What poker books have you read and what ones would you recommend?

MartyMcG_1967

I've read Harrington on Holdem' Volume I, Expert Strategy for NL Holdem tournaments. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it. Also reading Volume 2 of this after downloading it as an e-book and loving every page so far, particularly looking forward to the Heads Up chapter. So what have you all read and what books would you recommend?

Re: What poker books have you read and what ones would you recommend? I read Super System II and probably should give it another go for the variants rather than NLHE strategy. I've tried (more than once) to read the HoH books but I find all the situations a bit contrived. I also find the tips given a little....obvious. Apparently Gus Hansen's book is very good. :unsure

Re: What poker books have you read and what ones would you recommend?

Any particular reason?
Because they're real men, with big hair and real balls. Or something like that. I've read: - Harrington OH Tournaments Volume I - Harrington On Cash Games Volumes I+II - The Theory Of Poker by David Sklansky - Some random Phil Hellmuth book Non Strategy: - Swimming with the DevilFish. Harrington's are probably the best as they get to the point in a very clear manner.

Re: What poker books have you read and what ones would you recommend? As already mentioned Harrington and The Theory Of Poker by David Sklansky are very good. Mike Caro's "Book of Poker Tells" is also a must if you want to improve your live play. It was written years ago, and some of it seems terribly dated, but there's nothing new in body language.

Re: What poker books have you read and what ones would you recommend? I've read Harrington Volume 1, have Volume 2 and I'm reading Sklansky's Theory of Poker. Also read, Vorhourse Killer Poker Online. I think the common demoninator here is not the books but the punters: The losing players (me anyhow) read these booksa and the winning players (the mole & staffy) don't. That must make me twice the sucker I imagined myself to be.

I think the common demoninator here is not the books but the punters: The losing players (me anyhow) read these booksa and the winning players (the mole & staffy) don't. That must make me twice the sucker I imagined myself to be.
Lol. I saw this before i went out, thought about it, came back. Still don't know how to reply. What with McG's call last night HU i'm wondering why people are trying to put me on life tilt ...............

Re: What poker books have you read and what ones would you recommend? I've read Harrington (Tournaments), Super System and am currently working through Full Tilt Strategy Guide. I am not a "losing player" as Coltron puts it, but neither do I come into the same category as Mole (ie €100k in a night :notworthy). I think it's a case of each to their own. I try to read a book and see what bits I can use to try and improve my game, but that doesn't mean that those bits will work for everybody else. After all, if there was a right/wrong way to play poker we would all be experts :tongue2. And if you are lucky enough to be able to win at poker without any external guidance, then well done and good luck, :ok.

can anyone recommend any good books just about poker "stories" as such? off on hols next fri and could use a good read.
I always found Amarillo Slim most amusing. Amarillo Slim's "play poker to win" book, is more about his tall stories than poker strategy though he clearly was a hell of a player back in the 70's.