Scoop 6 Previews & BlueSq Syndicate

Mabbs

I thought last week’s Scoop 6 was the biggest we would see for quite some time but yet again, it wasn’t won. Let’s hope it’s a single line or small syndicate that’s successful rather than someone who’s already a millionaire. Like last week, I’m going to try and select a shortlist for each race and then a final selection. It’s a bit disappointing there are so many race from the all weather card at Lingfield. A number of the horses contesting these races have seen a lot of action the last few months and the form can be erratic. Race 1 – 2.10 Lingfield An extremely tough handicap to get us underway with a few possible improvers going up against proven all weather performers. Gay Kelleway’s Fajr is a much better horse on the all weather than he is on turf and 7 of his 8 wins have come here at Lingfield but only 1 of those victories was over this trip, the other 6 were over a mile. The last of those wins was in this grade off a 1lbs higher mark so he would have to enter calculations, I just feel he’s badly handicapped against some of these rivals. Swift Gift is interesting for Martin Dwyer and Brian Meehan. He’s been contesting some decent 3yo handicaps on the turf and his 3 ½ length 4th place finish behind Plum Pudding at Newmarket last month reads well. Atlantic Story has two wins over course and distance to his name but they were both under Jamie Spencer who instead rides Madahee for Clive Brittain. Both these runners are trying to win from career high marks but of the two, Madahee is the one I would side with as a 3yo even though he is up 10lbs for his impressive win at Great Leighs earlier this month. My Gacho doesn’t quite look up to this grade and Ebraam is badly handicapped although both horses have been running well and could be placed again. If playing a perm, it may pay to put in one runner that is proven in the grade and on the all weather surface, as well as one of the younger improving horses. Shortlist: Madahee, Swift Gift, Fajr. Selection: Swift Gift. Race 2 – 2.40 Lingfield It doesn’t get any easier with another race where you could make a case for the majority of the field. Secret Night is only 1lb higher than when winning a similar event over course and distance. She has seen a lot of racing since though and that would put me off her chances slightly. Miss Brown To You got off the mark at Great Leighs last time in a muddling race, beating a few of these rivals in the process. This lightly raced filly is open to improvement and hails from a stable that is hard to ignore in this type of event. Spring Goddess was 2nd behind Miss Brown To You in that event and shouldn’t be far away again on these terms. Shortlist: Secret Night, Miss Brown To You, Spring Goddess. Selection: Miss Brown To You. Race 3 – 2.45 Haydock There’s a decent prize on offer to the winner of this Class 2 handicap where 16 runners go to post. The top horse Darkness is a particularly interesting contender. He’s been off the track for 945 days and it would be some training performance to have him ready to win a race like this but his previous chase form would give him a massive chance off a mark of 142. I always take note of anything Venetia Williams sends into battle in these types of races but Mon Mome seems to perform better with a run under his belt. Osako D’airy from the Paul Nicholls yard is bound to be a popular choice for casual punters. For me, his form doesn’t look special enough to warrant his place at the head of the market. I often oppose these Nicholls favourites in handicaps as I did last week with Silverburn. They do win sometimes but they also get over bet and go off at more prohibitive odds than they should. I struggle to get a handle on runners from the Henrietta Knight stable and Glasker Mill is another I can’t make head nor tail of. He’s still fairly unexposed over fences and after a shaky start to his chasing career with two falls, he picked up a decent price at Cheltenham last November. He could strip a lot fitter off the back of his run at Cheltenham last month and is the only runner in the field with a win to his name at the track, albeit over hurdles. Philip Hobbs runners performed quite well in the big races last weekend and I think Gold Medallist could do the same here. He was a very good performer on the flat and may well come into his own over fences this season. He contested some decent Novice Chases last year and doesn’t look badly handicapped to these eyes. Shortlist: Darkness, Glasker Mill, Gold Medallist. Selection: Gold Medallist. Race 4 – 3.20 Lingfield A very competitive Listed race sees Royal Hunt Cup winner Mr Aviator go up against John Gosden’s lightly raced Bronze Cannon. I’m really having a tough time narrowing down the field here. Baharah and Harvest Queen are closely matched on their race over a mile here last month. At least we know both are in decent form and there is no reason why these fillies won’t run well here again. The horse that stands out for me is Michael Jarvis’ Philatelist. He has been off the track a while but coming here fresh might not be a bad thing. He is a course and distance winner and has the beating of Mr Aviator going by their meeting at Kempton in March. Clive Brittain’s Yahrab is 2 from 2 on the all weather over this trip and has the assistance of Jamie Spencer in the plate. He’s still relatively lightly raced and could well prove a threat stepping back into Listed company. Shortlist: Harvest Queen, Yahrab, Philatelist. Selection: Philatelist. Race 5 – 3.30 Huntingdon The worst of the six races in terms of quality and probably the toughest to get enthusiastic about any of the participants. The tissue favourite is Tim Vaughan’s House Of Bourbon. This horse was with Charlie Swan in Ireland and did have some reasonable form over there but it’s hard to know what it amounts to exactly but it’s probably as good as anything else in the field. Lowe Go and Domenico have both won off higher marks in the past but are both also average and on the downgrade. Acosta had looked very average until winning easily last time out at 20/1. He’s been put up 12lbs for that win and it’s hard to see him following up. Millards Lad looks well in on his chase form but he’s never produced the same level of form over hurdles. Even so, I’d say he has a level of ability above anything else in this field. Pearly Star knows how to win but is probably a little high in the weights. Charlie Mann’s Rebel Melody is the only other one I could seriously consider. This course and distance winner is lightly raced for a 7yo and comes back to hurdling after a couple of disappointing chase efforts. Shortlist: House Of Bourbon, Millards Lad, Rebel Melody. Selection: Rebel Melody. Race 6 – 3.50 Lingfield A nice little six furlong race to finish and one where I think the ultra consistent Ceremonial Jade will be tough to beat. His record at Lingfield is superb with 3 wins, 3 2nds and a 3rd from 8 runs. His record over 6 furlongs reads 3 wins and 2 2nds from 6 runs. Chief Editor is likely to give Ceremonial Jade something to think about if taking to the polytrack. He did win at Southwell on his racecourse debut. Bonus ran a stinker during the week but I wouldn’t not be surprised if he bounced back with Hayley Turner back in the saddle. John Gosden’s Prohibit contested some very decent races during the summer and he scored in decent fashion at Great Leighs last time. He merits serious consideration. Shortlist: Ceremonial Jade, Chief Editor, Prohibit. Selection: Ceremonial Jade.

Re: Scoop 6 Preview - 22/11/08 Does anybody know why they have fcuked around with the races at Huntingdon? My first thoughts are so people don't have as much time to study! :unsure In my local evening newspaper from the declared runners they have which is from published declarations earlier on, they have switched races around!!! I checked on Paddypower & William Hill and the 1.50 race has been switched to the 2.25 race / the 2.25 race has been switched to the 1.50 race / the 2.55 race has been switched to the 3.30 race / and the 3.30 race has been switched to the 2.55 race :unsure Anybody know why this has happened?

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.