Beating HE a step at a time. First step - freerolls

DM99

This might sound like something stupid, but I am trying to improve my poker game starting at the level I can afford: the freeroll. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong because I keep on getting knocked out early. My last freeroll just finished I was dealt J-10o in LP, raised to 3xBB, 2 callers. Flop comes Q9-rag-rag for an OE straight draw. All checked, I raise, SB calls. He keeps checking, I keep betting out. I am all-in, nothing hits, he turns over 5-3 to win with pair 5. :wall This kind of thing keeps on repeating: I am unable to knock them out and they win somehow with a crappy hand. From my experience you cannot really bluff since you always get callers. People call and raise with virtually any high card - rag combination, and go all in on any pair. Position is unknown to them. I play fairly tight: the premium hands in EP broadening to suited connectors and semi-connectors, high connectors, low pairs and picture cards in LP. I see about 20% of the flops. In short, I am just totally frustrated and have NFI anymore. Also, how much is the standard of play at low-limit HE like the freerolls? My money experience at the low levels is extremely limited due to my very low deposits and crappy skills at the time.

Re: Beating HE a step at a time. First step - freerolls

This might sound like something stupid, but I am trying to improve my poker game starting at the level I can afford: the freeroll. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong because I keep on getting knocked out early. My last freeroll just finished I was dealt J-10o in LP, raised to 3xBB, 2 callers. Flop comes Q9-rag-rag for an OE straight draw. All checked, I raise, SB calls. He keeps checking, I keep betting out. I am all-in, nothing hits, he turns over 5-3 to win with pair 5. :wall This kind of thing keeps on repeating: I am unable to knock them out and they win somehow with a crappy hand. From my experience you cannot really bluff since you always get callers. People call and raise with virtually any high card - rag combination, and go all in on any pair. Position is unknown to them. I play fairly tight: the premium hands in EP broadening to suited connectors and semi-connectors, high connectors, low pairs and picture cards in LP. I see about 20% of the flops. In short, I am just totally frustrated and have NFI anymore. Also, how much is the standard of play at low-limit HE like the freerolls? My money experience at the low levels is extremely limited due to my very low deposits and crappy skills at the time.
why the heck did you put yourself all in with nothing:unsure

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.