Ante Post Betting

Based on what someone asked in the Grand National thread thought I'd get a discussion going about ante post betting and peoples thoughts and maybe even tactics on it. Until recently I didn't really bother with ante post bets and had only been successful with one that was Hedgehunter in the Grand National at 25-1 taken in the February before that years National. It was 10-1 on the day when it opened up and I let the bet run and didn't have a betfair account anyway at that time. I only had about £10 ew on it but it was good having got 25's and seeing other people take less than 10's on race day. More recently with using betfair I have noticed some ridiculously big prices but you can often only get between £5 to £10 at these prices. I know Bowles had small stakes on Master Minded at 85.0 and I had fairly small stakes on Albertas Run at 28.0 and then yesterday Woody hit the jackpot with his 150.0 on Comply Or Die. I'm not really into backing to lay and always want to try get most profit possible so instead of laying a bet off i'd prefer to back one of the rivals instead and should have done this in the Triumph. I took Franchoek at 8.0 and 4.0 a few months before Cheltenham for the Triumph Hurdle. I let the bet run, didn't lay it back at around 2's and had no net access when it was nearly evens on race day. I was going to back Celestial Halo instead for the race so I would basically have 2 with good chances running for me but didn't bother and as we know Franchoek only finished 2nd. There can be some good value around just before some of the trials races and if you fancy a horse strongly to win one of the trials it can also be worth backing it for it's longer term target. You then have the option of laying it at lower odds if it wins that trials race convincingly or backing something else in the race. If I back something at huge odds and it doesn't run chances are I'll probably only lose a tenner or so as thats often all that's available, that's what happened with my Star De Mohaison Gold Cup bet. :wall Some of these flat Derby trials will be interesting and there will be some horses available at silly prices on Betfair, lets hope we can land a few more ante post touches on here and be sure to check the ante post threads in here.

Re: Ante Post Betting I agree, I read the early threads about the national on here, regarding the trends etc and got matched Comply or Die at 18.0 on betfair a few week ago. I followed it in the market thinking if it came down to 10s I would lay it off for a free bet still at great odds. Then I thought for the sake of a tenner I would rather let it run and am glad I did. Im definitely impressed with the odds available ante post but will I be so impressed when I get stung a few times by non runners? So where the thread for the Irish National?

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.