Will Omaha get as big as holdem!

SteveO

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem!

Ventured into omaha recently and find it a very enjoyable variant' date=' and more skillfull pot limit especially so. Do you think this will eventually become as popular as holdem?[/quote'] no..............but razz will :tongue2

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem! The only thing i know about Omaha is that the Pros love to play it on Full Tilt and not Texas Hold'em! :wall This could well be a sign though that Omaha is catching up with Holdem and if the publicity gets behind Omaha then you never know.

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem! Interesting question ... I've never known anything other than times of NL Holdem ... find it very hard to imagine any other variants being as popular .... however from what I understand, NL Holdem is very recent and just the latest "fad" ..... so seems inevitable it will be overtaken by something.....

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem! Love Omaha hi-lo not enough tournaments atm but hopefully will get up there but hard to see it getting up there with holdem for a while.But you never know when i started playing it was all 5 card stud and 5 card draw at the ripe old age of 7 lol

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem! I read an article a while ago before I'd played omaha that I think explains quite well why Omaha might not get as big as Texas hold'em. Basically it explains that because of the much larger edges involved in a game of Omaha, games can be a lot tighter and less exciting because starting hand selection is so important. You can't really play "small ball" as Daniel Negreanu calls it, as you can in texas hold'em, profitably. If anyone wants to read the article, the link is here http://www.playwinningpoker.com/omaha/strategy/. Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Cheers, Rob

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem!

I read an article a while ago before I'd played omaha that I think explains quite well why Omaha might not get as big as Texas hold'em. Basically it explains that because of the much larger edges involved in a game of Omaha' date=' games can be a lot tighter and less exciting because starting hand selection is so important. You can't really play "small ball" as Daniel Negreanu calls it, as you can in texas hold'em, profitably. If anyone wants to read the article, the link is here http://www.playwinningpoker.com/omaha/strategy/. Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Cheers, Rob
Assuming everyboday understands that about the game... many don't...

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem! No. About a year or so ago there was much talk about Omaha being on the up. However on the 3 sites that I currently have funded (Betfair, Boss and Bodog) Omaha comes off a very poor 2nd best. The two latter named ones don't even have mtts or stts for Omaha. What it would need is for some sites to run big games, say a weekly £20,000 game with satellites and such to get people interested. But they obviously know where they stand regards to Hold 'em and nobody seems particularly interested in pushing Omaha, which is a shame as it is my favourite game.

Re: Will Omaha get as big as holdem! You're right about starting hands Rob I believe you need to be even more selective than hold em. I'm currently playing 10c/20c on Stan James which is lower thatn my usual tables but I've MADE $50 - $100 in a couple of hrs on just one table at this level, the players really are that bad. I play pretty tight and always bet the pot with big draws or the absolute nuts, they give you no respect and mostly pay you off.