on 'Good to Soft' finished last and next to last. Has to be a doubt as to wether he handles it Jaser - nothing wrong with him, just don't like the number 1 draw for a mainly hold-up horse in a big field. So..........I'll take my 3 against the field !

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 15:45 - 5106.GIF Finjaan TBP @ evs bluesq 3rd in the Dewhurst stakes last year looks like very good form, that was over the 7f at Newmarket which is the trip here, Richard Hills has had 27 runs this year with a massive 19 of his mounts being placed. Should go fairly close here and at evens to place, he looks a solid bet.

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 2.35 - Newbury - CHARM SCHOOL Was far from disgraced when last seen in the Lincoln, the draw going somewhat against him as he got stuck in the 'losing' group. With the rain that has been around Newbury, with the going now officially 'soft', he will appreciate the underfoot conditions, and should go very close. This is clearly very competitive however, and he will need some luck in running. The main danger may come from Mia's Boy. Although he is carrying plenty of weight, he will also relishg the going, and after finishing well in the Lincoln he has to be respected.

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 3.45 - Newbury - CITYSCAPE Looked promising last year, having wiped the floor with the opposition in a novice heat at Salisbury, it is however, slightly unclear as to what exactly he beat that day however. Following that a promising run in the Royal Lodge saw only Jukebox Jury beat him. This form has been clearly upheld, with Jukebox Jury going on to finish second behind Crowded House. The ground is likely to be OK for him today, and if he has wintered well and trained on then he could well stake a claim for the 2000 Guineas, for which he is 25/1.

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 4.50 - Newbury - SQUADRON Alan King send him back to the flat, and under Ryan Moore he must have an excellent chance of getting up ahead of the rest of the field here. Looking to exploit a far lower handicap mark on the flat than he has over hurdles. Has proved in the past the he goes on soft going, and with Ryan Moore taking his first ride for Alan King he is very much of interest today.

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 5.20 Angel Rock EW @8.00 Paddypower Marco Botti stable is in fine form having recorded 3 winners / 3 x 2nds out of his last 14 runners! Looking at this horse it has a huge mention on the stable tour on the At The Races website: Marco Botti Stable Tour 06 Apr 2009 ANGEL ROCK 4 b c Rock Of Gibraltar - Nomothetis. Won three of six starts last season from a mile to ten furlongs, starting off 81 and ending victorious over a mile on heavy at Nottingham off 80 and now 83. "Nice, progressive horse that won well at Nottingham. I think he is better than 83 but he must have soft ground and although he has won over a mile he needs a mile and a quarter." Today at Newbury it is soft going and the race it contests is over 1m 1/4 which is pretty much what Botti thinks it will excel at! :ok

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th 1.30 Border Patrol 5/2 bet3 bog 10 pts This one made quite an eyecatching debut last season behind palavicini and also lasso the moon last season. He finished pretty well that day and did best of those with a high draw so it might have been an even more promising performance than first thought. He has often been held in some regard and whilst this even softer ground is a bit of an unknown today Selkirk’s can go on it. Trainer could be in better winning form but some of his are not running too badly and this one can go close today. 2.05 Tastahil 9/2 bluesq 10 pts There should be a fair gallop on today and that could help this one. He had loads of good efforts last season, often running into well handicapped horses and stepped up on that this season to get off the mark and now he deserves a crack at this higher level. The ground really should suit as he has numerous fine efforts on softer ground and with the trainers excellent current form, this has to be respected. 2.35 Charm School 8/1 lad 5 pts e.w Feel this one could return to form today on this ground. He looked a fine prospect on soft ground after winning his maiden and at that stage had a st james’ palace entry so clearly was well thought of. After that has been a bit in and out but has had the odd effort, behind General Elliot and noticeably at the end of the last season when he was offered softer ground and finished a slightly unlucky third. His Lincoln run was ok but I do believe this horse is such a better horse with some cut and that could be the key today. 3.10 Maoieach 11/4 sj bog 10 pts Bolger has done so well with his raids to eng in the last couple of years and he could have another nice prospect here. This one appreciated soft ground to win on her debut in a listed contest which was some effort and whilst she found things too tough afterwards, she bounced back encouragingly lto, proving her race fitness to be one of o’briens in a guineas trial in ire. She is on softer ground today but that should be fine as she can go well. 5.20 Foolin Myself 11/4 boy bog 10 pts A fascinating runner for the first time in a handicap off 85. After a promising fifth in a maiden, he stepped up to win a maiden and beat a horse called Tartan Bearer no less who of course went onto win a dante and be second in a derby. Clearly that day this ones win was pretty good and whilst he has had some troubles afterwards, he is still felt in some regard as he has some very high profile entries and he could be fairly treated in a handicap. He has changed yards since and may not be 100% today but I do feel he is one to keep an eye on this season and could have a class edge.

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th Newbury 2.05 I whittled the field down to 4 and the 4 are the first 4 in the betting. I don't think the fav is that far clear of the rest to represent such a short price and feel there is no value under 2's on that one. It will possibly front run and be taken on by Centennial, the latter used these tactics well at Goodwood but they might set the race up for Scintillo, a horse in form, albeit on all weather surfaces but the blinkers are left off, the horse and jockey are in form and hard to oppose at the price. I like progressive horses, Tastahil fits the bill and Hills horses can't be ignored in current form, possibly needs slight improvement but capable of doing so. I've dutched these 3 horses. Suggested Bets: 6pts WIN Centennial 9-2 6pts WIN Tastahil 9-2 3pts WIN Scintillo 10-1 All odds are BlueSquare

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th well as normal in the Spring cup mid to high draws are favoured with 1st 3 home being all high 20, 19 & 24. Good prices too. I backed Fanjura as my main bet being ut of stall 15 it ran down the centre for 2 furlongs & then merged in, it actualy ran on & dettori got a good tune out of it. I actually thought it had got 4th but must have been a shd 5th. Good news when i remember Paddys were doing 5th place for a return!

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th in the 3.10 i would also favour the higher draws The front 2 in the market are both drawn high in 12 & 14 & no doubt the pace will be in that group also At big prices, Infamous Angel & Yorksters girl must fill one of the places. Sariska & Maoineach both to win places on those other 2.

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th

in the 3.10 i would also favour the higher draws The front 2 in the market are both drawn high in 12 & 14 & no doubt the pace will be in that group also At big prices, Infamous Angel & Yorksters girl must fill one of the places. Sariska & Maoineach both to win places on those other 2.
doh! 1st 2 drawn 4&5:(

Re: Newbury - Saturday 18th ARABIAN FLAME 4.15 Newbury. 1 point win. Has the experience of a couple of runs and that can be a big advantage in context with this race. Hard to know what ability most others possess, but we have enough form to suggest they need to be half decent and with us open to improve also, and at a decent enough price, we look the bet.