High Stakes Poker Season 4 Episode 1

FatBoyFat

Re: High Stakes Poker Season 4 Episode 1 They have obviously been following this forum they have gone 7 2 crazy now in series 4, amazing play between Hellmuth and Matasow here :lol:lol http://www.pokertube.com/ShowMovie.aspx?movieID=b7d1a0fa-9d8d-44c8-aa47-543e23190feb&comeFrom=Search&StartPage=1&pIndex=1&PageView=0&FreeText=high%20stakes%20poker%20s04&OrderBy=Latest

Re: High Stakes Poker Season 4 Episode 1 For anyone who can't register on Pokerbay (like me) It's also on Pokertube :ok Stunning balls from Hellmuth to go for it, but Matusow was trying to act like the great player he isn't by folding the Kings face up :rollin. Also disaster for that amateur trying to bluff with 7,2 v ermmm.... quad kings :rollin:rollin Loved the first 3 series, this series isn't failing to impress either.

Re: High Stakes Poker Season 4 Episode 1 I don't actually mind Mike's fold at the end - the only hand he is probably beating is a bluff or AQ/AJ - phil is unlikely to re-raise with much less PF than AA QQ JJ and then check the flop (so I can't see him having AJ, maybe AQ just maybe) Also wouldn't you check the flop if you hit trips and let the LAAG bet out for you - the trips is prefect trapping material against a player like Mike? I love the bet on the turn and then asking how much money the villian has left before betting 2/3 of his stack on the river (esp as Phil knows that Mike has only one buy-in and can't afford to go broke on hand 2) Mike and Phil are friends and Mike has a good idea how Phil plays - Phil is generally TAG and likes to play small pots before getting his chips/cash in the middle postflop when he has a proper read of his position and his oppo's - he doesn't like to gamble PF makes sense if you think it through - Mikes mistake was to not re-re-raise PF and/or raise the turn after Phils bet - if he makes it another 20K on the turn and Phil calls/shoves, its an easy laydown either now or on the river Damo

For anyone who can't register on Pokerbay (like me) It's also on Pokertube :ok Stunning balls from Hellmuth to go for it, but Matusow was trying to act like the great player he isn't by folding the Kings face up :rollin. .

Re: High Stakes Poker Season 4 Episode 1

I don't actually mind Mike's fold at the end - the only hand he is probably beating is a bluff or AQ/AJ - phil is unlikely to re-raise with much less PF than AA QQ JJ and then check the flop (so I can't see him having AJ, maybe AQ just maybe) Also wouldn't you check the flop if you hit trips and let the LAAG bet out for you - the trips is prefect trapping material against a player like Mike? I love the bet on the turn and then asking how much money the villian has left before betting 2/3 of his stack on the river (esp as Phil knows that Mike has only one buy-in and can't afford to go broke on hand 2) Mike and Phil are friends and Mike has a good idea how Phil plays - Phil is generally TAG and likes to play small pots before getting his chips/cash in the middle postflop when he has a proper read of his position and his oppo's - he doesn't like to gamble PF makes sense if you think it through - Mikes mistake was to not re-re-raise PF and/or raise the turn after Phils bet - if he makes it another 20K on the turn and Phil calls/shoves, its an easy laydown either now or on the river Damo
Christ, i wasn't talking about the mechanics of the hand, simply Matusow trying to show off by folding the Kings face up as opposed to mucking them, i'm not laughing at him folding just laughing at Matusow in general. Post the hand up in strategy and i may make my own opinion on the hand, but i just watch the show for fun mainly but fair play to you for analysing it, i'm sure you're right.

Re: High Stakes Poker Season 4 Episode 1 it did backfire on him - trying to look 'clever' and everyone taking the proverbial what I don't get is why folks only ever fold good cards face up - they never show the bluffs when they get caught - like the guy who spunked tens of thousands of dollars with his 72 vs the KK quads! and folded to the min raise :rollin Damo

Christ' date=' i wasn't talking about the mechanics of the hand, simply Matusow trying to show off by folding the Kings face up as opposed to mucking them[/quote']

it did backfire on him - trying to look 'clever' and everyone taking the proverbial what I don't get is why folks only ever fold good cards face up - they never show the bluffs when they get caught - like the guy who spunked tens of thousands of daollars with his 72 vs the KK quads! and folded to the min raise :rollin Damo
I know what you mean, he could have changed his gameplay by showing the 7,2 face up to represent being loose and then mopped up with some big hands, but i guess the pressure is immense surrounded by big pros - particularly Hellmuth on your left, bright lights and cameras you'd probably want to avoid being subject of abuse for showing the 7,2 bluff.

For anyone who can't register on Pokerbay (like me) It's also on Pokertube :ok Stunning balls from Hellmuth to go for it, but Matusow was trying to act like the great player he isn't by folding the Kings face up :rollin. Also disaster for that amateur trying to bluff with 7,2 v ermmm.... quad kings :rollin:rollin Loved the first 3 series, this series isn't failing to impress either.
I think he has reason to think he is a great player with over $6 million in Tournament winnings and probably several times that in high stakes ring games. I personally think he is one of the best, he is not just a one trick pony too like Hellmuth, he has been successful at PLO, Stud and HORSE :ok

I think he has reason to think he is a great player with over $6 million in Tournament winnings and probably several times that in high stakes ring games. I personally think he is one of the best' date=' he is not just a one trick pony too like Hellmuth, he has been successful at PLO, Stud and HORSE :ok[/quote'] I agree. More than many players, his strength seems to be making big decisions for a lot of chips, and inevitably sometimes he gets them wrong and looks a clown. I think he suffers from bipolar disorder, too, and on a bad day he can certainly play badly. The fact that he's achieved so much indicates that on a good day he's pretty formidable. I suspect that if he were more psychologically stable, he could have achieved even more. Although if he were more psychologically stable, maybe he'd have done something more sensible than being a professional poker player.

I agree. More than many players, his strength seems to be making big decisions for a lot of chips, and inevitably sometimes he gets them wrong and looks a clown. I think he suffers from bipolar disorder, too, and on a bad day he can certainly play badly. The fact that he's achieved so much indicates that on a good day he's pretty formidable. I suspect that if he were more psychologically stable, he could have achieved even more. Although if he were more psychologically stable, maybe he'd have done something more sensible than being a professional poker player.
That'll be the cocaine (allegedly :unsure)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: High Stakes Poker Season 4 Episode 1 Episode 2 is now on pokertube too. This series is getting better and better :notworthy. Matusow is on fire, made some beautiful moves, also an interesting point when Hellmuth had to ask Phil Laak about the hand odds in a match up, you'd think Hellmuth would know these things being 11 times bracelet winner, if you didn't know ;) but then again Hellmuth did say at this years WSOP on a final table that 'the internet players would push with this (when he was total short stack) but he folded, then picked up bullets next hand and doubled through to which he said 'there's the rest of the world then there's me' :rollin

• 2 weeks later...

also an interesting point when Hellmuth had to ask Phil Laak about the hand odds in a match up' date=' you'd think Hellmuth would know these things being 11 times bracelet winner, if you didn't know ;) [/quote'] EP 4 now up on pokertube and in the last one of the four he asks again even when he sees the cards on the table :eek hmmm maybe he needs a basic lesson in pot odds? (maybe that is why he flips when folks call him with KQ vs his AJ - he might think he is an 80/20 fav or something perhaps?) Damo

So I take it Laak is still "in the grid" then?
LOL - nah its a new day - so its Dan N, Eli Ereza, Jamie Gold, Sammy Farha and a couple of others - so I will let you guess how much action there is in the game! oh, and they are playing the straddle and double straddle, so its 2400 to even call PF :rollin Damo ps and its worth watching just to see what they all do when Phil arrives after the game has started! ep 3/4 & 4/4 are the best - some interesting play