Main Event Strategies

gavham

Just wondered with a 20k starting stack does anyone have a strategy in mind? I usually take it as it comes. but with such a lot of starting chips i think mentally storing 10k away to the back of the head and playing loosish with the other 10 might be a good ploy, as i expect a lot of people will play tight early on

Re: Main Event Strategies I usually do something like that in the deepstack or double stack tourneys. I play loose the first levels when i dont have to invest a lot, but i draw my line at 70% of the initial stack, after that, i tighten up a lot (and i also have established my image as a Loose Agressive, so my big hands get the action they deserve) Regards Mr Mole and good luck in the main event

Re: Main Event Strategies Dont have a clue what to do. Best for me to sit out the first day, arrive on day 2 short stacked and push with any pkt pair or ace paint. Deep stacked and approx 2000 times my normal buyin I dont have the balls to make big plays or big calls early on. Think the starting blinds are 50/100 so its only 200 bb's (2 hr levels though) which isnt really that deepstacked compared with other live tournies I've been in, so I think very tight all the way and just pray you get enough good cards. Limp in position if possible but I cant see that happening too often. So my strategy is, go to church buy a rabbits foot and keep my fingers crossed.

Re: Main Event Strategies My strategy is to show a bit of willing by turning up and pretend to rail for 30 mins or so. Then within 5 mins I'll be so glad I'm no sitting there for the next 14 hours and go back to Hooters or something of that ilk :ok

Re: Main Event Strategies Initial thoughts are i will play tight early on,and loosen up if i get through to the latter stages and make full use of the us medical services if i get really deep(when i have a heart attack that is):lol

Re: Main Event Strategies Every forum out there (including the likes of 2plus2) have threads something along the lines of "If you get AA first hand of WSOP ME and there is a raise, reraise and all in before you, do you call or fold" and there are significant numbers of respondants (perhaps even the majority) who reply that they would fold - because they want the experience of WSOP ME to last more than a hand - basically they're prepared to trade EV for a longer experience. If people are going to be that scared for their tournament life, then I think you can be well placed to take advantage of that :ok Beyond that though - that deep stacked - I cant see any reason you wouldnt just play it as you would a (full ring) cash game (do you ever play full ring cash? :unsure)

Re: Main Event Strategies Plan A: If I have AA first hand and somebody goes all-in preflop, then I call. Plan B: Errr, ... I'm sure you'll do just fine, mole, even without a "Main Event Master Strategy". I'm a bit sceptical of arbitrarily deciding you have 10,000 "gambling chips" and 10,000 "backup chips", though. Apart from anything else, if you get your "gambling chips" in and somebody raises, I don't think you're allowed to say "Sorry, we're only going to play for 10,000, I'm saving these for later."

Re: Main Event Strategies

Every forum out there (including the likes of 2plus2) have threads something along the lines of "If you get AA first hand of WSOP ME and there is a raise, reraise and all in before you, do you call or fold" and there are significant numbers of respondants (perhaps even the majority) who reply that they would fold - because they want the experience of WSOP ME to last more than a hand - basically they're prepared to trade EV for a longer experience. If people are going to be that scared for their tournament life, then I think you can be well placed to take advantage of that :ok Beyond that though - that deep stacked - I cant see any reason you wouldnt just play it as you would a (full ring) cash game (do you ever play full ring cash? :unsure)
Rarely but i have, i am not in the slightest concerned about how to play in any given situation as i feel i have enough experience to know what im doing. I just think as you state Gaf there will be a lot of scared chips to steal early on, so its worth taking advantage of that

Re: Main Event Strategies In the scottish last year it was a double chance, i used my first 6k to look like a complete baboon ( which was quite easy) the second 6k i tightened up and played my game i left the table after half an hour with 32k. Table image worked a treat as you can bet more and get paid. People always remember your first big hand