Poker odds

McG

Dear All Firstly, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section. Any idea on where I can find details on the odds of particular hands cropping up in Texas Hold'em? Our regular monthly home game (6 players, about 100 hands a night) has a separate pot for the person having a straight flush, and it lasted about a year before going last month. I have googled and seen the odds of having a straight flush in regular 5-card poker is 72,192-1. So is it simply a case of including the other 2 cards as variants (bringing the odds down by a factor of 21 to about 3,437-1). All help gratefully received. McG :gimme

Re: Poker odds

I have googled and seen the odds of having a straight flush in regular 5-card poker is 72,192-1. So is it simply a case of including the other 2 cards as variants (bringing the odds down by a factor of 21 to about 3,437-1).
Almost. But you have to adjust slightly for the fact that a 7-card hand can have more than one 5-card straight flush (e.g., if the hand is 3,4,5,6,7,8,9, all of the same suit, it has three 5-card straight flushes). This means the chance of at least one straight flush in the seven cards is a bit lower than the figure your calculation gives. I make the odds about 3,590-1.

Re: Poker odds Out of curiosity Slapdash can you work this one out, seeing as The Party Poker bad beat jackpot is running at $600,000+ The required hands have to include both hole cards and the losing hand must be quad 8's or better. I reckon I must have played 2,000,000 plus hands of poker and I have never seen a qualifying hand Half expecting a deep thought type responce from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on this one Just thought, the above odds dont take into account that every one doesnt play every single pair of suited connectors and most dont chase their runner runner straight flushes even if they do. So the odds of seeing a straight flush will be far higher

Re: Poker odds

Out of curiosity Slapdash can you work this one out, seeing as The Party Poker bad beat jackpot is running at $600,000+ The required hands have to include both hole cards and the losing hand must be quad 8's or better.
Which hand has to include both hole cards? Both of them? And can the winning hand be anything, so long as the losing hand is quad 8s or better?
Half expecting a deep thought type responce from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on this one
I'm pretty sure the odds are longer than 42/1!

• 2 weeks later...