poker / new year resolutions 2008

teaulc

Re: poker / new year resolutions

You won't learn anything from Sky :loon Biggest donkfest out there :loon Shame cos the core of the "expert" presenters came over from Poker Night Live and that was, IMO, great education :ok Anyway :welcome to PL - look forward to seeing you on the tables :ok
! Bit of a sweeping statement GAF? Sky Poker spends millions on producing a channel and providing those 'experts' to help new players get a better understanding of the game. The standard has increased a great deal over the last year, as has the quality of the software and the strength of the offer. The functionality will increase a great deal more in the coming months with the launch of a download app, multitables, etc. Believe me, Sky Poker knows where it needs to improve its software and the roadmap to do so is very much in place. That said, 8,500 unique players play every day and that number is increasing, so while it may or may not be popular with some who are more experienced, it is extremely popular. A number of players are now making a six figure annual income through Sky Poker, so it's never clear to me why talented players want to play against more experienced fields in internet poker, as opposed to lesser experienced. ;) Regards Des (who admits to being Head of Sky Poker in my day job.)

Re: poker / new year resolutions 2008 I never knew of your Sky Poker role Des - is it recent? (my comments were made just over a year ago) - I hope so and that then there is some hope of it being turned around (if it hasn't been already - I confess I never watch SkyPoker anymore). I agree that if your poker is solely about making money, then you want to play against the worst players you can and my experience of SkyPoker was that it has more than its fair share of bad players. However the other side to making money (in the short term) is to improve your poker skills to make more money over the longer term. My experience of the TV programming though was that its focus was on Mass Entertainment and not on Poker Education - with the establishment of SkyPoker at about the same time as the demise of Poker Night Live (perhaps not the best on the Mass Entertainment side, but great on the Poker Education side) it was extremely disappointing (for me) that SkyPoker apeared to totally abandon the Poker Eduction element of the programming. It appeared to be just a string of bad beats, where the presenters didnt seem to be allowed to criticise (constructively) the way someone played a hand and seemed to just have to keep saying how unlucky players were getting (whether they were or not). On the poker side - I wasn't a fan of browser only - I kept having problems with being logged off (timed out) whilst waiting for games to start, the browser wasnt particularly condusive to multitabling (i.e. the tables didnt pop up on your turn) and the structure of the tournaments was absolutely crazy in the speed the blinds went up. It sounds promising and hopeful if you are launching a stand alone application in the future :ok

Re: poker / new year resolutions 2008 lol...sorry GAF, I didn't realise it was posted over a year ago, my bad! I took over around three months ago and lots of changes are happening with the product and on the channel. Education will become the big TV priority in 2009. Look out for an X factor style poker show in 2009 also, in addition to an on the road UK tournament reporting show...