Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1

Yh they could of easily ended up all out for a lot less than that. Kev I backed Durham at 4/11 with Ladbrokes - that is DNB I presume as they didn't quote a draw price? Thanks again
Yep it's DNB mate. All county championship matches are DNB with UK bookmakers unless a game is on TV when some stick the draw in too. Don't think the draw is in play here. Think there will be a result either way mate.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Nice work last week Tom.

Tuesday 7 July 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifWarwickshire v Sussex (11:00 BST)2.11.9100.00 %
Friday 10 July 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifLancashire v Worcestershire (11:00 BST)1.443102.56 %
maximize.gifSomerset v Hampshire (11:00 BST)1.612.2107.36 %
maximize.gifYorkshire v Durham (11:00 BST)2.51.53105.22 %
Draws continue to frustrate me but I'm going with 1 today. 3pts Warwickshire to beat Sussex (DNB) 11/10 Totesport 8th host 7th in this basement battle here at Edgbaston. The Bears are looking for their 1st win back in the top flight while Sussex are hoping to pick up their 4 day form having beaten only Worcestershire so far. Both sides are enjoying success in the one day forms of the game with Sussex having a Friends Provident final to look forward to. Warwickshire's batting has been fine this season. Jon Trott is in good nick as is Jim Troughton and Ian Bell has a point to prove and he is due to play in this game. Tim Ambrose needs a few runs under his belt but we know he's got them in his locker. It's the bowling which has really struggled so far, taking just 8pts from their 5 games so far. That's a surprise as Chris Woakes looks a very good talent and Neil Carter is still a good county pro. Perhaps the return of Rikki Clarke will help although the loss of Patel isn't a help. Sussex have named a strong side. They are obviously without Matt Prior who is with England but they are at full strength other than that. Murray Goodwin and Ed Joyce are in good touch with the bat and Kirtley and Arafat are going well with the ball. Luke Wright and Dwayne Smith can score quickly as well which could help the Sharks should rain come into play. Warwickshire's bowling attack took a few England wickets last week so they should be pepped up a bit more and if they can hit their straps I think they can win this. Sussex are still recovering from losing Mushtaq Ahmed in 4 day cricket although they have good pedigree in the longer format of the game. However they could have one eye on Lords and with the Bears bowling attack too good to keep misfiring I'll take them to pick up their 1st win of the season in this one.

Friday 10 July 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifLancashire v Worcestershire (11:00 BST)1.53100.00 %
maximize.gifSomerset v Hampshire (11:00 BST)1.82.24100.20 %
maximize.gifYorkshire v Durham (11:00 BST)2.621.54103.03 %
There's one I'm looking at in both divisions this weekend but I want a detailed weather forecast for Saturday first so I'll come back in the morning with bets if I decide to play.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 The weather a clear potential problem again this week but I’m fed up with liking ones this season, leaving them when looking at the weather and then seeing them win. One in this division: Worcestershire to beat Lancashire 2/1 tote (DNB) 10 pts Going for a bit of an upset here. Worcester have historically struggled to find wins in div 1 and this season has been no different so far. However I felt there was more promise in their effort against Durham last week. They caused the Durham batsmen problems in that match and arguably it was the key batsmen that they missed that cost them that day. Today they have Solanki, Moore and Davies returning and suddenly look much more solid. Also in Lancashire they play a side struggling a bit now after a good start. Their batting always has a suspicion of being vulnerable in particular given that Horton and Du Plessis have poor current f/c stats this season and overall I think Worcester could surprise here.

Wednesday 15 July 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifNottinghamshire v Durham (11:00 BST)1.832104.55 %
maximize.gifSussex v Hampshire (11:00 BST)1.92.1100.00 %
maximize.gifWarwickshire v Lancashire (11:00 BST)2.221.72102.94 %
Think we're going to have to dodge the rain again this week but last week showed we can get some 3 day results so I'll give it a go. 3 for me in Div 1 this week. 3pts Nottinghamshire to beat Durham (DNB) 5/6 Bet365 The two remaining unbeaten sides in Division 1 lock horns at Trent Bridge this week in what many are predicting to be a clash of the top 2 come the end of the season. Nottinghamshire are currently 3rd and defending champions Durham are top of the table coming into this match but Nottinghamshire have played 2 games less than Durham. Nottinghamshire will obviously be without England duo Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann but Ryan Sidebottom is available to play which is a big boost. David Hussey continues the overseas spot with Adam Voges still away while Samit Patel. Mark Wagh and England's 12th man last week Bilal Shafayat make up a strong looking batting lineup. Durham have been hit by the England call up's to Steve Harmison and Graham Onions. Although they are rich in seam options it's still a big blow, especially given Harmison's recent form. I still feel Durham are a batsman light at least and gaining only just over half their possible batting bonus points confirms that. Dale Benkenstein has been the form man with Ian Blackwell going ok but the top 3 haven't contributed consistent runs. Both sides have been hit with England call up's but I think the conditions at Trent Bridge will suit the Outlaws much more than the Dynamo bowlers. Notts are better with the bat at the minute. And with that in mind I'll take Notts here. 3pts Sussex to beat Hampshire (DNB) 10/11 Boylesports This is a dress rehearsal for the upcoming Friends Provident Trophy final at Lords next week although perhaps the Pro40 game between these two will offer a better form guide. Only 1pt seperates these two sides in the table so there's all to play for in this match as well as at Lord's next weekend. Sussex are at full strength apart from the obvious exception of Matt Prior who is with England. They have a very strong batting lineup on paper and their bowling attack isn't the worst either, particularly in 4 day cricket when Corey Collymore comes into the side. Ed Joyce is in terrific form with the bat and Murray Goodwin is always the key wicket for any Sussex opposition. Hampshire have a couple of injuries coming into this match. Nic Pothas, not only key behind the stumps but one of Hampshire's best 4 day batsmen is out so Tim Burrows replaces him. Dominic Cork comes in for Chris Tremlett. John Crawley continues while Sean Ervine is beginning to come back into some 4 day form. Imran Tahir will be key if this pitch starts to turn. Sussex are a real tough side to beat and while I think Hampshire will be very competitive in the 2 one day matches which are coming up, their batsmen aren't clicking in 4 day cricket at the minute which makes losing Pothas a bigger blow. Sussex are solid, going along nicely at the minute and so I'll take them to win this South derby. 3pts Warwickshire 1st Inns Lead vs Lancashire 11/10 Stan James I nearly backed Warwickshire to win this match but I won't bother because Edgbaston looked like a swimming pool last night. However I do think they'll win the 1st innings. As I mentioned last week, Warwickshire are spot on with the bat at the minute, claiming 27 bonus points out of a possible 30 in contrast to Lancashire's 10 from a possible 40. That in itself goes to show a gulf in abilities in the batting but with Lancashire shot out for less than 150 in the 1st innings last week I like the Bears to be leading at half time here on their own patch.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Small win last week after Warwickshire won the 1st innings against Lancashire. Notts were routed though and Sussex drew. -5.36 for the division now.

Tuesday 21 July 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifHampshire v Warwickshire (10:45 BST)1.762.22101.86 %
maximize.gifWorcestershire v Somerset (11:00 BST)2.51.62101.73 %
maximize.gifYorkshire v Nottinghamshire (11:00 BST)2.341.67102.62 %
Only 1 for me this week and it's only a 1st inns bet due to the weather. 3pts Warwickshire 1st Inns Lead vs Hampshire Evs Bet365 Warwickshire have been going brilliantly with the bat this season. Only once in their 7 matches have they not passed 400 in the 1st innings and on a few of the 6 occasions they've got 600+. Hampshire have nothing like that sort of record with the bat. In fact they struggle to make 300 let alone 400 and their chances of runs are done no good in this match with Nic Pothas ruled out with a groin strain. Ian Bell plays for England and he'll slip alongside the prolific Jon Trott. The Warwickshire bowlers showed a lot more spirit last week and against a weak Hawks batting lineup who could have one eye on their big day on Saturday, I'll take the Bears to lead at half time.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 If only Hampshire had batted as well today as they did last week. 470 odd wasn't enough for Warwickshire as we hit 500 for the 1st time in a long time :eyes. -3 for last week and -8.36 for the division now.

Friday 31 July 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifDurham v Sussex (11:00 BST)1.582.62101.39 %
maximize.gifLancashire v Yorkshire (11:00 BST)1.62.37104.61 %
maximize.gifSomerset v Nottinghamshire (11:00 BST)1.92.1299.80 %
maximize.gifWorcestershire v Warwickshire (11:00 BST)2.11.9100.00 %
I'm going with 2 this week. 3pts Nottinghamshire to beat Somerset (DNB) Evs Bet365 As it stands it looks like these two sides are playing for the runners up spot in behind Durham but they are two good sides in their own right. I quite like taking on Somerset in the DNB market because I never see them taking 20 wickets against a side like Notts. Credit to the Sabres, they are having a great season but some of their wins are a little fortunate such as chasing down 470 odd against Yorkshire. They are one off chases. Notts are going along ok but will want to bounce back from their innings defeat to Durham. Somerset will be at full strength for the game which means their heavy batting lineup will once again be on display. Trescothick and Langer have been in great nick recently while Hildreth and de Bruyn have bags of runs in them. Their bowlers showed they can hit an unguarded set of stumps this week but taking 20 wickets is a different story. Alfonso Thomas and Charl Willoughby will lead the attack. Nottinghamshire will have Ryan Sidebottom in their side which is a boost for them. David Hussey's stint as overseas player has ended and Adam Voges comes back into the side. They will be without Mark Wagh who is injured and while that's a bit of a blow, the likes of Voges, Read, Patel and even Ali Brown can make up a good middle order. Scott Newman makes his debut at the top of the innings. Somerset will have had to travel down to Taunton the day before this match having been kept in Manchester for 3 days. Nottinghamshire have already beaten Somerset in this competition this season and with their bowling attack being much the stronger I'll take them to win this one as well. 5pts Warwickshire to beat Worcestershire (DNB) 10/11 Stan James Bottom placed Worcestershire play host to 7th placed local rivals Warwickshire at New Road with both sides looking for their 1st win of the season. Warwickshire have been playing the better cricket though but they've just not been able to finish the job off. Worcestershire are getting cut adrift at the bottom and aren't being helped by injuries. Worcestershire will be without probably their 3 best bowlers in Kabir Ali, Ashley Noffke and Gareth Batty. That's a lot of wickets gone from their side and although Matt Mason is in good form, the likes of Imran Arif could be cannon fodder. Chris Whelan also misses out with injury. Alex Kervezee comes into the squad but this Royals bowling attack looks really weak. Warwickshire will be without Ian Bell who is with England but they are due to have Sre Sreesanth in as overseas player. He'll boost their bowling which needs a cutting edge despite containing plenty of talent. With the bat they have been in great touch all summer and Jon Trott really can't be far away from an England recall. Warwickshire are much the stronger side on paper and if they can get stuck in with the ball they've got plenty of batting to take advantage of Worcestershire's weak bowling lineup. I'm not sure how much play we'll get in with the drainage issues at New Road but if we do get plenty of play I expect Warwickshire to win the game.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Should be a profitable day tomorrow with Worcestershire following on and only being 8 ahead with 6 wickets down. If we can get half a day's play in there Warwickshire will win that. Somerset/Notts looks like a draw after Notts were struggling at one stage but once they avoided the follow on the draw was always the most likely.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Going to be a long last 6 matches for your lot mate. Injuries ain't helping but you could struggle like fcuk next year with the potential exodus of players in the close season. Batty, Moore, Davies and Whelan and the likelihood of no Noffke as well, that's a hell of a lot of personnel to lose from a small squad :\.

Wednesday 5 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifSussex v Nottinghamshire (11:00 BST)2.361.72100.27 %
maximize.gifWarwickshire v Somerset (11:00 BST)2.21.72103.59 %
Thursday 6 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifHampshire v Lancashire (11:00 BST)21.83104.55 %
One for me in tomorrow's matches. 3pts Sussex to beat Nottinghamshire (DNB) 13/10 Bet365 I like Sussex's price here. Let's not forget they know how to win matches in this competition given they won it two years on the trot not so long ago. Although they've only won once this year, an awful lot of their games have been rain affected. This price looks like an over reaction to last week's defeat to Durham but that can be excused. Notts' recent form hasn't been a lot better but they managed to pick up a couple of wins earlier in the season. This is a chance to close the gap on leaders Durham. Sussex have a very solid squad for this level. Murray Goodwin is the stand out batsman but Nash, Yardy, Ed Joyce and even Luke Wright make up a very solid batting lineup. Corey Collymore, Yasir Arafat and either Kirtley, Lewry or Martin-Jenkins form a good seam attack while Rayner is a good up and coming spinner. Notts will be keen to welcome run machine Mark Wagh back into their side now he's recovered from injury. On paper they have a good batting lineup too but the fact they keep changing it at the top suggests Newell isn't happy. Newman and Wood will open this week. Ryan Sidebottom has been ruled out with the ball as he's with England and I sense Darren Pattinson's recent performances haven't gone down too well as he's out and Shreck and Fletcher are in. I don't see a lot between these two man for man. Notts could be slightly better but Arundel is a good batting wicket and I think of the two batting lineup's Sussex is marginally the more consistent. I'd have Sussex nearer evens for this match so the 13/10 represents a price that I'm happy enough to take on the Sharks.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Sussex was a draw last week. Going with 2 today but in a real hurry so no huge write up. For some reason I can't get the prices on odds-comparison to copy in here. 3pts Durham to beat Lancashire (DNB) 4/6 Ladbrokes Lancashire without Mahmood and Chapple in their bowling attack. Lungley could debut but Durham are running away with this division and even without Onions and Harmison I think they'll win this one. 3pts Warwickshire to beat Nottinghamshire (DNB) 11/8 Stan James Warwickshire have Trott, Bell and Sreesanth available and are batting well. Woakes and Carter have been in the wickets. Swann's back for Notts but the pressure is on them to win and at the prices I like the Bears here.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Those last two were draws so still -3.81 now.

Tuesday 25 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifWorcestershire v Nottinghamshire (11:00 BST)2.751.5899.65 %
Wednesday 26 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifYorkshire v Warwickshire (11:00 BST)1.722.1105.51 %
Thursday 27 August 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifHampshire v Somerset (11:00 BST)2.11.72105.51 %
Hopefully I'll be betting on all 3 matches this week but I'll go on a daily basis as there's differing forecasts about. 6pts Nottinghamshire to beat Worcestershire (DNB) 4/7 Ladbrokes Worcestershire are as good as relegated in this division already, sitting some 59pts behind their nearest rivals and without a Championship win all season. Notts know this is a must win game, and ideally a win well game to close the gap on Champions elect Durham who have scooted clear at the top of the table. Worcestershire are still going through some rotten injury spells. Matt Mason is the latest to go lame and he joins top class seamers Kabir Ali and Ashley Noffke on the sidelines, although Noffke may actually have gone back to Australia now. That leaves a very inexperienced attack which is even more inexperienced when you consider Gareth Batty has been left out after it's been announced he's leaving at the end of the season. Nottinghamshire are without England trio Sidebottom, Swann and Broad for this game and overseas player Adam Voges has left to join up with the Australian twenty20 squad. Scott Newman continues his loan spell at the top of the order while Alex Hales will open the batting with him. With the ball, Paul Franks could get a rare start. This is a mismatch. Nottinghamshire are much the better side here and I expect them to win very comfortably. 4/7 is a short price but it's still a valuable one.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 One for Wednesday. 3pts Warwickshire to beat Yorkshire (DNB) 6/5 Ladbrokes This is a huge game in the battle to avoid the drop. The two sides immediately above the drop zone do battle at Headingley in a game which neither side can afford to lose. The winners will probably consider themselves safe with only 3 matches left but nothing will be mathematically certain. Yorkshire will be without Adil Rashid and Tim Bresnan for this game as they are both away with England now. Richard Pyrah and Azeem Rafiq will come in for them. As has been their problem this season, for me, Yorkshire look a batsman light and their bowling attack doesn't look as potent as it could do either. Warwickshire will be without Jon Trott who has been added to England's ODI squad for the game with Ireland. Ian Bell isn't in that side though so he plays here. Boyd Rankin is injured so he misses out which means Sreesanth and Chris Woakes will have to lead the attack. Ant Botha looks set to continue opening the batting. Warwickshire's batting has been excellent this season and as we saw in the test match, bowlers will have joy here so with their likely extra weight of runs to give to their bowling attack to defend I think the Bears can win this crunch clash.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Annoyingly Notts fell 7 runs short of their final day run chase having left their charge too late. Warwickshire looked in control against Yorkshire until a 150+ run 8th wicket partnership brought them almost level. When the rain got involved that was that so I'm still -3.81 coming in this week.

Tuesday 1 September 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifDurham v Somerset (10:30 BST)1.662.5299.68 %
Wednesday 2 September 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifLancashire v Sussex (10:30 BST)1.662.2105.45 %
maximize.gifWarwickshire v Worcestershire (10:30 BST)1.52.75103.03 %
Thursday 3 September 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifNottinghamshire v Yorkshire (10:30 BST)1.532.62103.31 %
Lots of rain around this week so results could be few and far between. There's a couple I'll come back with later in the week though in the hope the forecast brightens up.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Last week of matches this week. I'm going with 2 bets as the relegation race hots up.

3pts Warwickshire to beat Lancashire (DNB) Evs Blue Square

It could end up pointless betting in a game like this where both sides know a draw is all they need to stay up but they should both stay up on bonus points alone so I’m happy enough to take Warwickshire here who I believe to be the better side of the two. They have an awesome batting line up with Bell and Trott foolishly still here instead of in South Africa. Lancashire themselves have a decent bowling attack but their batting revolves all around Laxman at the minute. The draw could well be favourite so I’ll bet without the draw but I’ll take the Bears who I believe to be the stronger all round side.

4pts Sussex to beat Nottinghamshire (DNB) 5/4 Stan James

It’s must win and hope for Sussex this week as they look to extend their stay in Division 1. After being skittled for just 80 odd last week to have Yorkshire a crucial win, the Sharks are bang up against it to avoid the drop. Annoyingly Sussex haven’t named their squad in public but I’m pretty certain they signed Piyush Chawla for the rest of the season and given how Notts can’t play spin I expect him to have a huge impact on this game. Notts will be giving Mark Ealham his last game before retirement even though he’s not fully fit and there’s a couple of other players in their side who aren’t fully fit too. Sussex are the healthier side, their need for a win is greater and even though they could be relegated before Saturday, I’m sure pride will want them to go with a win if they do go so at 5/4 I’ll take the Sharks here.