Lingfield - 16th Jan

12.40 - 6f Handicap Some more information from Derek Shaw's yard. My horse, Desert Light, looks like he might be in with a pretty good chance here. Here is the information I have been given:

"I think if he gets the run of the race he could well have a chance." was Derek's initial reaction when asked how he felt Desert Light would go tomorrow at Lingfield. "I'd have preferred to be drawn a little bit lower but in truth in an eight runner field it probably isn't going to make a lot of difference being drawn in stall 8 given the way he needs to be ridden." he told us. "I'll be asking Kelly to drop him out straight away, get across to the inside and try and scrape the paint off the inside rail from as early as possible. It's a bit of a gamble riding horses this way but I think if they go off at a good pace things could just play into his hands." Derek explained: "Sometimes in these Apprentice races they can go off a bit too quick a bit too soon and I think that might happen tomorrow. Hopefully if they are going a stride or two too fast they will sweep off the rail as they turn into the straight and if we've managed to get the rail position we could be just in the right place to take advantage." "Added to which, if they have gone too fast then hopefully a few at the front end might be stopping and again that would obviously suit us." Derek went on: "Things need to drop right for a horse like Desert Light but when they do he is perfectly capable of taking advantage and I think this race might just be one that could fall into place for him. Of course guessing how races are going to unfold is notoriously tricky though!" "Desert Light himself though is really well. I rode him in a piece of work on Saturday morning and he gave me a pretty good feel and I'm sure he's well enough to go there and do himself justice." Asked about the jockey booking said: "These Apprentice races can at time be tricky to get a good reliable jockey. I know Kelly [Harrison] well and she has ridden at least one winner for me in the past and is perfectly capable of doing the job in this race." Derek finished by saying: "If - and it is quite a big if - things fall how I think they might do I think he set up to run quite a decent race on Wednesday and should it all fall into place he might be good enough to win this." Derek was clearly hopeful that Desert Light was going to run a big race - but with the obvious proviso that things would need to fall into place for him. We think a medium sized win bet looks the must prudent approach for tomorrow. The race is due off at 12-40 and will be covered by Attheraces. Good Luck to all shareholders.
Some more information about the same race. Last week, the same guys gave a 9/2 winner in Almaty Express:
Not a race to get particularly excited about. Despite there only being eight runners it is difficult to confidently rule out any of them but by the same token none look to arrive with particularly water tight claims. The recent C/D form of Musical Script and Lost All Alone makes quite a persuasive case in the context of this race. Musical Script was second here behind Bond Becks in a much better looking race than this last month (3rd and 4th have won since) and a repeat of that back here would certainly see him go close. Lost All Alone won a modest contest here two runs ago but has conspicuously run both his best races at this C/D. He might just need to step up again on what he achieved winning here but he could well be a bit of each way value in an eight runner field. The top three all have claims but none actually presents a particularly strong case. Rosie Cross might be the best of them but her form is a bit erratic and is certainly not a horse to be taking a short price about. Desert Light comres from the bang in-form Derek Shaw stable and that combined with the fact that he is a C/D winner gives him some fairly sound sound claims at this level. He has not yet really sparkled this All Weather season but is the type who can find his form and land this sort of contest. Not a race to be steaming into and the nod goes to Musical Script. Lost All Alone and Desert Light could be the ones to give him mosty to do.
LOST ALL ALONE - 5pts WIN DESERT LIGHT - 5pts WIN

Re: Lingfield - 16th Jan 14:20 Lingfield Banjo Bandit Won well LTO over what appeared to be an inadequate trip. This is quite a step up in trip, but looks like it will really suit and bring out the best in what appears to be a progressive sort, who could prove worth following on the all weather. Mark Johnston's Boomtown is the main danger, and a reverse forecast also looks a good option.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.