Betting on TV games/races

Just another general question, what effect does whether a game is live on TV or not have on your betting patterns? I tend to find myself being more likely to bet on something if it is on TV. Firstly because there will be better information available on that match, more markets and the opportunity to bet in-running. I'll also sometimes have a small bet simply because there is a game on TV and it makes watching it more interesting. And in the end, win or lose, by watching the game or race on TV you are getting a first hand chance to study form for your later bets aswell! What are other people's thoughts on this?

Re: Betting on TV games/races

I'll also sometimes have a small bet simply because there is a game on TV and it makes watching it more interesting.
probably one of the most common mistakes (financially/betting wise) to which i'm a member of.

Re: Betting on TV games/races Only when there's a good chance the game will be as dull as ditchwater: (see:- England games) Back under 2.5 goals, small stakes. If its low scoring snorefest, i win money. If it's a high scoring game, its more likely to have been an interesting game to watch. A very rare example of a win-win IME. :dude edit - it never fits in as part of a system/strategy though, if that was your question.

Re: Betting on TV games/races

probably one of the most common mistakes (financially/betting wise) to which i'm a member of.
I think most punters are, which is why I'm asking the board - or is everyone else immune! TV games do tend to influence my choices in other ways aswell. If there's 2 games I'm looking at and 1's on TV, I'm likely to play that one (thus giving me the chance to bet in-play).

Re: Betting on TV games/races A lot of people make money from opposing the bias that the TV tends to show. Think about how pundits said that ManU were 'destined' to beat Milan in the semi-final and how England should always 'do the job'. These kind of things definitely sway peoples opinions and subsequently lowers prices. People do this on the horses as well i.e. opposing the tips that john mcririck and the likes go on about before a race. Even a quick trade on betfair is good enough to win a bit of cash from this. Also IMO, Betting 'in-running' is dangerous as theres always a delay on TV, and there a few bits of software hanging around which lets people bet from their phones from the match itself..which is really really live :)

Re: Betting on TV games/races I mostly bet in-running Premiership matches on betfair while I'm watching it on TV (I do a little research before the game, stats, injuries, form, interviews, team spirit etc). A lot of times I turn off the sound so the commentator doesn't distract me too much. My favorite betting is on over/under markets. Mostly just buy the under while the game is slow and lay it when a few attacks happen. When a goal happens I wait for a few minutes and then buy the correct score for small stakes (profit from over/under or a little more) and just lay it when a few serious attacks happen. Just simply following the temperament of the game, when it gets hot I lay under, when it's slow I buy under. A lot of times when I feel the goal is gonna be scored I just buy the attacking side and lay it after the goal is scored. If it's after 80th minute or later I do the same thing with the draw. The TV delay isn't really a problem IMO if you limit yourself to a reasonable profit. Anyway, it's a small part of a second, the betfair delay gives me most trouble. But it's just a matter of practise IME. This can be very tricky if you're emotionaly involved in the game. That's why I will never again do this when my country's team is playing. It's almost guaranteed that you will loose money if you bet on the game where your team is playing.