Definition of different race types

Re: Definition of different race types I've seen summary explanations only, of course detail would be appreciated! What I can say (and mind my ignorance and sorry for any mistake) and quoting Maiden Race - A race for non-winners. Novice - A horse in the early stages of its career. An inexperienced horseman. A category for horse or rider who has not yet achieved a number of successes. Claiming Race - A race in which the horses are entered subject to claim for a specified price. Each horse entered is eligible to be purchased at a set price. Claims must be made before the race and only by licensed owners or their agents who have a horse registered to race at that meeting or who have received a claim certificate from the stewards. Stakes race - A race for which the owner usually must pay a fee to run a horse. Some stakes races are by invitation and require no payment or fee. SteepleChase - A race in which horses are required to jump over a series of obstacles on the course. Also known as a 'Chase'.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.