Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series 'Thunderstorms' here - as in Brisbane eg - usually means a right, royal soaking at 5.00pm when the light would be going anyway. Sangakarra 270 and Lankan win looks most likely. Maybe. Also agree about Bopara. He should be used as a surprise first change with the new ball occasionally... give him three overs in that situation. Not as a poor man's Collingwood (which is saying something). Or play Shah and be done with it. OK, his fielding is generally livelier but nothing like a real deal breaker. Might as well play Gary Platt! Ah, it's old hat but maybe Ramps should be there. One chap in England who can go on to get the big 150s?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series 486-8 & a lead of 135. Personally I think bowling them out heightens Englands chances of losing as it gives them longer to occupy the crease :unsure Depends on the supposed thunder but I can see England setting SL about 100 I've got enough on but I'm tempted with SL again :loon

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Couldnt resist it, layed the draw @ 1.21 again :unsure Theyre saying 80% chance of rain, but they said similar today....& in all the reports I've read it dont mention no rain, friend ;) Full mornings session, Murali have them 3 or 4 down by lunch ?? Early start, 4am UK. Only 13 overs bowled so the ball still relatively new. The key in my eyes is if theres 67 overs play for the new ball, thats what destroyed us last week :\

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Lost out on the 2nd test :( but hopeful of making a kiliing in Galle. Match starts tuesday, but the ground isnt ready. Theres lots of building work to be finished & heavy rain of the flooding kind has hampered preparation work. The outfield was under several inches earlier but theyve had industrial pumps on shifting the water into tankers, but its still very muddy. My first fear was getting the rollers to the square but apparently theyve still been able to get there. This is very difficult to judge, as this isnt a normal test match. For one thing, as the square was ruined by the tsunami its been relaid, & although I cant find a scorecard, theres been one first class match played recently & it was described as a slow & low. Normally in Asia if you're going into the final test with the home side 1-up you would fear the worst regarding play prospects, but this match is essentially seen as the re-awakening of Galle post tsunami.....kind of a new beginning. Therefore it will be seen as very bad omen-wise if its a washout. It is going to be a very emotional occasion & I can see Sri Lanka busting a gut to get out there & play, & its very possible they could take their eye off the ball here. Theres talk from both sides of just 'playing on what we're given & making the best of it' & although the forecast on Accuweather is very poor, the thunderstorms tend to come late in the day over there & whilst I can see many interruptions, I still see enough play for a result. I've spoken to 2 lads in Galle today & both say the same thing....the grounds like a building site, its very wet but also very warm so it could cancel itself out in a way. My theory is that a damp track could well aid Englands seamers & in a way negate Muralitharan, & might be like playing on an April English wicket...without the hail obviously :D The draw continues to head south on Betfair, currently 1.75 to back, & whilst I've not committed all my money on it as a 1st day washout would be good for a lot of people particularly the builders, still leaving easily enough for a result...I can see a 2.5/3 day test here in truth....I've layed a significant amount of that draw. The forecasts bad yes, but its too early for these prices & this is not a normal test match

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Despite getting 12-1 MoM in Colombo, came out slightly down. Buying Bopara runs didn't help :wall. Agree with Swoops and think this test has an unusual 'feel' to it. England will have to be 'positive' anyway, but think Lanka might join them in this in looking at the game as an exhibition of cricket. Bit hard to believe, perhaps, in this hard-nosed professional era of test rankings etc but it might be worth forgeting series context and the wider scheme of things and see this as good-natured, full-on cricket at its best. If low-ish scoring, and with Hoggard and Harmison, England look well-placed and the stand-out 6-1 with Bet365 is big. England win @ 6-1 at 12pts

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Apparently it was raining in Galle an hour ago, lightning & the full works. That said it was swelteringly hot today & has dried out a lot which makes the whole thing very confusing. Aggers on the BBC has said that when the covers came off the hot sun changed the pitch colour before their eyes, & Vaughan has said its soft but the surrounding practice wickets are harder. The money going on the draw on Betfair is bordering on unbelievable IMO, & the England price, currently 11.5 is virtually the same. FACT: Nobody knows anything about this pitch as its been relaid, other than a warm up game reported as 'slow & low' FACT: Both sides have publicly stated their intentions of getting the game on, no matter what the conditions, due to this being a poignant, emotional occasion FACT: Although the start time has been delayed by 2 hours, & more rain could mean most, if not all of day 1 could be lost....this time can to an extent be made up. Also a 4 day match means a 150 follow on target. The delayed start time is also to give the groundstaff more time to finish preparations FACT: When its not raining its bloody hot. Before tonights rain today was sweltering & had made a huge difference to the ground. The pitch though, will not have been prepared properly as it will have been rolled to death whilst still soft, therefore the heat of the sun will bake the top & crack it whilst its still soft underneath, creating a crater like appearance & inconsistent bounce FACT: England are looking at 5 bowlers with Prior batting at 6. The strip should suit seamers aking that 10/1+ madness I firmly believe the big hitters have got involved on Betfair by just going on the short prices, & I firmly believe these prices are very wrong. You have to make your mind up yourself but so far I've layed the draw @ 1.77, 1.53 & 1.52 & backed England @ 11.0.......& for me I'm heavily, heavily involved

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Draw does seem too short for me considering the unkown quantity of the pitch and the surroundings but also the circumstances. England being 1-0 down have to go for it all surely and the likelihood of a result is therefore increased imo from that perspective as well. I am on the draw in the series already and also a small bit on 1-1 so will leave it although laying the draw is tempting with lowish liability and of course the strong chance of a Sri Lanka victory given that they may well benefit if England become more adventureous as the game goes on.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Going with 4 here alongside the outrights which are all still in play. I would get involved with this draw laying but the forecast doesn't inspire me much. I wish all you layers well though. 10pts Sri Lanka 1st Innings Lead 8/11 Totesport Word is that England are going to stick Matt Prior up to 6 so they can play 5 bowlers in this match and if that happens Swann looks like being the 5th bowler. That isn't likely to help us much in the 1st innings you wouldn't think as he's likely to come into the game later. Even if we don't go down that route we still look a bit suspect overall with the bat and we have a tail the length of a crocodile. Sri Lanka have the dangerous Murali and Vaas and Malinga could be a handful here too. Both their star men with the bat are in decent nick too and at half time it's hard to see Sri Lanka being behind unless Hoggard rips through them again. 8/11 looks a fair price. 10pts M.Jayawardene to beat I.Bell (1st Inns Only) 4/5 Stan James History here should go out of the window after the tsunami but it's worth remembering Jayawardene averaged 84 here before the disaster hit. He also comes in here bang in form after his 195 at Colombo. Ian Bell's played well in this series and while he's improving all the time, he's not yet in Mahela's class. Bell's in good touch but could be fallable in any indifferent bounce and with the quality and form Mahela has he's the pick between those 2. 5pts ew P.Jayawardene Top Sri Lanka Batsman 12/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) (1st Inns Only) Prasanna Jayawardene looks a decent batsman and he's looked very good in this series and indeed did in the series in Australia too. The Sri Lankan wicket keeper made a rescuing 51 in the 1st innings of the 1st test which he followed up with a solid 20 in the 2nd inns of that match. He then hit 79 in SL's only innings in Colombo so he's batting well against this bowling attack and with Sri Lanka's batting lineup still revolving around 3 men the young keeper looks decent ew value. 5pts ew M.Prior Top England Batsman 12/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) (1st Inns only) I'm not Matt Prior's biggest fan and that's an understatement but he's having a decent series here. He shitout in the 1st innings at Kandy but in the 2nd innings he made a solid almost match saving 63 and then followed that up with 79 in his only innings in Colombo. I would imagine this good form has come because he is playing for his place in the side but with England's batting lineup struggling for consistency at 12/1 Prior is big each way value.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series England have inserted, 5 mins to go, draw odds on the drift. I think things could get difficult. Where was that test match where pitch was deemed too dangerous (Windies?). If it breaks through this crust then could be a nightmare. Somehow they'll keep the game going but perhaps a lot of goodwill will play a part.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Jack Bannister has absolutely slated England for bowling & leaving themselves open to Murali last, but Botham says he'd have bowled which just proves how hard to judge this is :unsure SL started well & england poorly, then England got the benefit of 2 poorish decisions & possibly one that went against them, but you'd have to think they'll want SL for under 200 ?? :) Looks like a 180-6 type day & England needing early wickets tomorrow, particularly with todays times all over the shop. Very happy betting wise so far :ok although the draws taking some shifting @ 1.52 :unsure fcuk it, I've layed it again :\

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Layed the draw at 1.37 just before Harmison got Sangakkara ;) caught by Monty by jove !! :rollin How unlucky is that ?? :notworthy Harmy looks the man & england need wickets as over 250 looks a decent score, as this wicket is not hard all the way through meaning the heat with bake & crack the top IMO, producing cracks as we go on & inconsistent bounce. Fancy allowing Murali at you last when its your choice ?? Hard call to make but Vaughan has left himself open there :unsure The wicket will just dry on top IMO & obviously its not going to get wet other than sweating under sheets. IMO the market is just going on this wicket staying the same throughout....obviously my wallets hoping it wont ;)

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Draws into 1.2 !! Its been hosing down since stumps & certainly the Betfair forum thinks no chance of play. I spoke to my mate in Galle earlier & hes staying with our ex-pro whos played tests & he thought at that point no play before 11am, losing 1.5 hours.....but that was 5 hours ago. Sitting tight

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Need wickets. If SL get 300 its looking difficult. On the funny side though you have to think of the panic of Betfair punters who backed the draw into 1.2 thinking washout today on the reliability of a bloke saying saying it was that bad he was thinking of bringing his flights home forward :lol

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series I don't think the price on the draw will move much now unless England start to collapse in spectacular fashion when they bat. Too many "lump on" punters have backed the draw at ridiculously short odds and they got no choice but to sit tight. Just had a glance through the 'official' thread on BetFair and it's amusing how little interest there is in the match itself - post after post about weather, possibility of washout, what direction the clouds are coming from. I think maybe some of them are getting just a little too blinkered and could be sweating a bit time come day 5...

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series A lot was assumed that after last nights rain it was a washout today, & it was described to me as 'the worst f*****g thunderstorm you've ever seen'......yet only about 90 minutes was lost !! So going on that scenario its only really match time rain that massively affects the test IMO. I firmly believe that England have not done as well on this pitch as they should have done & theyve easily made enough chances to now have been batting for 30-odd overs. I think as the top dries it will get worse & harder to bat on. If play resumes relatively promptly then SL will certainly want to bat until lunch & 500, & I reckon theyre confident of bowling out a tired England for under 300. If it rains all day then can declare knowing the follow on is now -150 & have 2 days at England & having a crack at defending the 230. In the 2nd test SL didnt overbowl Muralitharan knowing there was a 3rd back to back test & now he & the other bowlers have had a further 2 days rest whereas England have fried in the heat. Jayawardene has also piled on pressure with a few comments tonight. I'm on enough already, but SL @ 5.3 looks decent to me, I'm not taking anymore though as I'm in enough already & as theres so many big hitters on just backing the low odds theres no way out for anybody :lol My book stands @: draw -229pnts England +500pnts Sri Lanka +390pnts

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series I'm happy with how I sit in this test match so far. Thinking about backing SL to win this match but I understand it's currently raining in Galle and the forecast is putting me off. I hope there's a result for you Swoops but I think I'll sit tight :$.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Draw layers and Sri Lankan backers in a good position now providing the weather stays away. Shocking effort from England's batsman who have failed badly in this series in conditions that are good for batting. On pitches like this it should be a golden chance to make huge 100s, we do not even have one. Shah must be in pieces not getting in this team and you have to say that guys like Ramprakash and Key (who went up in my estimation a lot last year) will not be too happy either. The selectors showed their ruthless sign when they dropped Strauss altogether, I wonder what they will do in New Zealand?

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series As a punter thats managed to read the game correctly, assuming it doesnt rain for 3 sessions, I'm a pretty happy man today....but as an England fan there cant be many worse days than this :\ When Jayawardene accused England of 'giving up' after day 2 you'd hope that would inspire a bit of spirit but when professionals go down like that......well, words fail me tbh. I always felt that it wasnt a great track & 499-8 is well above par.....but it certainly isnt an 81 all out deck either. England had the chances to get Lanka for about 300 IMO but to show no spine in the way they batted is horrendous. It feels a defining moment & changes will probably be made. I cant see how KP can be blamed, or Bell tbh as that looked totally Cooks fault. I'm not convinced about Cook tbh, never have been, he doesnt tick enough boxes for me....poor fielder, no shots on leg side behind mid wicket etc, but at least hes the right age. It seems ironic that Prior was having his praises shouted before this test & now the assumption is that hes finished. Lose to NZ away mind you & even Vaughany might be in trouble :sad England bowled with too much width & too short, as ever, & SL have avbsolutely hammered them here. I'm sitting tight as I believe an on time start tomorrow will see SL go 1.1-ish & I think 3 sessions would have to be lost to save England. When a pragmatic bloke like Colly says "it'd be miraculous to get a draw from here".......then the goose is cooked :\

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series

As a punter thats managed to read the game correctly, assuming it doesnt rain for 3 sessions, I'm a pretty happy man today....but as an England fan there cant be many worse days than this :\ When Jayawardene accused England of 'giving up' after day 2 you'd hope that would inspire a bit of spirit but when professionals go down like that......well, words fail me tbh. I always felt that it wasnt a great track & 499-8 is well above par.....but it certainly isnt an 81 all out deck either. England had the chances to get Lanka for about 300 IMO but to show no spine in the way they batted is horrendous. It feels a defining moment & changes will probably be made. I cant see how KP can be blamed, or Bell tbh as that looked totally Cooks fault. I'm not convinced about Cook tbh, never have been, he doesnt tick enough boxes for me....poor fielder, no shots on leg side behind mid wicket etc, but at least hes the right age. It seems ironic that Prior was having his praises shouted before this test & now the assumption is that hes finished. Lose to NZ away mind you & even Vaughany might be in trouble :sad England bowled with too much width & too short, as ever, & SL have avbsolutely hammered them here. I'm sitting tight as I believe an on time start tomorrow will see SL go 1.1-ish & I think 3 sessions would have to be lost to save England. When a pragmatic bloke like Colly says "it'd be miraculous to get a draw from here".......then the goose is cooked :\
Words sort of fail you really don't they. Jonathan Agnew made a good point and indeed a worrying point in his blog today about the childish nature of the England side. Let's face it we've been pisspoor right throughout 2007 but today was a new low. I see what you say about Cook but I have to say I'm a huge fan but he's had a poor series. One guy I'm really not a fan of despite his decent series here is Matt Prior. As a keeper he's worse than Jones and that was saying something and I'm a traditionalist that you pick the best keeper and always have been and that's Chris Read by far. The pressure is really on us in New Zealand. South Africa picked them off easily and we'll be expected to do the same. Time will tell I guess but Peter Moores has certainly got a job on his hands now.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series Don't suppose there'll be much change in selection thinking for the NZ test squad. Bring in Tremlett for Swann perhaps. They'll probably play four seamers in one or two of the Tests. You'd have to scratch your head to think what positive changes could be made. Will England go better in the follow-on knock? Often happens. Or are they one foot in the departure lounge? I'm about even on the series so it'll be win or lose a bit with BUY Vaughan runs @ 40 at 1pt With Sideshow hanging around for 70 balls yesterday, this pitch should be a 250-280 3rd innings/4th day wicket. England to get through the day with rain interruptions and lose by an innings and 150 tomorrow. Or... all out by lunch!

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka v England Test series 103-1 with the last 2 sessions wiped out. Difficult to know what to think tbh I could have traded out last night & didnt so may well regret that but I'll be sitting tight now, & the following info doesnt help me but it might help someone else: Spoke to my mate in Galle whos stopping with our ex-pro, whos played 2 tests & 5 ODIs for SL so has contacts at the ground & in the dressing room. He told me that the 2nd day would lose just an hour & a half instead of the predicted total washout, & he was right then so I trust him now. The word from the Lankan dressing room is that they think there is zero chance of a full days play so it makes it very hard for them to win. They feel the pitch has lost a bit of zip (although the covers will help) & they fully expect a draw from here. I know which player said this but they tend to get in trouble for this type of thing :(