MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09

2:30 MUSSELBURGH Caravel 4-5 RPF WIN Won LTO. Course and Distance winner (LTO). No other trainer or jockey in this race have more experience here than J Howard Johnson and Denis O'regan. Johnson is 37 from 153 the past 5 seasons. O'regan is 17 from 23 the past 5 seasons. Owner Andrea & Graham Wylie usually do well here. 7 wins from 16 hurdlers this season. Caravel is forecasted odds-on by the Racing Post while Wylies other three are priced 8 to 18. 10 pts

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09 I just went and spent half an hour doing a belt and braces preview of this meeting and lost it due to a log in problem. That'll teach me to copy before posting! I might be going today for for some fresh air and chill out, so a brief review of my tentative selections; 2.30 Caravel; Should have too much same reasons as above post, winning time/margin LTO suggests he should have enough in hand to repeat. 3.00 Za Beau E/W: Top 2 in weights have trouble finding enough to win at these weights, much depends on whether Johnny Roche comes back in prime form. 3.30 Jo Jo Star e/w: Running consistently, Calcutta Cup up another 7lbs might just be too much, same with Strobe. Top 2 in weights at mercy of handicapper. 4.00 Festival King: Improving, up a fair hike but gets trip. Percutant and singhalong were 1/2 recently over CD but both are up a bit too, Percutant being more severely hit so placings could be closer. I'll stick with Timmy here on FK. 4.30 Stravaigin: Jim Goldie does well here, Stravaigin is on a winnable mark, has won over the distance and has a valuable 5lb claim from the excellent Campbell Gilles. Snowy is getting on a bit, would have romped this a couple of years ago but a still a solid e/w proposition. 5.00 Alvarado: Weighted to reverse placings with Hunters Belt, though can't write off Hillview Boy either. J Howard J's should be good enough though. 4.30

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09 3:30 - Along The Nile (Each-Way) Not the best of runs LTO but now back at Musselburgh I expect a better run from this horse, he loves it round this track especially over this 2m trip, recent form figures read 122 around the 2m trip. If he is to bounce back to form its likely to come round here, should also enjoy the good ground. 8/1 Skybet

Tipsters Selections - Musselburgh 01/03/09 Here are my thoughts on todays racing at Musselburgh. 2.30 Caravel I can see this Howard Johnson Horse possibly coming "unstuck" here, Will totally relish these conditions to start but does have to cope with a rise in the weights (8lbs up on his win LTO) and a Class rise where he will be running against a couple here who have already taken part in bigger and better races, And he is giving all the other runners a 7lb+ head start at the weights. Casual Affair ould improve past his 2nd behind the impressive Red Moloney two outings ago and there looks to be room for improvement in this gelding and looks value compared to Caravel. Speed Up Is another who looks value and has had 9 runs over hurdles on similar ground and has placed 3 times and has been unlucky on 4 other occassions missing the frame out by one place, Has been riding over similar weights and Graham Lee knows his way round this track and is 16 wins ahead of the second jockey at this track. Overview Caravel should go well but as i mentioned in the above section he does have a bit to do at the weights and the slight rise in class, Casual Affair looks a improver and this ground could be a bonus to him, Speed Up should be supported before the off and looks to run a big race on what he has done so far over hurdles. Outside Danger: Pontop My selections: Casual Affair 1 Point E/W @ 6/1 & Speed Up 1 Point E/W @ 8/1.

Re: Tipsters Selections - Musselburgh 01/03/09 3.00 Categorical & Guns And Butter Are likely to struggle under these weights the second mentioned especially. Za Beau Is clearly weighted to go well again and could easily get a double for J S Goldie, His form over these conditions reads 523 and he is now better off by 3lbs on those runs, Also has a confidence boosting win 39 days ago and looks to be another big danger. Benmadigin Has a good chance at these weights compared to his last run where he managed a distant 4th, But he has come down considerably in the weights on that run by over a stone and Davy Condon could get a big improvement out of this presenting gelding. Outside Danger: Stoneriggs Merc My Selections: Za Beau 1 Point E/W @ 11/2 & Benmadigin 1 Point E/W @ 8/1.

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09 3.30 MOTIVE 25/1 E/W Think the price is to big on this one now the ground is trying and back to 2m very surprised by the price. There has been money for along the nile and it always goes well here but just feel it is weighted up to the hilt and am happy with what my selection has.

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09 3.30 Very hard race to predict here so stakes will be kept low Woody Valentine Was heavily eased down LTO in a Class 5 Seller, And there is no reason why he does not deserve to step up in class, When last seen in a Class 3 race over these G&D conditions he managed to make the frame 3/14 carryng 7lbs more than todays mark. Tiger King Has a 50% Place Strike rate over these conditions carrying 11-6 & 11-4 in Class 4 races but is now carrying 10-1 now and does look a possible danger if improving on his latest form. Outside Danger: Motive My Selections: Woody Valentine 0.5 Point E/W @ 20/1 & Tiger King 0.5 Point E/W @ 14/1.

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09 4.00 All eyes will be on Festival King gunning for his Hat-Trick, And cannot be ignored at these weights, Has acted on different conditions and did well LTO to get another win over this trip. Itzacliche Seems intersting here, Won over this Trip in a Hunters chase with the same jockey on board so the drop in weights by a considerable could make up for the hefty rise in Class on that win, Also seems to be improving over hurdles and just couldnt catch Roznic LTO but now back to a trip he should enjoy. Outside Danger: Percutant My Selections: Festival King 1 Point Win @ 9/4 & Itzacliche 1 Point E/W @ 9/1.

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09

3.30 Jo Jo Star e/w: Running consistently, Calcutta Cup up another 7lbs might just be too much, same with Strobe. Top 2 in weights at mercy of handicapper.
Someone agrees with you - it has been backed from 11/2 to 7/2. :hope

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09 MARCH MATE 3.30 Musselburgh. 1 point win. Goes handicapping now and although not shown enough to win this, he is open to any amount of improvement. The trip and ground shouldn't be a problem and gets in here off an interesting looking mark of 103. Is a decent price and that all makes the bet.

Re: MUSSELBURGH - 01Mar09

I just went and spent half an hour doing a belt and braces preview of this meeting and lost it due to a log in problem. That'll teach me to copy before posting! I might be going today for for some fresh air and chill out, so a brief review of my tentative selections; 2.30 Caravel; Should have too much same reasons as above post, winning time/margin LTO suggests he should have enough in hand to repeat. 3.00 Za Beau E/W: Top 2 in weights have trouble finding enough to win at these weights, much depends on whether Johnny Roche comes back in prime form. 3.30 Jo Jo Star e/w: Running consistently, Calcutta Cup up another 7lbs might just be too much, same with Strobe. Top 2 in weights at mercy of handicapper. 4.00 Festival King: Improving, up a fair hike but gets trip. Percutant and singhalong were 1/2 recently over CD but both are up a bit too, Percutant being more severely hit so placings could be closer. I'll stick with Timmy here on FK. 4.30 Stravaigin: Jim Goldie does well here, Stravaigin is on a winnable mark, has won over the distance and has a valuable 5lb claim from the excellent Campbell Gilles. Snowy is getting on a bit, would have romped this a couple of years ago but a still a solid e/w proposition. 5.00 Alvarado: Weighted to reverse placings with Hunters Belt, though can't write off Hillview Boy either. J Howard J's should be good enough though. 4.30
Could have saved myself a long write up, should just have followed Jim Goldie and JhowardJ blind as usual:dude