Pokerstars, too lucky?

Alienware

H people, i'm not a good poker player at all, just a novice who keeps himself busy with a Sit&Go between an in-play event and another on BF. I consider my level as "trying to get decent", nothing more. So far i've always played on BF Poker being spanked big time, honest. Well, a few hours ago i've opened an account on pokerstars and i've played 3 Sit&Go: one time 1st and two times 2nd. Too good to be real...i've to say that my opponents were quite pathetic so far but i've noticed an inusual high level of luck on my side...almost every flop was good news for me. It's a bit suspect, damn. I am wondering if there is something like a "new comer bias" or something like that. I'm just too paranoid or ...? A/W

Re: Pokerstars, too lucky? Just had a thought: When you have been playing at a site for ages maybe you become too comfortable and start playing , as it were, automatically. Bad habits will slip in and your standard of play may well deteriorate as you become more and more blase and start multi tabling to boot. Join a new site and it is all so different...your attention is re-doubled and, for the first few games at least, you will be playing your top notch best poker. There have often been threads alleging a bias towards new players...this doesn't make sense really. People will say it is to get you hooked on that particular site by letting you have a quick short term profit. But what then for the site's regular players? Surely they would abandon ship immediately when they realise new players are being deliberately dealt better hands? No! There's no fix going on here. It's just that you are playing with the utmost concentration each time you join a new site. Makes sense to me.

Re: Pokerstars, too lucky?

Just had a thought: When you have been playing at a site for ages maybe you become too comfortable and start playing , as it where, automatically. Bad habits will slip in and your standard of play may well deteriorate as you become more and more blase and start multi tabling to boot. Join a new site and it is all so different...your attention is re-doubled and, for the first few games at least, you will be playing your top notch best poker.
Totally agree with this. I used to move around alot when playing STT and always had good results to begin with. You need to concentrate more as it's a new site plus the general excitement of playing somewhere new:loon Since playing cash games this, strangely, no longer seems to work...GODDAMIT:@

Re: Pokerstars, too lucky?

H people, i'm not a good poker player at all, just a novice who keeps himself busy with a Sit&Go between an in-play event and another on BF. I consider my level as "trying to get decent", nothing more. So far i've always played on BF Poker being spanked big time, honest. Well, a few hours ago i've opened an account on pokerstars and i've played 3 Sit&Go: one time 1st and two times 2nd. Too good to be real...i've to say that my opponents were quite pathetic so far but i've noticed an inusual high level of luck on my side...almost every flop was good news for me. It's a bit suspect, damn. I am wondering if there is something like a "new comer bias" or something like that. I'm just too paranoid or ...? A/W
The thought that sites would bias new players is total rhubarb as someone else says there would be no loyal players then as they just get bad beats unusually consistently. My own experience on Stars is i've had an account with them for over 2yrs but only really started using it for the last 4weeks working on my SNG game so i made a $50 deposit, now, if your theory was right this $50 would have been well over $250 maybe $350 by now through better than average luck. Well, no, it went down to a measely $5, the complete opposite of your theory, i didn't get any amazing luck, i just played rubbish. I then altered parts of my SNG game, didn't re-deposit and have now worked that $5 up to $150 in the last 2weeks. So my experience is the complete opposite to yours, which suggests that there is no bias to new players.

Re: Pokerstars, too lucky? I play sng,s on about half a dozen sites (small stakes $5.00) I make a stedy profit on all of them apart from stars where I seem to just keep my head above water. I find the play on stars to be far superior to the other sites, even the $1.00 games on stars can go on for 90minutes at times.

Re: Pokerstars, too lucky? Hi again people, thank you for sharing your points of view. Actually it was a streak of luck, today i hadn't such generous flops but i still managed to earn some money. Regarding PokerStars and how it compares to BF poker (the only poker room where i spent enough time to have an opinion - apart B&W Poker but that's another matter... -), imho, the level of players in "medium"-stake Sit&Go tournaments (let's say between 20$ and 35$) is not as "high" as on BF. But maybe they improve a lot going up. Anyway, thank you again for your appreciated feedbacks, A/W