A Hand from last nights focus game

happyhornet

Early in the game this hand occured: teaulcsg1 sitting in seat 1 with 1510.00 borokp sitting in seat 2 with 1667.50 philossify sitting in seat 3 with 2090.00 thehornet01 sitting in seat 4 with 1315.00 roger_melly sitting in seat 5 with 2495.00[Dealer] RiverChaser_ sitting in seat 6 with 4480.00 beanolizzy sitting in seat 7 with 1972.50 MrTricky sitting in seat 8 with 2270.00 RiverChaser_ posted the small blind - 15.00 beanolizzy posted the big blind - 30.00 ** Dealing cards to thehornet01: 5h, 6s MrTricky folded teaulcsg1 folded borokp folded philossify folded thehornet01 called - 30.00 roger_melly raised to 120.00 RiverChaser_ folded beanolizzy folded thehornet01 called - 120.00 ** Dealing the flop: 4s, 8s, As thehornet01 checked roger_melly bet - 150.00 thehornet01 raised to 450.00 roger_melly went all-in - 2225.00 thehornet01 went all-in - 745.00 roger_melly shows: Ad, Ah People at the table were mystified to my play, and whilst I agree it is far from optimal, I am not sure it was as bad as people made out:\ Equally I could be wrong and you all agree it was terrible:lol:lol Pre-flop I am trying to mix my game up at the moment, I've felt I am becoming a bit predictable (certainly in PL games) and you guys are more than good enough to read me:(, so I call Martyn's raise. After the flop, I had a gutshot and a flush draw. I was going to check as OOP. Martyn's bet looked weak (shows what I know!!:lol) so I raised. When he came over the top, my thinking (such as it was) was that he was trying to protect against the flush draw and as long as he didn't have a high spade, I had a fair number of outs. Add to that it was just my last 700-odd into a 3000-odd pot, I jumped. I thought Martyn may have a Big Ace. The turn was the nine of clubs, but the river was a spade to give me the pot. I was a little surprised at the criticism of my play here, but, and it is a big but, if it was that bad, then that is a major leak in my game that I need to address. Maybe, I took unpredictable to a whole new level:loon Any thoughts guys would be appreciated! Steve

Re: A Hand from last nights focus game dont see too much wrong really,only that your stack was to small to call preflop. being a fairly short stack i think your better off waiting for big hands,you really want to have a bit of play in your stack to play these sort of hands as they depend a lot on implied odds:ok i might well have folded it down preflop being as short as you, but its not a bad call on the raise tho. the raise on a scary flop is not a bad play but again being a short stack means your getting pot commited in a hand you could be in trouble with ,so you end up having to make another tricky call to the all in. you were just about getting the right odds all the way thru the hand but it always looked a tight descision. you could have been way behind in the hand all the way thru,luckily his trips were better than it could have been:loon so in your situation i would have folded pf and not got involved but the call and play after werent bad ,maybe just badly timed :ok

Re: A Hand from last nights focus game I don't think the call after the raise pre-flop is bad at all. I really like connectors when blinds are small and even after the call you still have a very playable stack in relation to the blinds. So, I probs may have called pre-flop also, although it is marginal! :ok I think the problem here is the raise after Martyn's bet on the flop. He has bet half the pot here (how can you read that as weak?? :loon) I think when he comes back over the top, you've got to realise that he has a very big hand and I would fold here. You still have around 25 BB's so you can quite easily work your way back up. As Uber says though, I think this is a case of bad timing (although I think you can still get away frm it).... but I'd say 8 times out of 10 this will probs work as long as the oppon doesn't have such a big hand as what Martyn did! :ok

Re: A Hand from last nights focus game Aye, I saw that one. I was one of the players amazed by your play at the table. Preflop calling a raise out of position is something risky with your small stack, but ok. The flop was not that good for you I thought. Your flush draw was based on a 6s in your hand. So much chance that the other had a higher spade for the flush draw. He makes a weak bet and your raise him, and then he reraises all in... I thought he had the flush already or had a double with a high spade. I think you played it very loose aggressive till that point. But then to make that call with so much chance to be totally dominated if he had a Flush or Flush draw... that amazed me. But you were also pushing yourself into being pot committed so early in the tournament and so early in the hand with no real strength, just some possible draw and out of position. That play under those circumstances really surprised me.

Re: A Hand from last nights focus game

Your play is very loose, but to be honest Rogers call on that flop with 3 sapdes on the board was a smudge risky as well
he didn't call? :unsure He bet 150 on the flop, steve raised to 450 then Martyn re-raised all in. You would have folded a set of aces in that spot then?? :\

I was one of the players amazed by your play at the table. Preflop calling a raise out of position is something risky with your small stack, but ok.
He doesn't have a short stack! :\ Am I missing something? :unsure The blinds are 15/30, HH has 1300? that's more than 40 BB's. You only start with 1500 don't ya?

He doesn't have a short stack! :\ Am I missing something? :unsure The blinds are 15/30, HH has 1300? that's more than 40 BB's. You only start with 1500 don't ya?
Yeah, you're right on that one. He's not small stack. I still found it a strange and very risky play postflop... I like his aggressiveness (I try to be aggressive sometimes too) , but in this situation it almost seemed like he was out of control :\ or maybe thats just another level of profitable aggression that I still need to learn?