Tennis Handicaps

I've recently started betting on tennis handicaps. I just bet on Murray at -5 against Bolelli which was clearly going to win until Bolelli dropped out for no apparent reason. Last Monday I bet on Cibulkova at +2 against Bartoli who retired when 6-1 4-1 down. Obviously this is very frustrating when I've absolutely nailed the bet but I only get my stake returned because the losing player just gives up. Obviously if they are injured they will have to stop playing but is there anything in the ATP/WTA rules to discourage them from doing this?

Re: Tennis Handicaps

So you won on 1 and lost on 1 - can't complain?:unsure
That is utter nonsence Mr I:lol:lol:lol:lol Unlucky mate, nothing you can do. Retirements don't happy in a big % of matches, so it shouldn't affect your results too much, but losing out on a couple in quick succession sucks. If you don't like it play a different market - with handicaps like +2 I'd rather have a nice price on the dog.

Re: Tennis Handicaps Nothing I can do of course, just an occupational hazard, apart from also bet on my selections to get the win. I just have to hope I will get some retirements going my way occasionally but if I'm picking them well the players I back won't be giving up. The guy (Bolelli) came back yesterday evening and played 3 sets of doubles so his injury clearly was just an excuse because he was getting pummelled.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Tennis Handicaps Tennis handicap betting is funny, and not like handicap betting on the team sports I'm more familiar with, because I keep on changing allegiance. I've got money on Kuznetsova at the mo at +4.5 against Jankovic. I spent the whole of the 1st set supporting Kuznetsova until it gets to the tie break and then I'm supporting Jankovic since I don't want it going to 3 sets. Now I just need Kuznetsova to lose this set, but not by 6-2 or worse. So provided that Kuznetsova doesn't get blown away I will changing my allegiance during this set as well.

Re: Tennis Handicaps The easiest way to think of it is to add together the set scores. So if somebody wins 6-4 6-4 they have won 12-8 in games, then you apply the handicap. So if you'd backed the loser +4.5 games ten they would actually have won 12-12.5. The other way if you'd backed the winner -4.5 games, after applying the handicap it would be 7.5-8 so you would lose. It's a bet sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. It can be good if you think a fav is going to absolutely hammer the opponent, or if you think a big underdog can keep it close (maybe a big server indoors). As BetBouncer was mentioning, any retirement and bets are void in this market.