Chepstow 24/03/08

Re: Chepstow 24/03/08 3.00 Ask the Umpire - ew @ 13/2 sportingbet Sportingbet are the standout price for this one who seems to have conditions in his favour today. A course and distance winner, he performs well in this grade in this soft ground. His record in class 5 on soft or heavy reads 1 1 4 1 2 3 2 1 - a strike rate of 50%. The 4th place in that sequence was over a trip of 3 miles - too far for him. Of the dangers, Jupon Vert looks out of form and Roaring Water hasnt won over fences before, although he has Richard Johnson riding today which you'd think might help but his record for the stable last year was only 2 winners from 25 runners so he's hardly a "job jockey"

Re: Chepstow 24/03/08 2.25 Quillygham 20/1 spor 7.5 pts e.w A bit of a punt as only have one bumper run to go on so no idea of hurdles ability but shaped with a fair bit of promise that day when big odds to finish second, staying on in an average bumper. It could well be quite significant that they have put it in a hurdle now knowing they could lose its novice status at this stage of the season, it looks a toughish race to do it in with Quartano a main danger just to name one but could surprise one or two for the inform big stable for whom its rare to see horses go off at big prices.

Re: Chepstow 24/03/08

Event 2.25 Chepstow
Selection Quartano (BOG)
Strength 10/10
Date 24/03/2008
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.62 (Back)
Reasoning This looks an interesting race, but I think there are negatives that rule out a lot of the runners. The one I have decided to side with is the Carl Lewellyn trained Quartano. He won a Class 1 bumper at Cheltenham last year but hasnt shown that same form this year. However, he has been contesting better races and this represents a drop down in class. He has won in heavy going so that should suit and he has champion jockey Tony McCoy on board. His 3rd to Pigeon Island 2 runs ago showed he was coming back to form and this looks easier.

Event 3.35 Chepstow
Selection Nudge and Nurdle
Strength 10/10
Date 24/03/2008
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 4.00 (Back)
Reasoning Nigel Twiston Davies runs this one in a small field and I think everything looks right for this horse. He was a little unlucky last time to not finish closer when he was hampered in a Listed race at the Cheltenham festival. Before that, his form was a lot better than what would be required to win this race. After winning his chasing debut at Kelso, he has been highly tried and been found wanting. I expect the drop in class and small field to help him a lot and he should go close.

Event 5.20 Chepstow
Selection Jokers Legacy (BOG)
Strength 10/10
Date 24/03/2008
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.75 (Back)
Reasoning Victor Dartnall does well with his bumper horses and I expect Jokers Legacy to win again today under a penalty. The field looks poor and I think it would take an above average newcomer to overcome the lack of experience and beat the likely favourite. 1st time out he was only narrowly beaten by Nulato, who went on to win again. Then 2nd time out he won by a decent 3 lengths on softer ground and should improve on that run. He is proven on the going and with experience on his side, he should go close.

3.00 Ask the Umpire - ew @ 13/2 sportingbet Sportingbet are the standout price for this one who seems to have conditions in his favour today. A course and distance winner, he performs well in this grade in this soft ground. His record in class 5 on soft or heavy reads 1 1 4 1 2 3 2 1 - a strike rate of 50%. The 4th place in that sequence was over a trip of 3 miles - too far for him. Of the dangers, Jupon Vert looks out of form and Roaring Water hasnt won over fences before, although he has Richard Johnson riding today which you'd think might help but his record for the stable last year was only 2 winners from 25 runners so he's hardly a "job jockey"
That stunk - drifted like a barge and run a shocker, never travelled and never in the race. :@

Event5.20 Chepstow
SelectionJokers Legacy (BOG)
Strength10/10
Date24/03/2008
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 2.75 (Back)
ReasoningVictor Dartnall does well with his bumper horses and I expect Jokers Legacy to win again today under a penalty. The field looks poor and I think it would take an above average newcomer to overcome the lack of experience and beat the likely favourite. 1st time out he was only narrowly beaten by Nulato' date= who went on to win again. Then 2nd time out he won by a decent 3 lengths on softer ground and should improve on that run. He is proven on the going and with experience on his side, he should go close.
this bad boy followed him home, 2nd @ 14/1:eek
won that well.:beer