Newbies(2) Questions

redhotdave

I've been playing 0.25/0.05 SNG's on Sky, and getting in the money 60% of the time. When should I move up to £1/0.10 ??? I've also been playing the Sky Freerolls, with 1500 starting chips. On more than a few occasions, still in Level 1, with chip leader about 3000, a new player moves in with a stack in the range 10000 to 15000. This means either he has doubled up virtually every hand or he is a Sky 'plant'. Any thoughts on this.

Re: Newbies(2) Questions Dave with regards to sit go's I've played them reguarly on stan jamesfor 2 years $5, $10, $20 and see no real differece in the skill level at these buyins. I think if you've been playing regularly at your level (at least 100 sng's) finishing in the money 60% you are successful enough to move up and I honestly don't think you'll see any difference in gameplay.

Re: Newbies(2) Questions

I've also been playing the Sky Freerolls, with 1500 starting chips. On more than a few occasions, still in Level 1, with chip leader about 3000, a new player moves in with a stack in the range 10000 to 15000. This means either he has doubled up virtually every hand or he is a Sky 'plant'. Any thoughts on this.
In freerolls its not unusual for 4 or 5 players to go all in on the first hand of the tourney. This would give the winner 6000-7500, then he could take out a couple more 1500 stacks and this would give him 10k or so in about 5 minutes. :ok

Re: Newbies(2) Questions Moving up the scales in my opinion is more about how you feel about the possible loss of the cash invoved. Your game will change if you cant afford the losses thats why people go on about bankroll management and to gradualy build it up to the right ammount before stepping up thus creating a comfort zone. Ive got a mate who plays $50 STT and barely knows the hand rankings order, he does ok though because he can see the scared money a mile of. As for the freerolls Sometimes I prefer to try and get to 10,000 chips in five minutes rather than sit about hoping to get hands for 2 hours. Could do with some way of working out hourly rate of returns playing this way as opposed to the "correct" way. I am quite sure it pays better! Of course once you get the chips you play the "correct way"

Re: Newbies(2) Questions i agree with everybody else really:ok. the skill levels dont go up a huge amount at each step up the ladder and good bankroll management is a great way to tell when to go up a level. if you keep a good record at a level you then make enough to move up to the next level.if you were good at the level lower the chances are you will be at least able to tread water at the next level but probably your results will be as good as before.you then spend a while getting your bankroll up to the next level.this way if a level is to hard for you it becomes obvious because you bankroll goes down and you have to go back to the lower level. i use a figure of about 25x the buy in is at least how much i need in my account ,so at $1 you need at least $25 for $10 sngs you would need $250. this way you get to learn the game with no real chance of going broke,if you cant beat a level you go back down. like everybody has said never play for a amount that you would feel uncomfortable losing, it will effect your game badly. good luck if you do step up:ok

Re: Newbies(2) Questions If you can reload the BR if it goes bust then 20 buy-ins are fine if you are an experienced player, then 20 buy-ins are probably (barely) fine if you are an inexperienced player and I am guessing that the original poster is, then 20 buy-ins are not enough IMHO, to allow him/her to play lots of games to get experience. Just my thoughs Damo