Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day

Spooner

12:25 - Cockney Trucker Been waiting for this horse to come back out and im very sweet on him tomorrow, Ran at Cheltenham last time out over hurdles after some good bumper form and ran a decent race into 3rd, Only beaten just over ½l by Dee Ee Williams, He should improve bundles for that run. Was a f/c price of 4/1 on sporting life and I have to admit I was getting a bit exicted but the 2/1 on betfair at the moment is a good price and can't see the bookies opening any bigger. Also I wouldn't put anyone taking small stakes for him to win the Supreme Novices or Ballymore Novices, Aroudn 60 for both on betfair at the moment. @ 2/1 Betfair

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day Newbury 14:40 - Character Building First of all this could be argued as a 'weak renewal' of the Hennessy Gold Cup, I don't think we will be getting any Denamn's out of the race however Character Building finished 3rd in this race last year behind the mightly Denman. One run since that and that was three weeks ago at Towcester over hurdles where he made a winning return, The run would of made him very fresh for this race and if running to the ability he showed last year then he would have to go close. Here's what trainer said about him. John Quinn on Character Building: "He's fine. I was pleased with him at Towcester, the horse can do no more than win. He got injured in the spring so we had to leave him alone and we thought we'd get him ready for the Hennessy again. I haven't looked any further than the Hennessy, though he'll be in all the staying chases. He must have a chance. There's no Denman this time but it's still very competitive. He's certainly got a sporting chance." The yard haven't had many runners over the last week or so but when they have there horses seem to be good enough form, Dougie costello takes the ride. 5pts e/w @ 15/2 Paddy Power

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day 12.25 Cockney Trucker 7/4 cor 15 pts Looking forward to this runner. A good bumper performer who finished strongly at the fest. to be a good 8th and showed ability during a good start to his hurdle career when thidr at chelt. with the top three putting some distance between the rest. The form of that race has worked out so well, with dee ee williams winning a good race since and beating shoreacres just (form of his first hurdle win working out really well too) in what looks a good race. Alfie Flits has won nicely since in a time that was comparable to bincoluar's win on the same card. Indeed the sixth, eighth and tenth have all won since and that means that cockney trucker's first hurdle run looks really solid form. Plus there has to be an expectation that cockney trucker should be able to improve on that run. Possibly it is hinted he may need more of a trip in time but the way it has been riding at newb. on the first few days, means the his stamina should be beneficial and I would fancy him to outbattle the classy flat and to some degree already hurdle performer from nicholls. Peppertree lane is an interesting newcomer but I feel quite strongly about cockney truckers chances here. 2.05 Blazing Bailey 4/1 var bog 15 pts I have always been a blazing bailey fan and whilst I acknowledge that inglis drever is an undisputed class act, I tend to side with BB more often than not and sometimes with success. Sure ID has beaten BB often but BB has also beaten ID twice, a fact often ignored and this season I wonder just how good ID will be. It might be possible that BB will not have to improve that much to overtake ID. ID has proved me wrong before but each year he gets older and he wasnt impressive on his last outing last season although he probably didnt take the track again as a legit. excuse. Besides BB was in good form at the end of last season, after an average run in the WH where I feel ruby didnt get on with him that well as he is a horse that you have to know (similarly to ID at one point). He won at ain. in almost ID style by staying on relentelessly from originally a struggling point and then did something similarly at punch. The blinkers have been left off today with the trainer feeling they didnt do much difference and possibly by the way his lazy style remained during his blinkered races he may have a point. I just favour BB, already sharper with a flat spin to his name, to beat the old boy. 2.40 Big Bucks 10 pts 9/2 var bog e.w I have to say I dont think this is a vintage renewal but one horse in it that may have a good chance to be much better than his current mark is big bucks for whom the gold cup may not be completely off the agenda, something that can be said for so few of these. Big Bucks basically is unexposed as a 3m+ chaser, he came into the country starting off as a 2m where showed some ability including a victory over the arkle second but he came into his own on the last start of the season at ain. over 3m. He beat that field well that day, despite jumping errors and put the sun alliance winner firmly in his place on that ocassion. He looked better as he went on as well and saw at the trip in good style, something he will have to do today. Obviously his jumping is a bit of a concern but with a summer off, he should have been schooled quite extensively in that area and it will be a test to see whether he is up to the test of a hennessey today. If he does cope with it, I think he will be hard to beat because he is one of the unexposed types in here who I struggle to see many of. Looking at the others, air force one it is suggested to be better right handed and also on better ground which could compromise his chance as he is one who looks a likely type for this race otherwise, indeed I wouldnt surprise me if he could be a decent KG outsider which would suggest he would have to figure here, except Im not sure the style of the race is gauranteed to suit him and with his front running style he is often vulnerable late on for one to nick him on the line. Albertas Run looked so good in the RSAC and Im certain saves a bit for himself but Big Bucks put him in his place lto and he was very mediocre on his seasonal bow. Oedipe I would prefer for perhaps more of speedier race like perhaps a racing post chase. verasi I wouldnt totally dismiss at a price as he will ove the ground and his victories over old benny look strong but overall I like Big Bucks here.Im a bit concerned with his jumping but if it has improved he looks one of the more unexposed types in the race who may have the necessary pounds in hand to win this. 3.45 Khyber Kim 7/2 var bog 15 pts I just wonder whether the time to catch this one is now when he is fresh. He was awesome fto last year when winning convincingly up against a nice field and producing low quotes for the supreme and specualtive ones for the ch, thats how impressive he was. After that he did disappoint, admitedly once in a strong race at don. before running flattish at chelt and just ok at aint. However he is a horse who has had some problems before and he does seem to be one that has the ability its just a matter of catching him at the right time and its possible that time could be today when fresh. He has a new yard now as well and if he is on song like say at newb. last year, then 140 in a handicap shouldnt pose many problems although that is an if.

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day Albertas Run 2.40 Newbury Stunned to see this at double figure odds considering how effective it was last season in Grade 1/Grade 2 races. It won the Reynoldstown race and had Air Force One behind that day over 3m. It also won at Cheltenham and had Air Force One behind again, this time by over 20 lengths. It was turned over at Aintree by Big Bucks but that does not worry me when you take into account the amount of times form is overturned from Cheltenham to Aintree. This horse was a distant 2nd to Tidal Bay last year over a trip too short but Tidal Bay has impressed since boosting that form and when making its seasonal reappearance this season was also sent out over a trip too short. It jumped well enough but was outpaced and finished last but was definitely in need of the run and may not have liked the soft ground that day. It won Grade 2 and Grade 1 races last season and has the 2nd season chaser profile to fit the trends. Denman had also won the same Grade 1 race (Royal and SunAlliance) before taking this last year in convincing style. Back up in trip will be ideal and although the stable were out of form last year this horse still managed to provide some success for Jonjo. McCoy in the saddle, has the right kind of RPR to fit trends too and I expect a massive run from it today. I think Sam Thomas is on the wrong horse and Dear Villez could be a bigger danger than Big Bucks. I also respect Air Force One and have that and Albertas Run in my 10 to follow.

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day 12.25 I wasnt too perturbed that the nicholls horse got beat last time out in a very good race at Cheltenham. The pace was on that day & todays race might just suit the horse better. It was giving a lot of weight that day & again has to defy top weight but it sets a good standard & this race should produce a number of winners to follow this season. Cockney trucker is the obvious danger but Nicholls record of 3 wins in 5 years in this race tips the scales for me. 3/1 Ladbrokes 1.00 The nicholls horse could be anything & no doubt will be thereabouts. I prefer the Twiston Davies trained Tricky Trickster. The trainer has good words to say about the horse & despite only 2 runs, has been racing in point to points prior. 15/2 best price. 1.35 Although Saintsaire has won this last 2 years, the chnage of stable to A Hales from Nicholls pushes it price out to 25/1! Petit Robin will take all the beating here if recovered form its injury last season. Too many others have question marks over jumping & trip. This could be agood thing today. Evs best price. 2.05 What a race, where do we start? Inglis Drever going for 4 on the trot in this race to start yet another assault on Cheltenham this season. One of my 10 to follow Pettifour runs in the race & i remian loyal to that horse to be thereabouts today. if it wins its a superstar! A place wouldnt be bad either against this opposition. 11/2 Ladbrokes 2.40 Already backed Big Bucks to become the first 5yo to win this race, however Island Flyer & Oedipe are my savers on the trends so those 3 against the field for me. Doesnt look a great renewal & with Character Building pulled out today, the race wont take a lot of winning but you have to stay ! 3.45 Twiston Davies now trains Khyber Kim after a disappointing end to last season under nicky Henderson after winning 1st time up. Thats probably the best time to catch the horse 7/2 today.

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day 2.40 Just going on Bowles trends and those on the ATR jumps microsite, its Island Flyer in the Hennessy for me. I was on Joe Lively ante-post but he's never made the line up but this fellow carries bottom weight and will handle conditions so I think he's worth a go at the price.

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day

12:25 - Cockney Trucker Been waiting for this horse to come back out and im very sweet on him tomorrow, Ran at Cheltenham last time out over hurdles after some good bumper form and ran a decent race into 3rd, Only beaten just over ½l by Dee Ee Williams, He should improve bundles for that run. Was a f/c price of 4/1 on sporting life and I have to admit I was getting a bit exicted but the 2/1 on betfair at the moment is a good price and can't see the bookies opening any bigger. Also I wouldn't put anyone taking small stakes for him to win the Supreme Novices or Ballymore Novices, Aroudn 60 for both on betfair at the moment. @ 2/1 Betfair
Get in there.

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day Duc De Regniere 14:05 Won at Kempton lto 2.5f Class 2 race. Henderson trained horse has the potential to be classy over hurdles and trainer reckons he will run well today with McCoy booked. Stepping up in trip should't be a problem strong EW claims. 11/2 Ladbrokes WIN.

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day 14:05 Newbury Labelthou Best of her form had been in 3m races winning two and two 2nds from 5 runs. Has two wins and a 3rd from three career November runs. Class 1's has 4 wins and two 2nds from 8. Her competition have done more but being placed is all I expect here. She does have good form in Grade 2's; four wins and two 2nds from 7 runs. 2pts ew @ 25-1 Bet365 [bOG]

Re: Newbury 29/11/08 - Hennessy Gold Cup Day 14:40 Newbury My WIll Stablemate of Big Bucks so I think he's priced too big even if he's not done what Big Bucks have. Has a win in a 3m3f race (1 from 1) and 2nds in a 3m5f (2 from 2) so he should last the trip. Leg injury had helped keep him out since his last tun in April. But, form from the last two looked very good which inludes a 2nd to Exotic Dancer (by13L) followed by a 3rd at Sandown's Gold Cup Chase. Should be able to compete well if in good health. 1pts ew @ 33-1 Bet365 [bOG] 14:40 Newbury Snoopy Loopy Twice 3rd and finally won LTO since being stepped up to Graded events. He can stay this trip - 1 win from 1 run at 3m2f110y and a 2nd and 3rd from two tris over 3m1f. His form of 331 since October, all in Graded events, just looks to have him in the form of his life. 3pts ew @ 16-1 Bet365 [bOG]