Commited to call?

Honeymonster

was just wondering what you guys/gals thought of this (a situation I find myself in alot when I get to a final table, or 5 handed on a SST): Your stacked and you try to steal the blinds from the Cut Off or Button (say bet 3 BB's), only for the short stack on the BB/SB to push all in. Q: What odds do you generally want to see to make the call (when you have nothing - say 57)? I supose the answer lies in what the blinds are, and how calling and losing effects your stack, in relation to the average stack!? If I'm getting 2 to 1 or better on the call, for me it is an automatic call [i figure I'm a 2 to 1 dog vs something like AK/AQ/KQ with my 58 (if they have an over pair that's just tough!)] So the typical secenario for me is something like this: First scenario: I have 50k (chip leader or close) On the button (in an unraised pot) I bet 6k (with blinds 1k/2k) and the BB with 12k left behind (excluding there 2k in the middle) pushes. I have a bag of spanners (58/34/T3) and it's 8k to me with 21k in the middle. So roughly 2.5 to 1 to call. I have to call. Second scenario: Same as the first, but the allin push is for 20k (so 14k into a 29k pot) - 2 to 1 pot odds. This for me is a call (unless the BB is a total rock). Third scenario: Same as first, but the all-in push is 30k (so 24k into a 39k pot) - 1.6 to 1. This is a clear pass to me. So basically, I think I'm playing scenario's 1 and 3 correctly, and that scenario 2 is a 'grey'......I generally make the call, but is this too loose (in your opinion)? I supose the bottom line is 2 times in 3 your stack in slashed from 50k to 30k bringing you back into the field, but that 1 time in 3 you rocket to 70k (clear chip leader), and instill a little fear into your opponents who don't want to tangle with you and get busted outside the top 3 (the big money zone). You comments/views on this would be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Re: Commited to call?

was just wondering what you guys/gals thought of this (a situation I find myself in alot when I get to a final table' date=' or 5 handed on a SST): [img']http://www.furnesspoker.co.uk/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
Seems about right to me - 2:1 or more and I am calling however....... I am not putting 24K into a pot with crap if it represents half my stack (or thereabouts) I wouldn't want to be calling in that situation for more than about 20% of my stack if I got caught stealing. Nice post:ok Damo

Re: Commited to call? yeah stts especially should be played with survival in mind :ok so i wouldnt be calling a large pot like that with rags,not only are you likely to lose your stack but your also bringing him back into it. even with the 8k raise your then giving him a 24k stack and yours will be down to 36k .this looks a lot less promising than you on 50k and him keeping his blinds ,which is why i think your main problem here is the raise with a "bag of spanners". you know the shorty is likely to push with any half decent hand in this situation as his m is about 4 and your putting yourself in a situation where a third of your stack can go on a hand you dont need to get involved in. yes you have odds to call and technically it would be correct to but only because you involved yourself in the first place. after all in this situation you either win 3k or likely lose 14k and i wouldnt be doing it without at least a defendable hand like mid connectors/semiconnectors ,2 face cards etc . after all you have the stack to wait it out a little rather than put yourself back in with the rest of the bunch:ok

Re: Commited to call? I would do almost the same.. Scenarios 1 and 3 are pretty clear to me, call and fold are the moves there. In the 2nd scenario, is an insta fold for me because i dont want to risk half of my stack with garbage. When a situation like that arises and im chipleader i always think.... well, ok, i lost 6k, i will get them back with just 2 blind steals or 1 reraise so, no problem and fold Regards

• 2 weeks later...